College venues | Syracusefan.com

College venues

20Plus

The more I watch college basketball over the years the more I realize even teams with average venues wether it is Penn State or Illinois or Wisconsin or Clemson they all have much more HomeCourt advantage and feel of home vs away. What’s even worse is they have more college spirit than 90% of our home games. Dome was great when it was on average 22k to 32k but those days are less than half of all regular-season games if not less!

It the college 2/3 empty prostyle arena

We play basketball in a barn of a football arena. It is amazing that we get as much noise for basketball as we do... especially when there are fewer than 25,000 there (a half-full football arena).

The 10,000-person arenas will always sound loud if they have a full house (e.g. Gampel when UConn was good, Notre Dame, Duke).

Considering we play in the equivalent of an airplane hangar, I think our crowds are pretty good ... especially when the game is competitive.

Last edited:
We averaged 21k fans last year when Syracuse hasn't had a really good regular season in a while. There is nothing to complain about.
That’s paid attendance!

Do you go to the games?

I didn’t actually start noticing it until other people started discussing it throughout the years.The more I pay attention the more I realize this is correct. You are incorrect it’s not just the ticket gate. I will tell you that less than half of games do you see anywhere near 20,000. Furthermore during those games the atmosphere is what it is.

It’s not conducive for typical college fan participation and enjoyment with how far the average seat is from the floor. Also with all the space and the lack of camaraderie within the sections.

I realize even teams with average venues wether it is Penn State or Illinois or Wisconsin or Clemson

I wouldn’t put Wisconsin and PSU in the same stratosphere as one another. Wisconsin has a fantastic basketball atmosphere and is usually packed whereas Penn St plays in an empty building regularly.

We play basketball in a barn of a football arena. It is amazing that we get as much noise for a basketball as we do... especially when there are fewer than 25,000 there (a half-full football arena).

The 10,000-person arenas will always sound loud if they have a full house (e.g. Gampel when UConn was good, Notre Dame or Duke).

Considering we play in the equivalent of an airport hangar, I think our crowds are pretty good ... especially when the game is competitive.
Are statements are not inclusive of each other I’m talking about spirit,feeling, and atmosphere along with 5000 no shows a game. You sit so close to the court how would you know how it feels to sit in the middle of the average first level section where half the people are on their phones and half the people are not there. If you even talking at a normal volume people can hear you it’s horrible

During normal game action that you here reactions crowd in momentum at other venues you don’t hear it because it doesn’t exist in our arena

I wouldn’t put Wisconsin and PSU in the same stratosphere as one another. Wisconsin has a fantastic basketball atmosphere and is usually packed whereas Penn St plays in an empty building regularly.
These are examples tonight it’s just seems like more of a college atmosphere spirit also are students are more interested in other college activities then sports. The student section has deteriorated steadily over the last 20 years.

Not the point. 21K in the Dome against a mediocre opponent can be like a morgue when everybody is so far from the court as well.
You must go to the games were anybody else that’s commenting does not because it’s not even up for debate discussion or argument it’s sucks I go because I love the game and I love the team but I do not enjoy it. This comes from somebody who has gone to at least 10 different venues to watch road games and neutral site game( regular season and postseason) our arena sucks! Don’t give me wrong you get 26 to 35,000 in there for a big upon it it becomes a whole different place but 20,000 or less

Look at the Buffalo game. It will prove my point as it will be a disadvantage because we will have more pressure on us to win because it’s at home than a HomeCourt advantage to intimidate Buffalo

You must go to the games were anybody else that’s commenting does not because it’s not even up for debate discussion or argument it’s sucks I go because I love the game and I love the team but I do not enjoy it. This comes from somebody who has gone to at least 10 different venues to watch road games and neutral site game( regular season and postseason) our arena sucks! Don’t give me wrong you get 26 to 35,000 in there for a big upon it it becomes a whole different place but 20,000 or less

Look at the Buffalo game. It will prove my point as it will be a disadvantage because we will have more pressure on us to win because it’s at home than a HomeCourt advantage to intimidate Buffalo

I haven’t been to a game in the Dome in over a decade. I see them on the road when I can. But, just on TV with the layout of the seating, the acoustics of the airplane hangar, etc., it’s easy to confirm what you’re saying.

We play basketball in a barn of a football arena. It is amazing that we get as much noise for a basketball as we do... especially when there are fewer than 25,000 there (a half-full football arena).

The 10,000-person arenas will always sound loud if they have a full house (e.g. Gampel when UConn was good, Notre Dame or Duke).

Considering we play in the equivalent of an airport hangar, I think our crowds are pretty good ... especially when the game is competitive.
I go to every game every year for 20 years. I think I have a better perspective on the overall fan experience than someone who goes to two or three games a year and someone who goes to great games in great seats.

There will probably be no noise whatsoever for Buffalo unless we’re losing with under 10 to play. Just like Bonnies last year.

I don’t really know what can be done about it? You get those games with 20,000 or so and no students, and everyone just seems to feel out of the action IMO. You just don’t have enough people looking to be into the game from the get-go.

I’ve been in the Dome for an NIT game where it was loud with 6,000 people, because everyone there was into the game and going nuts.

I think the setting makes it harder for people to get into the game.

I go to every game every year for 20 years. I think I have a better perspective on the overall fan experience than someone who goes to two or three games a year and someone who goes to great games in great seats.

I think she was generally agreeing with you from the beginning.

It’s not just the students who don’t show up. My entire row was empty the first 3 games besides 3 other people and I’m at center court in the third level. Season ticket holders don’t get there either.

The more I watch college basketball over the years the more I realize even teams with average venues wether it is Penn State or Illinois or Wisconsin or Clemson they all have much more HomeCourt advantage and feel of home vs away. What’s even worse is they have more college spirit than 90% of our home games. Dome was great when it was on average 22k to 32k but those days are less than half of all regular-season games if not less!

It the college 2/3 empty prostyle arena

Our attendance is excellent I went to the Ville OT game 2 years ago which was on a Monday and that was a better crowd than we'd have had a decade+ ago after the National Championship when I still lived in the area. Was better than the Wisconsin crowd a year before which was also very good that I attended. Nothing wrong with our attendance but if we lose tomorrow and vs Georgetown it will be down for the ACC games for obvious reasons and we don't need threads about it.

We charge a little too much for big crowds against the lesser opponents but anyone with the pulse has more people than an NBA game.

We would have insane crowds at Manley if we went the Gonzaga/Duke model and stayed there but I think that would be kind of lame. The Zags built an intentionally small arena half the size of the main one for Spokane they sometimes play tournament games at how lame is that they should be playing across town and packing it out in front of twice the people.

Donation structures make college basketball a pretty crappy sport to be a season ticket holder for you have to donate a fortune just for the right to buy expensive seats at most places us included.

Attendance thread on the basketball forum.

Top 25 Ranking discussions on the football forum.

Pretty sure our programs just pulled a Freaky Friday...

Yeah, attendance is incredible. Consider we haven’t had a really good regular season since 2014, but attendance has remained consistent for mediocre teams.

Atmosphere is another discussion. It’s good for maybe 5 games a year, and IMO has taken steps backwards recently IMO.

I recall in the past when the student section had gotten weak, there was a big time focus to improve it. And it worked, for a couple years at least. Have they done anything recently?

They don’t do the “who’s he?” “So what”, etc. anymore. The big heads are long gone. Just seems like there’s not much going on there in recent years. I miss the anything can happen feel of past Dome years.

Last edited:
And the thing is, if you ask opposing coach's, they always list Syracuse as one of the toughest places to play.

Yeah, it is what it is.

It will never be a place with a super exciting atmosphere for most games. But it will always be a tough place to play, and it’s “peak” is something that no other arena can come close to matching.

Overall, it’s a good trade off.

Yeah, it is what it is.

It will never be a place with a super exciting atmosphere for most games. But it will always be a tough place to play, and it’s “peak” is something that no other arena can come close to matching.

Overall, it’s a good trade off.
Those of us that were around for Manley do know the difference but the Dome gives more than it gives away.

And the thing is, if you ask opposing coach's, they always list Syracuse as one of the toughest places to play.
No just the team
Numerous coaches have state the sound is above the court

Those of us that were around for Manley do know the difference but the Dome gives more than it gives away.
That's correct. It provides a different kind of home court advantage than Manley, but it provides one nonetheless, and particularly so for big games.

The Dome creates a home court advantage when we need it. When we're playing Colgate, I couldn't care less how many fans are in attendance. I bet the players don't care either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom