Complete Disgrace | Syracusefan.com

Complete Disgrace

B

BoomStickO

1) It makes me sick that this team lost to Rutgers... Credit Rutgers with sticking to umm... I'm not really sure, but they won.

2) The coach put too much pressure on the players? Did he flip out a single time on the football field? I saw a picture of calm. Maybe some put too much emphasis on this game being a win. I think it's amusing many fans still deny a rivalry between the two teams. Well, SU-Rutgers, we may have hardly known ye.

3) I'm completely disgusted with the doomsday attitude on the board. I know... It's just fans being fans. But holy geez... Show some dignity. Put the coach down, put the team down... Maybe some of you need to put yourself down and take a walk. I come to this board because I feel it enhances my experience. I think some come here to ruin it.

4) Put this one on the coaches... Rutgers found a weakness in SU's special teams coverage and exploited it... Marrone didn't throw three interceptions in the red zone. Marrone didn't fumble the ball away multiple times. This game wasn't on the coach, it was on the team's leaders. Gen. Lee once said if you can't trust your personnel, they shouldn't be employed. Think about it.

5) Enjoy your week and scratch 2011's Rutgers game from your memory instead of acting the part of the abused child.

Gen. Lee once said if you can't trust your personnel, they shouldn't be employed. Think about it.

I bet the OL thought about it when we didn't go for it with 4th and inches in OT.

agreed Bees total lack of Balls on Dougs part. Last point on the fourth down. At a minimum why not try and draw them off sides? Worst case is we take a delay of game move back 5 yards and give Krout a better angle. Doug was really off his game.

1)
4) Put this one on the coaches... Rutgers found a weakness in SU's special teams coverage and exploited it... Marrone didn't throw three interceptions in the red zone. Marrone didn't fumble the ball away multiple times. This game wasn't on the coach, it was on the team's leaders. Gen. Lee once said if you can't trust your personnel, they shouldn't be employed. Think about it.

You had a good post going until point 4.

The coaching problems yesterday were so blatantly obvious, I can't really take your post seriously. If you didn't see them, I'm not sure there is much to say.

You had a good post going until point 4.

The coaching problems yesterday were so blatantly obvious, I can't really take your post seriously. If you didn't see them, I'm not sure there is much to say.
I think before you denigrate my statement, we should watch and see how this team responds... not so much next week, but in the next two weeks to see how the coaches judge and adjust to these exposures. We, the fans, can blame coaching all day. You're right, the scheme wasn't working... One game does not a bad coach make. Let's see how they adjust that scheme. It's hard to make adjustments on the fly game day when the team is full of newcomers just learning the system let alone improvising in it.

With special teams, it's very difficult to make tweeks during game time because each player needs to understand their role in the big scheme.

I bet the OL thought about it when we didn't go for it with 4th and inches in OT.
Complain all you want Bees, but you would eat crow if Marrone went for it and didn't make it. The team lived to fight into the second overtime. Bailey ran well the first time and then fumbled... Didn't he have a shoulder injury, which may have had something to do with it... EXCUSES. It looked like the team could at least kick a field goal and had the ball moving well in the overtimes (that's not coaching either) and may have even scored a TD in the second. It's easy to say GO FOR IT when you're not the one making the decisions.

What would everyone be saying this morning if the players (not Marrone or Hackett) did not pick-up the first down and Rutgers kicked a field goal in the first OT to win it? Marrone made the right decision by electing to take the points. Everything was working as planned in the second OT when the defense held Rutgers to a field goal except for one thing. Bailey fumbled and the Cuse lost a college football game. I have sitting in the Dome for the past 21 seasons I am sure its not the last time SU will lose a game. The only person I feel bad for today is Antwon Bailey.

I would like to give you some examples of what people would be saying if Marrone went for it on 4th and one in the first OT and they did not get the first down:
  • Marrone is an idiot.
  • Marrone should be fired.
  • Why didn't we hire Addazzio?
  • Why didn't Marrone just take the points and let his defense do their jobs.
  • Marrone didn't have any faith in his defense stopping Rutgers in OT.
  • Didn't Marrone remember what happened in the Toledo game when we got stopped on fourth and inches?
I know its disappointing to lose to Rutgers but it is time to move on. Lets look forward to the boys kicking Tulane's a$$, getting a bye week to get the team healthy, and then beating WVU before a big crowd in the dome.

I for one will be happy with a 7-5 record and another trip to the Pinstripe Bowl since we are only in year #3 of the Marrone rebuilding project.

Well the sun is out and everything is good today (despite the loss to Rutgers). Time to head out and mow the lawn. See you in the dome on October 21st !!

What would everyone be saying this morning if the players (not Marrone or Hackett) did not pick-up the first down and Rutgers kicked a field goal in the first OT to win it? Marrone made the right decision by electing to take the points. Everything was working as planned in the second OT when the defense held Rutgers to a field goal except for one thing. Bailey fumbled and the Cuse lost a college football game. I have sitting in the Dome for the past 21 seasons I am sure its not the last time SU will lose a game. The only person I feel bad for today is Antwon Bailey.

Any intelligent fan would have said Marrone was trying for the win and not cared. Who gives an F about what the idiots think. Playing the what if game is dumb. What if the kick was blocked again? What if RU scores a TD? What if we block their FG? What if RU scores a TD in double OT? Etc, etc, etc. If you have a chance to knock the other team down you take it. Playing the let's try and survive for another OT is defeatist.

Kicking the points automatically puts pressure on Rutgers to score... Mr. Defeatist. Not getting anything gives the game away if they kick the points or score a TD. And you still like the odds... Oh well.

Kick Tulane's Butt

I would like to give you some examples of what people would be saying if Marrone went for it on 4th and one in the first OT and they did not get the first down:
  • Marrone is an idiot.
  • Marrone should be fired.
  • Why didn't we hire Addazzio?
  • Why didn't Marrone just take the points and let his defense do their jobs.
  • Marrone didn't have any faith in his defense stopping Rutgers in OT.
  • Didn't Marrone remember what happened in the Toledo game when we got stopped on fourth and inches?
I know its disappointing to lose to Rutgers but it is time to move on. Lets look forward to the boys kicking Tulane's a$$, getting a bye week to get the team healthy, and then beating WVU before a big crowd in the dome.

I for one will be happy with a 7-5 record and another trip to the Pinstripe Bowl since we are only in year #3 of the Marrone rebuilding project.

Well the sun is out and everything is good today (despite the loss to Rutgers). Time to head out and mow the lawn. See you in the dome on October 21st !!

Marrone would have been critisized, you're right. But criticism and tough choices come with the head coaching territory. We can only go by what happened, not what might have occurred. And what happened is Marrone chickened out and -- this is a statement of fact -- his choice there led to Syracuse losing the game... On to WVU, I agree. Stuff happens.

Marrone would have been critisized, you're right. But criticism and tough choices come with the head coaching territory. We can only go by what happened, not what might have occurred. And what happened is Marrone chickened out and -- this is a statement of fact -- his choice there led to Syracuse losing the game... On to TULANE, I agree. Stuff happens.
Really... And what do you do for a living, COACH. How do you know if Marrone chickened out or made the right decision? Are you psychic? You probably know then what I'm going to write next... Oh wait, you already stated what you think happened and should have seen this post coming!

Bailey fumbled the ball after running for a first down in second overtime... Looked to me like this team still had a chance to win it in the second half. Looks to me like the first overtime decision did not directly lead to losing the game. And by the way, on to Tulane next week. Who's the one paying attention?

I think before you denigrate my statement, we should watch and see how this team responds... not so much next week, but in the next two weeks to see how the coaches judge and adjust to these exposures. We, the fans, can blame coaching all day. You're right, the scheme wasn't working... One game does not a bad coach make. Let's see how they adjust that scheme. It's hard to make adjustments on the fly game day when the team is full of newcomers just learning the system let alone improvising in it.

With special teams, it's very difficult to make tweeks during game time because each player needs to understand their role in the big scheme.

I never said Marrone was a bad coach and two weeks from now we have a bye.

That said, it was a poor coaching day yesterday and a number of the coaching decisions made were simply bad. It happens. Hopefully, its a rare anomaly and we certainly have not seen the staff have lapses in decisions like this before.

I think we do need someone to be assigned specifically of special teams and be personally responsible for that important aspect of the game, however, because that's been a problem this year for sure - and yesterday was simply the worst of many examples.

It is what it is -- You can spin it any way you like. Nothing psychic about it. The end result is in black and white. You guys are the ones speculating. about how people might have responded.

Tulane got crushed by Army. I'm just skipping over that. The "second season" starts against WVU. Tulane is a speed bump on the way.

People bitching about the 4th and 1 in OT are being ridiculous. So we get the first down and score a TD then Rutgers goes for it on 4th and 1 in OT and its no guarantee we get the yard or Rutgers doesn't score in OT. We made a lot of mistakes in coaching, but the OT decision was not one of them.

Kicking the points automatically puts pressure on Rutgers to score... Mr. Defeatist. Not getting anything gives the game away if they kick the points or score a TD. And you still like the odds... Oh well.

Kick Tulane's Butt

Um the team with the ball first is at a serious disadvantage. That is why teams choose to go on D first. The only way to put pressure back on that team is to score a TD. If it were 4th and 1 then we should kick the FG. But it was 4th and inches. The success rate of converting is very very high. Not to mention that our FGs the last two games have been awful. There is a greater chance of getting the 1st than getting the FG there. When you are on O you have control of your own destiny. Why give that control to the other team if you don't have to?

Did SU make the field goal or not... They did. Rutgers didn't score a TD. It was a SMART CALL to kick the points. The FUMBLE COST THE GAME in the second overtime. You do know there was a second overtime don't you?

I'll ask the same question. Are you a head coach? Maybe you should submit your application if you can run this team better. I know, you probably wanted the team to hire Al Golden or Addazio (if that's how you spell his name and/or lost to Toledo) or Leech or that idiot who let his kid drive his car and get a DUI...

Did SU make the field goal or not... They did. Rutgers didn't score a TD. It was a SMART CALL to kick the points. The FUMBLE COST THE GAME in the second overtime. You do know there was a second overtime don't you?

I'll ask the same question. Are you a head coach? Maybe you should submit your application if you can run this team better. I know, you probably wanted the team to hire Al Golden or Addazio (if that's how you spell his name and/or lost to Toledo) or Leech or that idiot who let his kid drive his car and get a DUI...

1.) I'm not a head coach. I'm pretty sure I don't need to be a doctor either to know when someone is dead.

2.) I want Marrone to be the head coach. He didn't do anything close to deserve to get fired. I just think it was a bad call. You don't. We disagree. The world will go on. Nothing more on this from me.

Just wow. Your argument is the same as those who played the "what if" game with the PAT last week vs Toledo. The only thing we know for sure is that 1. we lost and that 2. kicking a FG puts control of the game to the other team. That is all. Also not EVERY HC would have kicked it there. Does that mean they are not HCs as well? Also you do not need to be a HC to understand strategy. In fact most HCs fail at strategy and are awful at time management. Just because I disagree with Marrone doesn't mean I think he is a bad HC or should be fired. Do you really think that every HC makes the right decision every time? And that they all would make the same decision given the same situation? And that they are not human and NEVER make mistakes? This is so silly. And yes I realize that there was a second OT. The point is we should have tried to win in the 1st OT.

Just wow. Your argument is the same as those who played the "what if" game with the PAT last week vs Toledo. The only thing we know for sure is that 1. we lost and that 2. kicking a FG puts control of the game to the other team. That is all. Also not EVERY HC would have kicked it there. Does that mean they are not HCs as well? Also you do not need to be a HC to understand strategy. In fact most HCs fail at strategy and are awful at time management. Just because I disagree with Marrone doesn't mean I think he is a bad HC or should be fired. Do you really think that every HC makes the right decision every time? And that they all would make the same decision given the same situation? And that they are not human and NEVER make mistakes? This is so silly. And yes I realize that there was a second OT. The point is we should have tried to win in the 1st OT.
Wrong.

Edit: The team lost because Bailey fumbled in the second overtime... Not because we kicked a field goal in the first.

Wrong.

Great rebuttal. BTW what were your thoughts on the 4th down our last drive of regulation? Most coaches would have punted their. An incomplete pass gives RU the ball at midfield. And an INT like we saw put RU in FG position. Had RU kicked the FG to win in regulation, would Marrone have been wrong to go for it? I agreed with him going for it there and had no issue with it. But if you are so sure the OT 4th down decision was correct, wouldn't the end of regulation be incorrect?

Complain all you want Bees, but you would eat crow if Marrone went for it and didn't make it

How do you know what I would have done? Eat crow? Ok, I guess.

Marrone basically said "i have no confidence in this team to move the ball one foot". Su gave the game away and here was a chance to say to them that if you want to win play like you want to win. Kick some ass get the first down or go home. RU as bad as they played deserved to win because playing at home in front of 40,000 plus fans we had no balls to shove in down their throat. Totally F%%$ng discouraged with having the golden oppurtunity to beat SU's biggest and most hated rival and playing like panzies.

Complain all you want Bees, but you would eat crow if Marrone went for it and didn't make it. The team lived to fight into the second overtime. Bailey ran well the first time and then fumbled... Didn't he have a shoulder injury, which may have had something to do with it... EXCUSES. It looked like the team could at least kick a field goal and had the ball moving well in the overtimes (that's not coaching either) and may have even scored a TD in the second. It's easy to say GO FOR IT when you're not the one making the decisions.

I totally agree. You can disagree with the decision all you want- nothing wrong with that. But to call it bad coaching or a horrible decision is moronic. If we go and don't make it( an extremely good possibility) it's game over. Instead we got it to the 2nd OT so wth are people talking about?

You said it (referring to your question on what you would have done). There you go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom