Class of 2014 - Concerned about our lack of RB recruits | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Concerned about our lack of RB recruits

doug Hogue and darell smith turned out to be two very fast linebackers for us...fast athletes is what we need too.

I certainly respect Bnoro's and Money's thoughts but getting a couple great backs in 2015 isnt going to do much for next year if Erv doesnt qualify and one or two backs go down to injury. Syracuse is playing with big time fire if we dont bring in another RB recruit this year.

I am with Bnoro and money I am comfortable waiting until 2015 as long as we can get a stud, should be an easy sell for early playing time.

We have done a good job recruiting the other skill positions so I think we can land a couple kids but this year has shown its far from a lock that we can land a "stud" back. I am not comfortable going into the season with 3rbs one of which has been hurt pretty much every year.

With all the talented WRs coming in and Jarrod West possibly staying, Broyld who was a RB last yr can play the 4th RB too.

Broylds not going back to RB for Syracuse under any circumstances. Hes not a RB and the current staff has zero desire to play him there.

I certainly respect Bnoro's and Money's thoughts but getting a couple great backs in 2015 isnt going to do much for next year if Erv doesnt qualify and one or two backs go down to injury. Syracuse is playing with big time fire if we dont bring in another RB recruit this year.

Losing a couple of running backs could happen but not often. We haven’t had that kind of bad luck with RB’s that I can remember. If you got down to the 4th stringer you could always go to Naes. Shoot I’d like Naes better as a frontline RB than I would Erv.

One running back set where nobody gets more than 15 carries anyways.

PTG
Morris
McFarlene
Erv
Moore
Naes

I'm far more worried about the OLine and the DLine.

Losing a couple of running backs could happen but not often. We haven’t had that kind of bad luck with RB’s that I can remember. If you got down to the 4th stringer you could always go to Naes. Shoot I’d like Naes better as a frontline RB than I would Erv.

One running back set where nobody gets more than 15 carries anyways.

PTG
Morris
McFarlene
Erv
Moore
Naes

I'm far more worried about the OLine and the DLine.

Syracuse returns most of its O line and D line so I am not overly concerned there. D line is a bit sketchy but theres quality guys there and we can always grab a JUCO kid late. RB concerns me because PTG has an injury history and Morris and McFarlane have played only spot duty at best. We have no way of knowing if those guys can hold up to the pounding a RB takes at the D1 level. We do have Erv but if he doesnt qualify (which is likely) that leaves us with 3 rbs and AAM (if he returns). Howard could be moved but if he isnt cross training at both positions from the start hes going to struggle with pass blocking, and the intracacies of the position. Would feel a lot better if we brought in another guy even if its a B level kid.

Syracuse returns most of its O line and D line so I am not overly concerned there. D line is a bit sketchy but theres quality guys there and we can always grab a JUCO kid late. RB concerns me because PTG has an injury history and Morris and McFarlane have played only spot duty at best. We have no way of knowing if those guys can hold up to the pounding a RB takes at the D1 level. We do have Erv but if he doesnt qualify (which is likely) that leaves us with 3 rbs and AAM (if he returns). Howard could be moved but if he isnt cross training at both positions from the start hes going to struggle with pass blocking, and the intracacies of the position. Would feel a lot better if we brought in another guy even if its a B level kid.

Another guy (particularly B lister) doesn't alieviate the concerns you have about Naes - pass blocking and intricacies of the position etc. Its just a body taking up a scholarship.

I worry more about the OLine and DLine because that's where injuries happen and depth isnt good. Better depth on the Oline but unproven.

Broylds not going back to RB for Syracuse under any circumstances. Hes not a RB and the current staff has zero desire to play him there.
You're probably right but if we have a game where both Morris and McFarlane are unable to play what are our options. Still can't wrap my head around if PTG is eligible next yr after playing the last 4 yrs.

You're probably right but if we have a game where both Morris and McFarlane are unable to play what are our options. Still can't wrap my head around if PTG is eligible next yr after playing the last 4 yrs.

PTG got a medical redshirt for the season he hurt his arm and only played in a game or two. If the M&M boys went down it woudl have to be Erv (if he makes it) or probably Howard.

Another guy (particularly B lister) doesn't alieviate the concerns you have about Naes - pass blocking and intricacies of the position etc. Its just a body taking up a scholarship.

I worry more about the OLine and DLine because that's where injuries happen and depth isnt good. Better depth on the Oline but unproven.

It might not alieviate it fully but it provides depth and a guy who will be given reps and training at the position from the start of camp, not trying to move a safety to RB god knows how far along into the season. It also protects against having to be or boom bust in the next class if you have a young guy you redshirted and feel good about.

Losing a couple of running backs could happen but not often. We haven’t had that kind of bad luck with RB’s that I can remember. If you got down to the 4th stringer you could always go to Naes. Shoot I’d like Naes better as a frontline RB than I would Erv..

Count me in the concerned camp. Talk about taking a huge gamble going through the season with 3 rb's. And I don't want to hear anything about Brolyd, Naes, or Erv stepping in for 10 carries a game next year, there is a reason they were moved or not recruited at that position. With that said i don't want to see us settle for some 3rd or 4th tier back. Remember when we thought we were in good position for Ish, Erv, and possibly Ollision? We would have taken all 3 if they wanted to come here. That shows you the staff thought we needed to address the position as well. Now it looks like a gamble our 3 rb's don't get hurt. Tough spot, maybe we should have cast a larger net, but we thought we were solid with Ish

Not getting Ollison is frustrating. Power back from Buffalo. Nice offers. Western NY talent has been elusive the last few years. Williams the exception.

Not even a little concerned. It isn't going to be a power running team next year.

RB is the easiest position to play right away at. So, it would also be the easiest position to fill IF you have a team of athletic players. Gulley, McFarlane (who seemed to transition from defensive back pretty quickly) and Morris should get you through a season. Then you still have Ameen-Moore if things happen.

Given the way the chips have fallen (and the difficult of recruiting them), I am much more concerned about our OT recruiting if Ward goes elsewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom