Concerns | Syracusefan.com

Concerns

Mchandl8

Scout Team
Are we sure that Devito is all he’s hyped up to be? I was never convinced last season, and I thought he was pretty bad Saturday. Last season the NC game everyone praised him, I thought “He threw a pick that should’ve cost us the game.” His decision making has been pretty bad so far. When he did well it was coming in for Dungey and throwing deep, but it seemed like there was no plan B... he was throwing deep no matter what. Now it seems like he’s still thinking plan A or nothing. (Note the end of the half last week). All of this makes me quite nervous about Maryland... at this point I’m thinking 31-17 Maryland... god I hope I’m wrong

It’s been one game. Babers has laid out all of the reasons for DeVito’s struggles against Liberty. Watch the presser from yesterday.

Way, way, way too early to write off a RS Soph QB who came in highly touted and has extensive training at the position because we haven’t seen him successfully make intermediate throws yet.

The insecurity of this fan base never ceases to amaze me. Devito is going to be fine. SU will still win at least nine games. Teams have won national championships with far worse talents at QB and our defense and RBs can compete with all the top teams.

This defense is legit and will show that once again on Saturday. It will take time for this offense as it is a completely different animal with Tommy’s skill set in comparison to Eric’s. Good thing half the players on defense will play on Sundays.

If I had a dollar for every time an SU fan thought the sky was falling because of one rough performance (basketball or football) I’d be a rich man.

The insecurity of this fan base never ceases to amaze me. Devito is going to be fine. SU will still win at least nine games. Teams have won national championships with far worse talents at QB and our defense and RBs can compete with all the top teams.

This defense is legit and will show that once again on Saturday. It will take time for this offense as it is a completely different animal with Tommy’s skill set in comparison to Eric’s. Good thing half the players on defense will play on Sundays.

If I had a dollar for every time an SU fan thought the sky was falling because of one rough performance (basketball or football) I’d be a rich man.

I seem to recall a recent 15ish year run where the sky above SU football actually did fall ;)

Yes, we're sure... He might even be better than many think.

He was pressing on Saturday because play makers want to make plays but he's got every tool needed in his arsenal. He hasn't played regular football in 2 years, at some point the game the game will slow down for him and machine gun Tommy will turn into clockwork Tommy. Lord help whoever he's playing when that happens...

First college start
WR where all hurt in camp
Defense he faced was something he was not expecting nor faced in camp
WR did not help with the drops
Made two poor throws that where intercepted
Really looked great buying time on the screen plays
He will be fine

First college start
WR where all hurt in camp
Defense he faced was something he was not expecting nor faced in camp
WR did not help with the drops
Made two poor throws that where intercepted
Really looked great buying time on the screen plays
He will be fine

I agree but he had 4 throws that should have been picked off if not for the stone hands of Liberty defenders. One of those would have been a pick six. No sugar coating it he looked bad on every pass further than the line of scrimmage. He’s better than that and he’ll play better than he did.

I agree but he had 4 throws that should have been picked off if not for the stone hands of Liberty defenders. One of those would have been a pick six. No sugar coating it he looked bad on every pass further than the line of scrimmage. He’s better than that and he’ll play better than he did.
You are right about the one that was almost a pick six.
I wouldn't say every pass that went further then the line of scrimmage was bad, he had a few that hit the WRs right in the hands and then where dropped
His first pass to Hackett was on the money
I get he had a bad game but lets not take it extremes

The dropped pick 6 looked like a replay of the Spring Game where our D had a pick 6 when TD threw it and clearly didn't see a defender. That said I am on record we are going to be better at QB this year than last. That also said I was more concerned about the "um who was that going to" passes that we saw.

if he doesn't rush 2 deep throws those are tds. did he look any different than the nd qb last night who everyone loved last yr

You didn't really mean to say that, did you? I would take Book last night in a heartbeat. That is NOT to say that I wouldn't take an improved Devito over Book in the long term or that I don't think Devito will be fine...eventually.

There were a lot of poor games from really good QBs in week one. I'm not worried right now at all

I'm not too worried but people saying TD will be "fine" doesn't make me feel much better. I'm looking for him to become a star, starting really soon, not "fine"!

I think they are implying that the biggest improvement between games is from the 1st to the 2nd game. I think they are right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom