Conference news updates for 8/11: Big Ten and PAC12 OUT | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Conference news updates for 8/11: Big Ten and PAC12 OUT

Fair But if he catches covid his lungs of heart could be f-ed for life

He could just as easily catch it by being a student on campus. Does the risk drop because you're not playing football? At least on a football team you're generally surrounded by people that are very focused on not catching covid and are seriously following protocols. That is probably not the case with many regular students on campus.

We've constructed a society that punishes actual leadership and decision making.

I'll tell you, though, in the absence of actual leadership, the next best decision-making process goes something like:

"What's the most appropriate course of action for Syracuse University right now?"
"I don't know, let's wait and see what West Virginia and Kansas State do."

He could just as easily catch it by being a student on campus. Does the risk drop because you're not playing football? At least on a football team you're generally surrounded by people that are very focused on not catching covid and are seriously following protocols. That is probably not the case with many regular students on campus.
Also, if football is cancelled, do players still get the benefits of the virus apparatus set up for them currently? Legit question for anyone if they know, because I don’t know.

The benefits of constant testing and top notch medical care, along with being around like-minded individuals keeping you virus-conscious/on-point mentally is worth noting.

I heard that anyone who spent 1-3 nights a week at Chucks from 2011-2012 in its prime before idiot management took over and it eventually got bulldozed down are not at risk for covid because they surely caught their fair share of "things" inside the place that tripled their immune system response.

Ergo, every football player on the current team and every current student is at risk.

I heard that anyone who spent 1-3 nights a week at Chucks from 2011-2012 in its prime before idiot management took over and it eventually got bulldozed down are not at risk for covid because they surely caught their fair share of "things" inside the place that tripled their immune system response.

Ergo, every football player on the current team and every current student is at risk.
I believe this is known as "Fab Melo Immunity."

Miss ya, big fella.

Last edited:

I think this pretty much sums it up for me. But if he catches it, it won’t matter how. It will be said that a football player tested positive and therefore it will be associated with his playing football. There’s very little leeway in today’s news/social media cycle. Actually, there’s none.

Again, fundamentally not true that its just as easy to catch covid sitting in a class or walking to the library as playing a contact sport.

The average time a ball is actually in play in football is 11 minutes per the google. Average time of sitting next to people in a classroom from what I remember is way longer than that. Seems that the biggest risk on the field is from one’s teammates.

Again, fundamentally not true that its just as easy to catch covid sitting in a class or walking to the library as playing a contact sport.
That’s also assuming certain variables:

Athlete has same mindset playing vs not playing.

Athlete doesn’t put themselves in worse situations where they can catch COVID during the free hours previously occupied by football.

We disagree. I'd bet on the non-athlete student catching covid before the football player. Btw I'd say the NBA is a contact sport, how many of those guys have contracted covid since the games began? Not to mention the odds of serious damage to these healthy college athletes is ridiculously low.

EDIT: Btw when you play in a football game you're playing against other dudes that have been tested and do not appear to have covid. I'd say the odds are very low that you'd catch covid from playing a football game given the testing. And besides, the players themselves will have chosen to play. Why can't they be the ones to make that decision or at least have input?

We disagree. I'd bet on the non-athlete student catching covid before the football player. Btw I'd say the NBA is a contact sport, how many of those guys have contracted covid since the games began? Not to mention the odds of serious damage to these healthy college athletes is ridiculously low.

you not been paying attention? Lou Williams, strip club?

the nba is in a bubble. Like you can’t get onto the grounds

you not been paying attention? Lou Williams, strip club?

the nba is in a bubble. Like you can’t get onto the grounds

I get that but don't you think every player that steps out on to a football field to play in a game will have been tested? Doesn't mean that the tests are fool proof but I think the odds would be low which is why the overwhelming majority of players want to play.

D

My point - has any NBA player, including Lou Williams, picked up the virus from playing in a basketball game since games re-started? And don't you think every player that steps out on to a football field to play in a game will have been tested? Doesn't mean that the tests are fool proof but I think the odds would be low which is why the overwhelming majority of players want to play.

no because they have to go into quarentine for like 10-14 days if they leave the bubble...so of course no one has gotten it...that’s the whole point of the bubble.

a better compare in your example would be the ufc fights in the us

no because they have to go into quarentine for like 10-14 days if they leave the bubble...so of course no one has gotten it...that’s the whole point of the bubble.

a better compare in your example would be the ufc fights in the us

For sure those guys are all over each other- have any of them gotten the virus?

For sure those guys are all over each other- have any of them gotten the virus?

certain fighters have had fights cancelled because they were positive but I don’t believe anyone post fight...cause they are tested lIke 3 times going into the fight. I’m not disagreeing with your point at all.

But the nba is a completely different setup than what college football would have. Not a good compare

I just think too much focus has been on the likelihood of catching the virus versus the implications of catching the virus. No doubt a very contagious disease. The virus is very destructive to the elderly and people with certain conditions. So far the probability of dying from covid in the US for anybody under 25 is along the lines of one in 500K. Someone in that age range is more likely to die from the seasonal flu.

looks like there was one today...but again they are catching it before the fights.

i think the concern will football would be if someone is found to have it does the game get cancelled?

looks like there was one today...but again they are catching it before the fights.

i think the concern will football would be if someone is found to have it does the game get cancelled?

Depends. In the SEC if the first and second string all get it then maybe they postpone the game until Tuesday. ;)

I’m just gonna hold my tongue as this thread will likely be moved to OT again.

Side note- Can we start a thread about football where scientific evidence is the starting point for discussion.

I’m just gonna hold my tongue as this thread will likely be moved to OT again.

Side note- Can we start a thread about football where scientific evidence is the starting point for discussion.

I thought it was just a conversation about the pros and cons of shutting football down. Why so sensitive and why should this be moved to the OT board?
And I'd love to hear about the scientific evidence.

If I were the P3, I’d try to find some common ground in scheduling. Start same time, try to end same time and build in an extra bye week or two for a potential make up game. Line it all up for the same conference championship weekend and then just have the CFP to determine a champion, maybe some upper tier bowls if this thing gets better.

Definitely need a protocol for what happens if someone tests positive pregame. If they were negative the test before, and asymptomatic, can they just be isolated from the team and the game goes on? Saturday mornings are going to be wild with active/inactive, potential postponements.

...or maybe we’re pleasantly surprised and this isn’t a huge issue. ...but there certainly has to be contingency plans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom