Conference Realignment - Basketball Future | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Conference Realignment - Basketball Future

If we get to keep football in a watered down ACC but go back to the Big East for hoops that is a dream scenario. Its realistic too they either let us be FB only or take JMU or Coastal Carolina.

Worst case scenario IMO is a bid to the Big Ten or SEC I think it would destroy hoops and FB and we'd lose almost every game.

Second worst scenario is watered down ACC for both sports.

Third worst scenario is Big East hoops Indy FB

FB in any conference and BB back in the Big East is good it would be a mix of AAC and ACC schools and we could win it most years with it potentially carrying a playoff bid. Big 12 OK if we latch on there if the ACC dies. ACC surviving for 5 or so years until everyone realizes the conferences are too big and the scheduling miserable is a good outcome of course as well.
I'm genuinely curious because I'm not as up to speed on this as others on here on this topic, but if the P5 turns into a P2, how would it ruin Cuse hoops to be in one of those 2 conferences? Wouldn't not being in the P2 basically sentence Cuse to be a mid-major, unless basketball can be saved by the Big East being a bball powerhouse like the old days? I understand Cuse football could be a punching bag in the P2.

I'm genuinely curious because I'm not as up to speed on this as others on here on this topic, but if the P5 turns into a P2, how would it ruin Cuse hoops to be in one of those 2 conferences? Wouldn't not being in the P2 basically sentence Cuse to be a mid-major, unless basketball can be saved by the Big East being a bball powerhouse like the old days? I understand Cuse football could be a punching bag in the P2.
I think we are looking at 10 game conference play losing streaks being the norm and being Vandy/Rutgers in those conferences should we find our way into one. Both sports. Just no fit in either and we'd be entering as clear cut last member invited.

3 good options ACC holds, Big 12, or Big East BB and NOT Independent in FB.

Big East BB and Indy FB will suck.
Watered down ACC remnants for both will suck.
SEC or B1G will suck even if everyone celebrates making the cut at first once the games start it won't be fun or go well.

Beating up on a conference with ECU, Temple, Wake Forest, BC and getting a bid to the playoffs that way (far more likely than making it via a tough conference) sounds OK to me as long as we don't have to play those schools in hoops and can be in the Big East for everything else.

Beating up on a conference with ECU, Temple, Wake Forest, BC and getting a bid to the playoffs that way (far more likely than making it via a tough conference) sounds OK to me as long as we don't have to play those schools in hoops and can be in the Big East for everything else.
If anything, I see a watered down ACC as the death knell of Cuse hoops. Really hope that doesn't happen.

If Syracuse joins the Big East for basketball, I would also like to see Boston College, Duke, WF SMU and Tulane join as well.
Then add Army and Navy as FB only.

Big East Basketball
UConn
Syracuse
Duke
Villanova
Georgetown
Boston College
Providence
St John’s
Seton Hall
Wake Forest
Tulane
SMU

Last edited:
Doubtful that Duke is going anywhere without UNC.
It's probably the last rivalry that means anything.
Sadly.

But would love to see the Orange back in a basketball version of the Big East with many of our old pals...plus despicable G-town.

It really would be so much better if football broke away and modeled a league after the NFL but with multiple tiers or something like that. And then basketball and olympic sports go back to sensible regional conferences. That would look more like the old Big East for Cuse than the ACC.

It feels like it may be heading in that direction but will take a couple decades. Given the amount of money at stake, you can't really speed up the process because it likely needs to naturally progress to a point where it's financially beneficial for the top to change things. The NCAA is completely toothless or else maybe it could have organized something like that while keeping football under the NCAA umbrella.

As a lifelong SU hoops obsessive and someone who does not enjoy the sport of football, this ride has been a bummer since at least 2014.
That the continued existence/health of my beloved team, the only sports team I care about, is at the mercy of SEC/b1g meatheads and espn dip$___$... _f_ me

Last edited:
I really believe that people need to calm down. Nothing that has happened yet has hurt us. We have time to put ourselves in a position to be a half. Never put a down payment on worry. If something bad does happen, we have all the time in the world to whine about it at that point. Until that time, relax and see how this all plays out. Contrary to what some believe, we are not run by morons who are clueless.

I really believe that people need to calm down. Nothing that has happened yet has hurt us. We have time to put ourselves in a position to be a half. Never put a down payment on worry. If something bad does happen, we have all the time in the world to whine about it at that point. Until that time, relax and see how this all plays out. Contrary to what some believe, we are not run by morons who are clueless.

Fans of NY sports teams panicking... a tradition since... xxxx.. it's just what we do.

99% of the conference realignment predictions here seem to come from alcohol or drug induced hallucinations.
Bro you have to stop drinking and doing drugs on Saturday mornings.

Screenshot 2023-08-10 135144.png

:)

If Syracuse joins the Big East for basketball, I would also like to see Boston College, Duke, WF SMU and Tulane join as well.

Big East Basketball
UConn
Syracuse
Duke
Villanova
Georgetown
Boston College
Providence
St John’s
Seton Hall
Wake Forest
Tulane
SMU
No way I’d want those schools to play in their own BB league. Us and UConn as the only ones with FB teams. UConn would join the new league as a second FB only with us.

Maybe BC and Wake but preferably not and it’s just us to the Big East. BC left out would be fine by me.

It will not ruin Cuse Basketball.. I could see it helping sooner than later. Duke, Kanas, Arizona, Indiana and possibly Louisville are not going to be in the ultimate high level football league. Mostly cause they wont want to invest that much money to sustain what it will take from the top 30 teams. Hoops will live on cause of the money the 68 team NCAA tourney makes.. Its one big thing the NCAA does right.. At some point FB will break away 30ish teams and the rest will go back to regions.. I hope so bad its the Big East and FB with other eastern teams like Pitt, BC, Maryland, Duke etc

Big East Basketball
UConn
Syracuse
Duke
Villanova
Georgetown
Boston College
Providence
St John’s
Seton Hall
Wake Forest
Tulane
SMU
Folks, this is not going to happen.

I think we are looking at 10 game conference play losing streaks being the norm and being Vandy/Rutgers in those conferences should we find our way into one. Both sports. Just no fit in either and we'd be entering as clear cut last member invited.

3 good options ACC holds, Big 12, or Big East BB and NOT Independent in FB.

Big East BB and Indy FB will suck.
Watered down ACC remnants for both will suck.
SEC or B1G will suck even if everyone celebrates making the cut at first once the games start it won't be fun or go well.
This goes for everyone: If you don’t believe we can be competitive in the Big 10 or SEC in basketball, then what are we doing here?

This isn’t going to happen either. That version of the ACC will not get any bids. The conference will be as dead as the Pac-12.

Doubtful that Duke is going anywhere without UNC.
It's probably the last rivalry that means anything.
Sadly.

But would love to see the Orange back in a basketball version of the Big East with many of our old pals...plus despicable G-town.
UNC won’t have a problem leaving Duke behind.

USC/UCLA will be the last rivalry that means anything.

This isn’t going to happen either. That version of the ACC will not get any bids. The conference will be as dead as the Pac-12.
When it goes to 8 only 5/6 will come from Big Ten or SEC.

Dominating another league would be great for Syracuse. Sucking in one of those two wouldn’t.

This goes for everyone: If you don’t believe we can be competitive in the Big 10 or SEC in basketball, then what are we doing here?
I think we’d lose our brand immediately in those leagues.

Nebraska lost their football brand going to the Big Ten that’s how I think it would go.

Nebraska lost their football brand going to the Big Ten that’s how I think it would go.
I think it’s been losing steam since joining the ACC, we were the Big East like UNC/Duke are the ACC.

I won’t even pretend to know what’s going on with all this, but nothing I’ve read would lead me to believe your wrong, I hope you are but our brand isn’t even what it was 12 years ago, I hope this won’t be a death blow.

Football is different. You’re free to your opinion. I’d love to be in the Big 10 and I think we’d have more success there than the ACC.