Conference Realignment - Basketball Future | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Conference Realignment - Basketball Future

Does that mean Washington St and Oregon St become the 2 Pac ... theme song Can't C Me (on television)
It means they are in no man's land and a conference can get them on the cheap... perhaps half share?

Find a spot in the Big 10, or die
Sometimes I read articles stating Cuse would fit, probably just because of geography in comparison to the B12 and SEC. Gives me hope.

Long term I think we end up in the Big 12.
I agree, and if things are heading where they appear to be heading, it seems like not a bad option and could be a great basketball conference. Seems better than the top of the ACC breaking away and Cuse staying in a new version of the ACC with scrubs. Short of the B1G wanting Cuse and taking over the NE, or ESPN lobbying a SEC/ACC merger and calling it the East and paying based on performance which is very doubtful, B12 would be a life raft.

So it will be the "All Coast Conference"?

We are actually going to send non-rev sports 2k+ miles for a game/match/meet/contest?
I don’t know why the national media hasn’t picked up that if Cal and Stanford join, it would likely be for basketball and football only. Their Olympic sports could compete in the MPSF. Stanford already has some of their Olympic sports competing in this conference.

Syracuse football would only travel to the bay area once every two years. That’s no big deal for the additional travel. The basketball team would also only travel to the bay area once per year. It’s actually less travel than what Syracuse is doing this year by traveling to Hawaii for the Maui Invitational

Long term I think we end up in the Big 12.
Respect your feeling and appreciate your views but Syracuse in the Big 12 just does not make sense from a geographic perspective as well as not having any known rivalries outside of West Virginia. May be if we were located in Syracuse, KS instead of Syracuse, NY, it would be a good fit.

That said never expected there be a discussion about Stanford University or the University of California be in the ACC.

Respect your feeling and appreciate your views but Syracuse in the Big 12 just does not make sense from a geographic perspective as well as not having any known rivalries outside of West Virginia. May be if we were located in Syracuse, KS instead of Syracuse, NY, it would be a good fit.

That said never expected there be a discussion about Stanford University or the University of California be in the ACC.
If Cuse ends up in the Big 12, it's because the ACC imploded and the Big 12 threw Cuse a life raft and geography no longer matters. Also, in addition to WVU, you would likely see Uconn and others there if that's the way things break for Cuse. Gone are the days of sensible conferences.

If I had a say today:

My conference realignment today would be to have Syracuse in a conference with St. John’s, Notre Dame (basketball only), Louisville, Kentucky, Tennessee, Connecticut, Georgetown, Duke, UNC, Villanova, NCST, Clemson, Virginia, Pittsburgh and Georgia Tech. If there was a benefit in having 20 teams, then Dayton, Cincinnati, Marquette and Xavier . The name of the conference would be The Great Big Conference

Two divisions of 10 teams where each team would play the other teams in division home and away for 18 games. Then play each team in the other division once for a total of 10 games. The overall total would be 28 league games. Each team could play up to 2 out of conference games.

The divisions would look like this:

Syracuse…………….…Cincinnati
Villanov…………………Dayton
Connecticut…………. . Marquette
St. John’s…………..…..Xavier
Pittsburgh.……………..Notre Dame
Georgetown...…………Louisville
Duke…………………..Kentucky
UNC……………………Tennessee
NCS…………………. ..Clemson
Virginia.………………..Georgia Tech

(t is only a dream with no malice intended toward Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Florida St, Miami, Providence and BC

Last edited:
Sometimes I read articles stating Cuse would fit, probably just because of geography in comparison to the B12 and SEC. Gives me hope.
I like our chances with the Big 10. If the new goal is three super conferences with 24 schools each, the Big 10 will need to add six more programs.

Notre Dame would be one of the six. Then you figure UNC, Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Miami. Assuming they won’t take a second school from one of those states, or any states already covered by the conference, and assuming Clemson goes to the SEC, doesn’t the final choice come down to SU, BC, and UConn?

UConn, like Rutgers, is only NY adjacent. Is BC enough of a draw to beat us out?

I like our chances with the Big 10. If the new goal is three super conferences with 24 schools each, the Big 10 will need to add six more programs.

Notre Dame would be one of the six. Then you figure UNC, Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Miami. Assuming they won’t take a second school from one of those states, or any states already covered by the conference, and assuming Clemson goes to the SEC, doesn’t the final choice come down to SU, BC, and UConn?

UConn, like Rutgers, is only NY adjacent. Is BC enough of a draw to beat us out?
Agreed, I feel like it’s a sleeper option that could come to fruition.

I agree, and if things are heading where they appear to be heading, it seems like not a bad option and could be a great basketball conference. Seems better than the top of the ACC breaking away and Cuse staying in a new version of the ACC with scrubs. Short of the B1G wanting Cuse and taking over the NE, or ESPN lobbying a SEC/ACC merger and calling it the East and paying based on performance which is very doubtful, B12 would be a life raft.
The GOR is unbreakable. But let’s go with the theory that it is. If it is, the schools that try to leave the ACC are going to pay dearly, with millions upon millions, which should put the ACC in the driver’s seat with a MASSIVE amount of exit fee money to pay the other schools. Frankly that should make the ACC more valuable than the Big 12 alone.

The GOR is unbreakable. But let’s go with the theory that it is. If it is, the schools that try to leave the ACC are going to pay dearly, with millions upon millions, which should put the ACC in the driver’s seat with a MASSIVE amount of exit fee money to pay the other schools. Frankly that should make the ACC more valuable than the Big 12 alone.
That only works for right now. The length of the GOR is a blessing and a curse. You summarized the blessing. The curse is that there isn’t much the ACC can do to boost its profile, so we’re all just sitting ducks until 2036. And that’s when we’ll go the way of the PAC-12.

The Big 12 was desperate and figured it out. Now the ACC needs to do the same. They should figure out a way to get some of that unused PAC-12 money and add it to the existing pot.

In hindsight, they should have merged with the PAC-12. That’s 24 schools plus ND. They could have rebranded as the Big Coast Conference, with the Atlantic and Pacific decisions playing separate schedules for the Olympic sports, limited crossover for basketball and football, and a super conference title game for basketball and football.

That only works for right now. The length of the GOR is a blessing and a curse. You summarized the blessing. The curse is that there isn’t much the ACC can do to boost its profile, so we’re all just sitting ducks until 2036. And that’s when we’ll go the way of the PAC-12.

The Big 12 was desperate and figured it out. Now the ACC needs to do the same. They should figure out a way to get some of that unused PAC-12 money and add it to the existing pot.

In hindsight, they should have merged with the PAC-12. That’s 24 schools plus ND. They could have rebranded as the Big Coast Conference, with the Atlantic and Pacific decisions playing separate schedules for the Olympic sports, limited crossover for basketball and football, and a super conference title game for basketball and football.
I don't see how the inability to boost our profile is tied to the GoR. New members simply have to sign onto the GoR. It will, however, be interesting to see how the agreement with Stanford and Cal is worded regarding any sort of GoR.

I don't see how the inability to boost our profile is tied to the GoR. New members simply have to sign onto the GoR. It will, however, be interesting to see how the agreement with Stanford and Cal is worded regarding any sort of GoR.
Only because the GoR made us complacent and we missed the boat on all of those PAC-12 schools. Stanford would help a little. UConn less so. That leaves prying teams away from the Big 10, Big 12, or SEC, which doesn’t seem likely.

Only because the GoR made us complacent and we missed the boat on all of those PAC-12 schools. Stanford would help a little. UConn less so. That leaves prying teams away from the Big 10, Big 12, or SEC, which doesn’t seem likely.
It takes two to tango and to make a contract. If the remaining Pac schools weren't willing to buy what the ACC was selling, we couldn't force them.

The secrecy surrounding all of this is tough to take. How many versions of "the true story" are out there? And, what really happened could easily not be one of the versions in circulation. I have no problem in throwing Cal and Stanford a lifeline (it's beginning to look more and more like it will just be for football and basketball) or for admitting SMU and Rice/Tulane/someone else as full members. I don't think I'm alone in wishing what's being discussed and done could be out in the open.

It takes two to tango and to make a contract. If the remaining Pac schools weren't willing to buy what the ACC was selling, we couldn't force them.

The secrecy surrounding all of this is tough to take. How many versions of "the true story" are out there? And, what really happened could easily not be one of the versions in circulation. I have no problem in throwing Cal and Stanford a lifeline (it's beginning to look more and more like it will just be for football and basketball) or for admitting SMU and Rice/Tulane/someone else as full members. I don't think I'm alone in wishing what's being discussed and done could be out in the open.
Transparency would be nice. If the four corner PAC-12 schools picked the Big 12 over the ACC, we’re screwed.

Transparency would be nice. If the four corner PAC-12 schools picked the Big 12 over the ACC, we’re screwed.
If they did, it was simply for geography/closer proximity. The overall money in the ACC is better than the Big 12 and the ACC has its own network. Adding more programs in big markets/states would increase carriage fees. That was part of the argument for adding a west coast contingent.

IMG_2057.jpeg

for all of you folks who believed that chasing conference dollars was more important than sticking with regional alliances. ...kiss my butt. this disaster is what you all have wrought.
you charge $100-300 dollars a seat in a 30-50k arena and still can't make money ?

for all of you folks who believed that chasing conference dollars was more important than sticking with regional alliances. ...kiss my butt. this disaster is what you all have wrought.
you charge $100-300 dollars a seat in a 30-50k arena and still can't make money ?
And where exactly were we supposed to go if not the ACC? The Big 10 wouldn’t take us because we lost our AAU accreditation. The Big East did away with football.

The PAC-12 stood by their principles and look where that got them.

Last edited:
USC struggling against a Greek team they're lucky no B1G this year.

We play football. Nobody else in the Big East really does. What’s the solution to that?

We play football. Nobody else in the Big East really does. What’s the solution to that?
If we get to keep football in a watered down ACC but go back to the Big East for hoops that is a dream scenario. Its realistic too they either let us be FB only or take JMU or Coastal Carolina.

Worst case scenario IMO is a bid to the Big Ten or SEC I think it would destroy hoops and FB and we'd lose almost every game.

Second worst scenario is watered down ACC for both sports.

Third worst scenario is Big East hoops Indy FB

FB in any conference and BB back in the Big East is good it would be a mix of AAC and ACC schools and we could win it most years with it potentially carrying a playoff bid. Big 12 OK if we latch on there if the ACC dies. ACC surviving for 5 or so years until everyone realizes the conferences are too big and the scheduling miserable is a good outcome of course as well.

If we get to keep football in a watered down ACC but go back to the Big East for hoops that is a dream scenario. Its realistic too they either let us be FB only or take JMU or Coastal Carolina.

Worst case scenario IMO is a bid to the Big Ten or SEC I think it would destroy hoops and FB and we'd lose almost every game.

Second worst scenario is watered down ACC for both sports.

Third worst scenario is Big East hoops Indy FB

FB in any conference and BB back in the Big East is good it would be a mix of AAC and ACC schools and we could win it most years with it potentially carrying a playoff bid. Big 12 OK if we latch on there if the ACC dies. ACC surviving for 5 or so years until everyone realizes the conferences are too big and the scheduling miserable is a good outcome of course as well.
Half of the Big East schools are in the Midwest. Why are people clamoring to play Creighton and Butler?

As if we have any leverage with the ACC where we could make such a demand.

Joining the Big 10 or SEC is the worst case scenario? Seriously?

A watered-down ACC isn’t getting any playoff bids.

The lack of transparency is how the Big 10 destroyed the PAC. The ACC seems to be an honest broker and unfortunately in this $ "academia" grab it's hurt them. The Big 10 has agreements with other conferences and then finds out their agendas and then grabs whatever they want after getting all their info.