Conference Revenue Share for New Members Not = Timing | Syracusefan.com

Conference Revenue Share for New Members Not = Timing

arbitragegls

All Conference
According to Brett McMurphy of ESPN and others, one has to wonder what the big deal was for Maryland to leave the ACC...oh perhaps the $30,000,000 in travel allowance Maryland receives. But at any rate, it appears that the B1G is not as good sharing its TV money with new teams:

B1G will not give Maryland and Rutgers 100% share until year 7

Big 12 will not give WVU and TCU 100% share until year 4

SEC will give Texas A&M and Missouri 100% share year 1

ACC will give Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville 100% share year 1

Seems to me Syracuse picked the right conference to join.

It's Good to be 'Cuse!

According to Brett McMurphy of ESPN and others, one has to wonder what the big deal was for Maryland to leave the ACC...oh perhaps the $30,000,000 in travel allowance Maryland receives. But at any rate, it appears that the B1G is not as good sharing its TV money with new teams:

It's Good to be 'Cuse!

In looking at what has transpired with Notre Dame, the GOR, etc. Was Maryland that out of the loop with the rest of the ACC's plans when they made their decision? That's the question I would be asking. It doesn't look like the Big Ten will offer Maryland significantly more than they would have had in the ACC anyway. Or possibly did they have plans for some large research grant with a Big Ten school that made the CIC that attractive to leave? Who knows. To me it looks like they have left a league in growing demographic areas for one demographically challenged going forward. I don't get it, and neither do most Maryland alumns that I know.

I go on the Maryland board and they're talking about all the noon football games in the Big Ten. No night games late in the season for football because of fear of frost bite for the fans. They are talking about their location in DC being in a tropical climate compared to the Big Ten. It's a real head scratcher. But you are correct in that Syracuse made the right choice. At this point we can't worry about Maryland anymore. The ACC will move forward with Louisville.

It's Good to be 'Cuse!
With a GOR in place, seems the right thing to do. Otherwise, you are in effect deliberately strengthening the "old" teams at the expense of the "new" teams, especially if the addition increases revenue for everyone. What is the point of that? Why would you add a team and then push it into the basement?

Oh wait.

Can't speak to the budgets of the other new ACC AD's, but fact remains we get a ton of new, previously unbudgeted money to spend as part of the deal - the entire budget of our AD will increase. Said it before, but the B10 just bought two properties that aren't going to be spending new money anytime soon. They have already spent it - what you see is what you get there. Suspect that WVU and TCU will be spending new money. A&M and Missouri probably closer to a push.

It's difficult to know exactly why UMD made the move..maybe they were told it was them or UVA for the DC market and were concerned they would be stuck if the ACC fell apart? They are one of the larger public schools in the ACC and do fit the profile for the B1g. That said, no sane fan would trade our position for theirs; we're in a conference that values us for our athletic success, not just our location.

It's difficult to know exactly why UMD made the move..maybe they were told it was them or UVA for the DC market and were concerned they would be stuck if the ACC fell apart? They are one of the larger public schools in the ACC and do fit the profile for the B1g. That said, no sane fan would trade our position for theirs; we're in a conference that values us for our athletic success, not just our location.

I think Maryland panicked with all the uncertainty. I also think they squealed about Swofford sniffing around PSU to help give them a leg up with Delaney. Their reward is 7 years of fractional share and calling Rutgers "mate".

I can't believe their fans are remotely happy about the long term travel options they have to endure.

Arb, not complaining, but why did you start a new thread on this topic when we have a lengthy discussion going on in the McMurphy Tweets thread? It even contains some posts from ArizonaKnight.

I think Maryland panicked with all the uncertainty. I also think they squealed about Swofford sniffing around PSU to help give them a leg up with Delaney.
This is why you can't get a security clearance if you have serious debt problems.

New Theory: Maryland jumped because Wake was improving and Syracuse was added to their division. Essentially, they traded conferences for one guaranteed win per.annum with a strong.possibility for two, Rutgers - guarantee, Indiana - possible.

Makes as much sense as any other reason, which is to say, it doesn't make any sense. I wish them well. Welcome Louisville.

MD was told that the media payout was going to be $40 million a few years down the road. Who knows. Seems $30 million might be more realistic. The ACC is able to pay out a full share to SU and Pitt immediately because adding them enabled the conference to renegotiate its media deal with ESPN and get a bigger payout right away. The BiG is not getting a raise in TV contracts right away. They are totally dependent on increasing carriage of the BTN and getting more cable subscribers in the new states of MD and NJ, which is going to take some time for that to happen (if it happens at all). 5 years from now it will be obvious that Maryland made a poor deal. Terrible leadership by a former BiG administrator who led them off a cliff.

Arb, not complaining, but why did you start a new thread on this topic when we have a lengthy discussion going on in the McMurphy Tweets thread? It even contains some posts from ArizonaKnight.

Me bad...I missed the thread...will be more "eyes open" in future...I apologize but it was the Jack & Coke!

You answered your own question.

You answered your own question.

Ha. That's what I was thinking too.

No worries, Arb. Just don't give up the drinking, or else then we'll have a problem.

Even though it wasn't your intent, I'm perfectly fine starting new threads when one gets too long. My A.D.D can't keep up with those that approach or exceed triple digit posts.

What was I just saying?

Me bad...I missed the thread...will be more "eyes open" in future...I apologize but it was the Jack & Coke!

As punishment, you owe us another post with more inside scoop by 12PM EDT tomorrow.

Hit the phones, buddy.

Ha. That's what I was thinking too.

No worries, Arb. Just don't give up the drinking, or else then we'll have a problem.

Even though it wasn't your intent, I'm perfectly fine starting new threads when one gets too long. My A.D.D can't keep up with those that approach or exceed triple digit posts.

What was I just saying?

You said something about butterflies...