Conference Rivalries | Syracusefan.com

Conference Rivalries

sabach

All American
Was just having this discussion with someone. What, in your opinion are the biggest rivalries in college sports for each conference now or in the past.

Pac 12 (UCLA-USC in football)
Big 10 (Ohio State-Michigan in football)
ACC (Duke-UNC in basketball)
SEC (Auburn-Alabama in football) ???
Big 12 (Texas-Oklahoma or Texas-Texas A&M in football) ???
Big East (Syracuse -Georgetown in basketball)

Any other ideas?

Was just having this discussion with someone. What, in your opinion are the biggest rivalries in college sports for each conference now or in the past.

Pac 12 (UCLA-USC in football)
Big 10 (Ohio State-Michigan in football)
ACC (Duke-UNC in basketball)
SEC (Auburn-Alabama in football) ???
Big 12 (Texas-Oklahoma or Texas-Texas A&M in football) ???
Big East (Syracuse -Georgetown in basketball)

Any other ideas?
USC-UCLA is more of a rivalry to UCLA than it is to USC. Classic USC line - "UCLA? My maid went to UCLA." The team that USC wants to beat more than any other is Notre Dame. That would be the last game of the year every year, but John McKay got tired of freezing in South Bend in November. The animus is equally high on the part of both sides in the Oregon-Washington matchup.

USC-UCLA is more of a rivalry to UCLA than it is to USC. Classic USC line - "UCLA? My maid went to UCLA." The team that USC wants to beat more than any other is Notre Dame. That would be the last game of the year every year, but John McKay got tired of freezing in South Bend in November. The animus is equally high on the part of both sides in the Oregon-Washington matchup.
Notre Dame likes to play in Cali on Thanksgiving weekend as well which is why they play at Stanford every other year in the years they play USC at home. I was trying to think of what the national perception is of what the biggest rivalry is in each conference. Oregon - UW is a good one.

Notre Dame likes to play in Cali on Thanksgiving weekend as well which is why they play at Stanford every other year in the years they play USC at home. I was trying to think of what the national perception is of what the biggest rivalry is in each conference. Oregon - UW is a good one.
If John McKay hadn't asked for the change in the early 60s, USC-ND would be the last game of the year every year, not just the even years. ND has had a wide assortment of last games in odd years including, away games with Miami, Hawaii, and Air Force. The arrangement of having Stanford alternate with USC didn't begin until 1999.

Goes without saying
It is unfortunate this rivalry was put on hold when UConn dropped out of big time football and CFU upgraded to the B12.

TV executives and football fans everywhere will be delighted when UConn joins the B12 and this huge game is finally restored to Thanksgiving weekend.

If John McKay hadn't asked for the change in the early 60s, USC-ND would be the last game of the year every year, not just the even years. ND has had a wide assortment of last games in odd years including, away games with Miami, Hawaii, and Air Force. The arrangement of having Stanford alternate with USC didn't begin until 1999.
I hear you. I remember those Miami games. I know that now they have settled into playing in Cali on Thanksgiving every year.

That's Civil ConFLiCT to you layman.

They got a participation trophy and everything...

Screen_Shot_2017_11_06_at_10.44.08_AM.png

At one time in the SEC it may have been Alabama/Tennessee. Alabama/Auburn certainly has more vitriol now.

It looks like someone went to a store 10 minutes before the game and picked up a generic trophy and slapped a couple logos on it.
Yup. That is what happened.

I believe the story goes that UCF beat UConn and was given the trophy.

But they left it on the sideline because it was so crappy. Refused to acknowledge it or the 'rivalry' UConn was trying to establish.

It looks like someone went to a store 10 minutes before the game and picked up a generic trophy and slapped a couple logos on it.
Bob Diaco, the punchline that keeps on giving. As terrible as Shafer was, Diaco would have been even worse, if Gross really considered him even for a moment