Confusing Stats | Syracusefan.com

Confusing Stats

Cheriehoop

Moderator/ 2019-20 Iggy Winner Reg Season Rcd
Perhaps the hordes of people smarter than I am, can explain some weird stats that are popping up during our first 4 ACC games. We always hear that zone defenses protect players from fouls. I googled it and it’s stated as a fact in a number of articles but I couldn’t find actual stats on it. Another supposed fact I’ve always heard, is that teams that challenge, drive the lane will get fouled more than teams relying on 3 pointers. However we seem to be breaking some well known basketball axioms in ACC play so far.

In the 4 ACC games we have gotten 60 ft attempts while our opponents have attempted 80 free throws.

At the same time we have had 72 three point attempts while our ACC opponents have attempted 97.
We have taken 131 two point attempts vs our 4 ACC opponents who have attempted 120.

So we have been more aggressive to the basket, taken less 3 point shots yet fouled more despite playing zone, than our ACC opponents.

I just wanted to check if what I thought I might be seeing, was what actually was happening. What it means I don’t know and wondered if others had noticed anything or had an explanation. I don’t want to be simplistic and just say that the Refs stink or we don’t get a fair shake or we stink etc. If zones supposedly protect players from fouls more than m2m teams , teams that drive vs shooting long jumpers get fouled more, then why doesn’t the quintessential college zone team seem not to reflect it statistically? Please ignore my rambling if I’m not making any sense.

Opponents know that we are such terrible passers (or unwilling to pass to certain players), that it makes it easier for them to choose to defend our ball drivers with secondary defenders. As a primary defender, knowing you have some secondary D help makes it much easier to play D without fouling.

I don't think it is anything sinister. The only thing that is sinister is our offence.

Perhaps the hordes of people smarter than I am, can explain some weird stats that are popping up during our first 4 ACC games. We always hear that zone defenses protect players from fouls. I googled it and it’s stated as a fact in a number of articles but I couldn’t find actual stats on it. Another supposed fact I’ve always heard, is that teams that challenge, drive the lane will get fouled more than teams relying on 3 pointers. However we seem to be breaking some well known basketball axioms in ACC play so far.

In the 4 ACC games we have gotten 60 ft attempts while our opponents have attempted 80 free throws.

At the same time we have had 72 three point attempts while our ACC opponents have attempted 97.
We have taken 131 two point attempts vs our 4 ACC opponents who have attempted 120.

So we have been more aggressive to the basket, taken less 3 point shots yet fouled more despite playing zone, than our ACC opponents.

I just wanted to check if what I thought I might be seeing, was what actually was happening. What it means I don’t know and wondered if others had noticed anything or had an explanation. I don’t want to be simplistic and just say that the Refs stink or we don’t get a fair shake or we stink etc. If zones supposedly protect players from fouls more than m2m teams , teams that drive vs shooting long jumpers get fouled more, then why doesn’t the quintessential college zone team seem not to reflect it statistically? Please ignore my rambling if I’m not making any sense.

In the few games I have been able to see, a lot of our fouls are offensive this year, something the zone can't do anything about.

There might be some truth to Tyus Battle's statement:

"They weren't fouling, I guess,'' Syracuse guard Tyus Battle said with no small amount of sarcasm.

I don't think JB and Syracuse is well liked by ACC red state southern teams. There are so many reasons not to like Syracuse. I think our school and New York's left leaning politics are damning to us.

Regardless of the obstacles, in the words of JB, "Good teams win." To make the NCAA tournament we will need at least 19 wins and one or two good away wins. The way the team is playing on offense the last three games I"m not sure it is possible. Or, the team has improved on offense but not well enough to beat VA which is supposedly really good on defense. The next 3 games will decide our teams fate for this year. Of we go 0-3 we are done.

Why is it when our team plays away I feel like the refs are always giving the home team an advantage. But when Syracuse plays at home, I feel like we have away refs who call the game even. I don't think I've ever seen an Orange home game called as biased as a Duke home game.

Well, as I've said over and over again and I am completely guilty of this statement: Whichever team loses thinks the referees stink.

There might be some truth to Tyus Battle's statement:

I don't think JB and Syracuse is well liked by ACC red state southern teams. There are so many reasons not to like Syracuse. I think our school and New York's left leaning politics are damning to us.

Regardless of the obstacles, in the words of JB, "Good teams win." To make the NCAA tournament we will need at least 19 wins and one or two good away wins. The way the team is playing on offense the last three games I"m not sure it is possible. Or, the team has improved on offense but not well enough to beat VA which is supposedly really good on defense. The next 3 games will decide our teams fate for this year. Of we go 0-3 we are done.

The issue has nothing to do with politics. UNC is a left leaning school. Dean Smith would make most of us look like "right wing radicals".

The real issue is SU got hammered by the NCAA, lost scholarships, lost players and has limited outside threats. Teams like UVA will take advantage of the limitations we have because UVA is a legit top team and thrives on the three, shooting around 40% from beyond the arch. Teams like UVA do not need to drive nearly as often as an average team will because they simply shoot over the zone.

As noted above, we are drawing more fouls on offense, at least per the eye test.

Perhaps the hordes of people smarter than I am

There are not hordes of people smarter than you are. Maybe one? ebucklewis (in his own mind).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom