Congrats on a top 50 class | Syracusefan.com

Congrats on a top 50 class

Lou_C

Scout Team
Overall, solid performance for the ACC. No reason for this conference not to compete for second best conference from year to year.

Looking at the 247 Composite Rankings:
# of Top 50 classes per conference:
SEC: 14
ACC: 10
PAC: 8
B12: 8
B1G: 8
% of conference with Top 50 classes:
SEC: 100%
B12: 80%
ACC: 71%
PAC: 66%
B1G: 57%
# of Top 30 classes per conference:
SEC: 11
PAC: 5
ACC: 5
B12: 4
B1G: 4
% of conference with Top 30 classes:
SEC: 79%
B12: 41%
PAC: 40%
ACC: 36%
B1G: 28%

Overall, solid performance for the ACC. No reason for this conference not to compete for second best conference from year to year.

You guys had a great haul this year. Congrats

Don't know if the other recruiting sites do this but Skowt does a conference rankings. Once you get past the SEC, it's pretty even among the next four when looking at the cumulative haul of the league schools. ACC has the second most "star power," though. Only the SEC has more 5-star recruits.

I think this class looks good on paper but according to scout, we've had a class ranked around 50 for almost 10 years now. I believe we had a class ranked 34 when GRob was coaching but every other class was right around 50. Am I missing something? By the way people are talking, this is a top 30 class.

I think this class looks good on paper but according to scout, we've had a class ranked around 50 for almost 10 years now. I believe we had a class ranked 34 when GRob was coaching but every other class was right around 50. Am I missing something? By the way people are talking, this is a top 30 class.

The stats are hard to believe.

It's pretty clear that Robinson never had a class like this one - though in his final year he did bring in a bunch of guys - Chandler Jones, et al.

OrangePA said:
The stats are hard to believe.

It's pretty clear that Robinson never had a class like this one - though in his final year he did bring in a bunch of guys - Chandler Jones, et al.

Maybe GRob was just a better recruiter than coach. He had a slew of pros that he recruited to SU. His classes were ranked

#49. 2005
#51. 2006
#46 2007
#50. 2008

[quote shermthegeneral, post: 926765, member: 947"]I think this class looks good on paper but according to scout, we've had a class ranked around 50 for almost 10 years now. I believe we had a class ranked 34 when GRob was coaching but every other class was right around 50. Am I missing something? By the way people are talking, this is a top 30 class.[/quote]

We havent had a top 80 class according socut for the past decade. Nothing Grob did was ever ranked top 50 anything.

that's true, but on paper this class is the best in 10 years. these prospects had multiple LEGIT bcs offers. those classes were over rated sometimes boosted by stupid rankings. 4 star kids that never made it here or transferred out.

that's true, but on paper this class is the best in 10 years. these prospects had multiple LEGIT bcs offers. those classes were over rated sometimes boosted by stupid rankings. 4 star kids that never made it here or transferred out.

I'd also add that our lower ranked recruits in this class, comparatively to our lower ranked recruits in those classes, are a lot better. Even our few B listers had Conference USA or Sun Belt offers.

Last year's Scout rank was 73, we have been in the 50's a bit but Marrone's first class was 102.

Ranking's are meaningless in IMO. The difference with this class was that we beat out a LOT of BCS competition instead of Akron and Tulane. This class' ranking is really low considering the competition that we beat to land them.

Maybe GRob was just a better recruiter than coach. He had a slew of pros that he recruited to SU. His classes were ranked

#49. 2005
#51. 2006
#46 2007
#50. 2008

Wild how recruiting rankings have changed. 2005 had 5 3 star recruits and was good enough for 49. 06-08 classes were propped up by higher rated guys that never made It on the field like baskin, pierce, etc.

I'd also add that our lower ranked recruits in this class, comparatively to our lower ranked recruits in those classes, are a lot better. Even our few B listers had Conference USA or Sun Belt offers.

marrone said something once that always stuck with me. sometime to the effect of "we judge the class top to bottom as its only as good as our lowest (rated) kids" ...this class top to bottom is dam good. Rodney Williams for example earned his offer at summer camp (my preference). He might be as good as any of them.

We would have pummeled every team in the AAC last year with the exception of Louisville.

How do you think we would have fared against UCF?

Looking back at past classes because of this conversation and seeking some answers on the rating of this class versus past classes i point to the 2010 class. It is an interesting example. Based upon the ratings with that class i see that 5 of the top 6 rated players either never made it to campus, got kicked off the team or transferred. Also, that class as well as many others were very top heavy which skewed the ratings.
There are many examples throughout the years of why a signing day class rating is so tenous . You don't know who is going to qualify academically, you don't know how guys are gonna adapt to a college environment, you don't know whether their potential will be fulfilled, you don't know about future injuries, etc. etc.
This is the closest i have followed recruiting in my 33 years of fandom and i am very impressed with this class from top to bottom . The depth of the class is especially impressive so it isn't as susceptible to an injury or non-qualifier at a particular position. Moreso, the increase in athleticism at the skill positions is marked. On paper, the WR class is the best one in many years and could be very special and the LB core will be dynamic if everything goes there way (health, academics, living up to potential).
I guess the promise of hope comes back around this team now. I hope it translates to the fan base and on the field. I understand Rome wasn't built in a day and I believe this staff and program is heading in the right direction. Today only solidified my hope in a brighter future further removed from the dark days just a short time ago.
I believe that if a majority of the 2014 class makes it to their senior year (or junior if they turn pro early) it will be the class that caused Syracuse football to "turn the corner" and get us on a path toward sustained respectability on the national scene. I am real excited about these guys whether they are 40, 50, 60 whatever. I really hope it all lives up to expectations.

#49. 2005
#51. 2006
#46 2007
#50. 2008

I think GRob was obviously a better recruiter than coach.

He was probably a better nuclear physicist than coach because it's hard to imagine that he could have done anything worse.

His classes weren't at all deep, but that was a common problem at SU when the administration dug their feet in the sand on investing in the program. The fact that he convinced a few good players to come here given his record is one of life's greatest unsolved mysteries.

I think GRob was obviously a better recruiter than coach.

He was probably a better nuclear physicist than coach because it's hard to imagine that he could have done anything worse.

His classes weren't at all deep, but that was a common problem at SU when the administration dug their feet in the sand on investing in the program. The fact that he convinced a few good players to come here given his record is one of life's greatest unsolved mysteries.

How do you think we would have fared against UCF?

Agreed, UCF was a better team than us last year, they beat Baylor, Penn St, Louisville, played So Carolina tough. They would have beat us by 14-17 points IMO. Houston would have beaten us and would have scored 50 points, IMO. Lets not get carried away here.

Agreed, UCF was a better team than us last year, they beat Baylor, Penn St, Louisville, played So Carolina tough. They would have beat us by 14-17 points IMO. Houston would have beaten us and would have scored 50 points, IMO. Lets not get carried away here.

I forgot about UCF but Houston would not have beaten us.

GRob was a great guy, so it's not hard to imagine he was able to sell ice to eskimos. However, most of that ice was returned and his ice company later went bankrupt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom