Congrats to the Spartans | Syracusefan.com

Congrats to the Spartans

SWC75

Bored Historian
They have always been my second favorite college team. I've always regarded the Syracuse and Michigan State programs as sister-ships.

In 1947, Biggie Munn took his entire staff from Syracuse to East Lansing to build them into a national power. One of his assistants was Duffy Daughetry, who had played for Munn and Ossie Solemn at Syracuse, (and was the brother of local TV personality Jean Daugherty). He became the Spartan's coach when Munn became the athletic director and had many successful teams. He and Ben Schwartzwalder were good friends. So were George Perles, a later Michigan State head coach and Dick MacPherson. Now Chuck Bullough, part of a family full of Spartans, is our defensive co-ordinator.

Like Syracuse, the Spartans were a great power in the 50's, having four undefeated regular seasons and four more one-loss seasons from 1950-66 and winning a national championship in 1952 and a share of one in 1965. Like Syracuse they faded after that although, being a large state school, the Spartans didn't fade quite as far as we did. Still, consistent success eluded them and they lived in the shadow of Michigan and Ohio State, much as we were int he shadow of Penn State. They've had some good teams but their peaks (1974, 1978, 1987, 1999, 2010-11) but haven't been able to sustain success as they once did. I keep hoping for a comeback. Perhaps a 13-1 record with a Rose Bowl victory will be a peak they can maintain.

SWC75 said:
They have always been my second favorite college team. I've always regarded the Syracuse and Michigan State programs as sister-ships.

In 1947, Biggie Munn took his entire staff from Syracuse to East Lansing to build them into a national power. One of his assistants was Duffy Daughetry, who had played for Munn and Ossie Solemn at Syracuse, (and was the brother of local TV personality Jean Daugherty). He became the Spartan's coach when Munn became the athletic director and had many successful teams. He and Ben Schwartzwalder were good friends. So were George Perles, a later Michigan State head coach and Dick MacPherson. Now Chuck Bullough, part of a family full of Spartans, is our defensive co-ordinator.

Like Syracuse, the Spartans were a great power in the 50's, having four undefeated regular seasons and four more one-loss seasons from 1950-66 and winning a national championship in 1952 and a share of one in 1965. Like Syracuse they faded after that although, being a large state school, the Spartans didn't fade quite as far as we did. Still, consistent success eluded them and they lived in the shadow of Michigan and Ohio State, much as we were int he shadow of Penn State. They've had some good teams but their peaks (1974, 1978, 1987, 1999, 2010-11) but haven't been able to sustain success as they once did. I keep hoping for a comeback. Perhaps a 13-1 record with a Rose Bowl victory will be a peak they can maintain.

As several here know, I married into a Spartan family, and they too are number 2 here as well.

As my youngest went to bed tonight, he said, "this is the second best New Year's Day ever." Since he still only eight, I asked him what the best New Years was.

"It's in the future," he said, "when Syracuse is undefeated and wins a New Year's Day bowl game."

It's hard to argue with that.

Brian Shaw lost this game for Stanford. He seemed to be arrogant in his coaching decisions as the game wore on.

Was much more impressed the State staff as the game went on they adjusted and became the aggressors and Shaw thought his highly decorated line would bulldozer over a great run defense. You lost

Brian Shaw lost this game for Stanford. He seemed to be arrogant in his coaching decisions as the game wore on.

Was much more impressed the State staff as the game went on they adjusted and became the aggressors and Shaw thought his highly decorated line would bulldozer over a great run defense. You lost
David Shaw is the Stanford HC. Brian Shaw is busy watching his Nuggets lose their 8th straight, this time at home to the lowly Sixers.

David Shaw is the Stanford HC. Brian Shaw is busy watching his Nuggets lose their 8th straight, this time at home to the lowly Sixers.
With some unknown rookie point guard scoring 16, with 6 assists and 9 rebounds...

It's still his fault. :mad:

In 1947, Biggie Munn took his entire staff from Syracuse to East Lansing to build them into a national power. One of his assistants was Duffy Daughetry, who had played for Munn and Ossie Solemn at Syracuse, (and was the brother of local TV personality Jean Daugherty).
Wait a second. I thought we hated every former coach who takes the coaching staff away to his new program. Maybe we mellow over time?

Wait a second. I thought we hated every former coach who takes the coaching staff away to his new program. Maybe we mellow over time?

I wasn't born yet.