Cool - We may see Womack at qb this weekend | Syracusefan.com

Cool - We may see Womack at qb this weekend

Came in at 158 lbs. Didn't have a position. Blew his redshirt.
And there is another thread asking why we don't have any depth.
That other thread wants to know why we haven't had depth in the last 15 years, not just this one

"He's so athletic," Lester said. "He could be a wideout. He could end up being a quarterback. He could end up being a DB. The key is figuring it out (before the offseason)."
A redshirt year would have been good to figure that out.

He is so athletic he could be a wideout. So Lester is saying we've got a number of guys better at wideout than this great athlete. We couldn't come up with say 5 plays for him to run at WR that he could practice over and over. We burn his RS and we can't even get this great athlete in for a few non-special team plays? :bat:

Whitey23 said:
Will never understand that. bizarre decision.

Don't know about Womack, but kids sometimes ask the coaches not to redshirt them and if they can win a spot, even on special teams, they play.

Don't know about Womack, but kids sometimes ask the coaches not to redshirt them and if they can win a spot, even on special teams, they play.

Exactly, not always on the coaches. These kids want to play now these days. Womack has made some nice plays on ST, but his redshirt would've been huge. He could still use it next year.

you can find many more examples of kids who RS and end up just taking up roster spots as kids who we wish had another year.. you can also find several in the last few years who RS and then left anyway looking for a shot at the NFL dream. its all a crap shoot.

What spot did Womack win?

You should hear the things my kid asks me for. But since I pay the mortgage, I make the rules. Funny how that works.

If you can contribute in any way, you play. Simple as that.
Goes to the depth issue. If you have enough talent someone will redshirt. If not, you have to play whatever you have.

Goes to the depth issue. If you have enough talent someone will redshirt. If not, you have to play whatever you have.
Truth. In this scenario. But, just because you're not red-shirting freshman doesn't mean you have a depth issue.

Came in at 158 lbs. Didn't have a position. Blew his redshirt.
And there is another thread asking why we don't have any depth.
i'm not one to worry too much about this stuff but non punt returners who are under 160 can spend the year practicing and eating.

"He's so athletic," Lester said. "He could be a wideout. He could end up being a quarterback. He could end up being a DB. The key is figuring it out (before the offseason)."
A redshirt year would have been good to figure that out.
LOL

Truth. In this scenario. But, just because you're not red-shirting freshman doesn't mean you have a depth issue.
Another issue rarely mentioned is walk-ons. Some programs have rosters of 125+. A lot of those players develop over time.

I hope in four years we're bringing in better players that would beat them out even our 5th year seniors. If we have the same talent in 4-5 years, we're in big trouble.

This has just turned into lets find evidence however we can, with every topic possible, to throw this staff under the bus.

Holy shyat, maybe Womack is better at what he's doing than the guy in front of him. 160 or not, that'll get him on the field.

We're so lucky to have such an intelligent fan base, it's amazing we haven't become better through osmosis yet.

He's 160 lbs., psshh, how could they not think to red-shirt him. He obviously could stand to gain some weight, he obviously should find his position before wasting a year. Thankfully we have fans who can pick up on this, whew, without this nobody may have ever known how much the staff was missing!

Get your best players on the field! STAT! We're not near good enough to be stashing players.

This has just turned into lets find evidence however we can, with every topic possible, to throw this staff under the bus.

Holy shyat, maybe Womack is better at what he's doing than the guy in front of him. 160 or not, that'll get him on the field.

We're so lucky to have such an intelligent fan base, it's amazing we haven't become better through osmosis yet.

He's 160 lbs., psshh, how could they not think to red-shirt him. He obviously could stand to gain some weight, he obviously should find his position before wasting a year. Thankfully we have fans who can pick up on this, whew, without this nobody may have ever known how much the staff was missing!
this post implies that you only redshirt guys who aren't good enough to play now. i think that is simplistic. mcnabb was better than mason in 95. i'm glad we didn't have madei playing in 98.

Millhouse said:
this post implies that you only redshirt guys who aren't good enough to play now. i think that is simplistic. mcnabb was better than mason in 95. i'm glad we didn't have madei playing in 98.

Really different time and circumstance. Depth gives you the luxury of red shirting a good player.