Cooney Criticisms | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney Criticisms

OttoinGrotto said:
Can that not be said for the rest of our players? I feel like there is a racial element to the way we talk about Cooney's game. Is he a hard worker? Good basketball IQ? Is he scrappy? Does he make the most of his talent? Is he gritty and full of determination? Again, I'm not saying anyone's racist, but I'm saying that when you read some of the positives people post about Cooney's games, well... it's a bit stereotypical.

What color is Triche?

Can that not be said for the rest of our players?

I feel like there is a racial element to the way we talk about Cooney's game. Is he a hard worker? Good basketball IQ? Is he scrappy? Does he make the most of his talent? Is he gritty and full of determination? Again, I'm not saying anyone's racist, but I'm saying that when you read some of the positives people post about Cooney's games, well... it's a bit stereotypical.

Great point. If it's true that Cooney's legs wore down last season and we can attribute his shooting slump to tired legs, I'm really hoping we get a scenario where we get 20-25 minutes of the Cooney that makes 40%+ of his threes, rather than 30-35 minutes of the Cooney that makes 30% of his threes.

The weird thing is, Cooney does not need to play into the white-guy stereotype by standing around the perimeter and jacking up 3s. He's far too athletic and skilled to simply do that.

I would actually like to see him use his body more and drive to the basket. Not many guards will be able to match his strength.

Forget Cooney, Tyler Roberson could become a freemason with all the bricks he has laid these past 2 exhibitions.
They are both shooting poorly.
But Roberson is 4/13 these past 2 exhibitions
Cooney is 4/19
Again, I am not worried about either of these guys. The way I see it, we have two guys who can step up if either are not performing in Buss and BJ. Someone always steps up. I like our chances.

They are both shooting poorly.
But Roberson is 4/13 these past 2 exhibitions
Cooney is 4/19
Again, I am not worried about either of these guys. The way I see it, we have two guys who can step up if either are not performing in Buss and BJ. Someone always steps up. I like our chances.

I am starting to think that BJ is actually a better option out there than Tyler. BJ has a pretty nice shot.

I am starting to think that BJ is actually a better option out there than Tyler. BJ has a pretty nice shot.
Offensively, yes. That shot is a thing of beauty. And I believe all three of him, Tyler and Chris improve (defensively) with each game. It's one thing to practice, but that game time experience is going to go a long way in the coming months and seasons.

What color is Triche?

From the movie Cry Freedom ...

Judge: Why do you people call yourselves black? You look more brown than black.

Steve Biko: Why do you call yourselves white? You look more pink than white.

<judge nods thoughtfully ...>

i have admittedly been very anti-Cooney for as long as i can remember. The kid has looked like a D2 athlete his entire career, minus 10 games or so at the start of last year. That is just fact. That being said, people are being a bit harsh on him. Jimmy will not leave him out there if he doesnt score this year. We cant afford that. Silent G or Ron will have to play the 2 guard.

i get that people are loyal to our players, but sometimes it goes too far. the kid has been a failure SO FAR... and he just doesnt seem to be close to breaking out of it.

It doesn't matter what us fans think about Cooney JB has trust in him and if he were not the best option he would not be on the floor. The amount of attention Cooney draws from opposing defenses would lead me to believe that those that criticize Cooney really don't know what they are talking about.

I did not watch all of the games last year and when I did, I certainly didn't focus solely on what was happening with Cooney. But from what I could tell the "attention" Cooney got from the other team's defense was basically just one really athletic guy who stuck to Cooney like white on rice. The game plan seemed to be simply get in his face and he cant shoot.

His defense is very good, but if his shooting continues as it has since ACC play last year (or he doesnt start driving more, which people claim he can do with consistency), I do think he should see less minutes.

It doesn't matter what us fans think about Cooney JB has trust in him and if he were not the best option he would not be on the floor. The amount of attention Cooney draws from opposing defenses would lead me to believe that those that criticize Cooney really don't know what they are talking about.
It's going to be a long season if we're breaking out the JB knows are defense after 2 exhibition games.

The weird thing is, Cooney does not need to play into the white-guy stereotype by standing around the perimeter and jacking up 3s. He's far too athletic and skilled to simply do that.

I would actually like to see him use his body more and drive to the basket. Not many guards will be able to match his strength.
I agree with that 100%.

so your saying that JB doesn't know? When you have a HOF coach that will always be the argument cause he does know

hilarious that people think Cooney will draw the attention he did early last year if he continues to play like he does. we are better off with him driving to the hoop and getting fouled. at least he can make FTs.

Another similar argument for my comparison to Triche. Unfortunately with Triche (and devo at time before him), that strength caused far too many bad offensive calls against Triche that we all remember far too well. I certainly hope we see Cooney bust this part of his game out but with better success. Maybe the dribble drive with a short jumper instead of driving to the basket will work better for him.

Nothing that hasn't been said before, but Cooney has a lot of things working against him in regard to how fans perceive him:

1) I think a coach or two have said he's the best shooter they've had the pleasure of witnessing (one of?). His Freshman year you chalk that up to a lack of playing time, or confidence. However, I think when people are heaping that kind of praise upon a kid the expectation is going to be that he turns out to be more than a streaky shooter from deep. Patterson is streaky. The kid who was getting all this praise? I think people will expect more.

Not saying that's fair in judging his play, but it certainly leads a bit to the disappointment when he's continuing to look like the same streaky TC we saw last year. (Through two meaningless exhibition games)

2) When Cooney isn't hitting shots - it's not readily apparent to fans what else he offers. Do defenses overplay him that much? They focus on him a lot, but his inability to take advantage of overplays doesn't help us much - opens up the offense a bit for everyone else, so we do have that.

When Dion wasn't hitting shots, he could explode to the rim. MCW could get to the rim. Triche was somewhat capable, although insanely reluctant, but even he showed more than Cooney. Most guards offer up something else, not so much w/ TC.

So we have a fairly decent defensive 2G, that when he's not hitting shots, isn't doing much. He doesn't feed the post very well - or at least doesn't do it very often, but he can reverse the ball like a machine.

I don't know - that stuff stands out when he's not hitting shots.

i have admittedly been very anti-Cooney for as long as i can remember. The kid has looked like a D2 athlete his entire career, minus 10 games or so at the start of last year. That is just fact. That being said, people are being a bit harsh on him. Jimmy will not leave him out there if he doesn't score this year. We cant afford that. Silent G or Ron will have to play the 2 guard.

i get that people are loyal to our players, but sometimes it goes too far. the kid has been a failure SO FAR... and he just doesnt seem to be close to breaking out of it.

I sure hope you're right about this part at least. Last year left a bad taste in my mouth re: JB and his notoriously "short bench". If he comes up with the same "they're not ready" crap this year, and TC continues throwing up bricks, its gonna be a long season.:bang: