Cooney defense | Syracusefan.com

Cooney defense

T

tee1222

Cooney is getting his hands on the ball often, rebounding and passing. Playing with a lot of grit, and even though he is not shooting well on paper, two of those 3 point attempts went in and out. But, very impressed with his defensive effort.

He got his hands on at least 8 or 9 passes and has 6 steals, very impressed with him so far.

Even saw what looked to be him blocking a shot but didn't get credit? No matter, looks like he will contribute by the time BE season comes around, which was one of those uncertainties before the season started. I see JB starting to trust him more as these early games play out.

Even saw what looked to be him blocking a shot but didn't get credit? No matter, looks like he will contribute by the time BE season comes around, which was one of those uncertainties before the season started. I see JB starting to trust him more as these early games play out.

he definitely got a piece of that shot. He is surprisingly quick and gets up off the ground pretty high. I think he surprised the Wagner kid.

Love his hustle. Reminds me of the return of Rautins. Was giving up his body in a lot of defense. Great effort.

Cooney seems to be for real. On effort alone.

I'd say he outplayed MCW today, despite the latter's assists (nobody respected Keita). MCW simply doesn't hit the floor as often.

MCW had too many freshman-type mistakes - but Cooney DID deliver the day's greatest doozy. Kinda hilarious, though. Remember when he applauded himself for some recent good defense, while getting back on defense, and Ortiz blew right by him for a score? Cooney then did this bizarre head-hanging routine that seemed to last forever. Was he really that remorseful, or was it just an attempt to soften the response from the bench (or both)?

Cooney keeps playing like that he might end up starting soon!

Cooney keeps playing like that he might end up starting soon!

Over who?

Not happening.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Over who?

Not happening.

Agreed he's the 3rd guard. Looks like his defense and over all game can be good enough to sit MCW for teaching moments but he will not start over Triche or MCW!

Playing with a lot of grit.

A ton of grit. scrappy even. a real gamer with a high Bball IQ.

I'm sure he will be a huge fan favorite and a message board legend like Andy and GMac.

Hahaha. Outrageous.

Outrageous? How so? Radical responses not accompanied by explanations are the stuff of syracuse.com boards. I'll take my lumps - but ya gotta give 'em.

Over who?

Not happening.

It's been a meteoric rise for Cooney. He went from not being good enough to be the third guard to getting ready to crack the starting lineup in one game.

But this was inevitable, bees. After all, I read posts before the season that said Cooney was as good as fifth year Andy and already a better player than Triche.

It's been a meteoric rise for Cooney. He went from not being good enough to be the third guard to getting ready to crack the starting lineup in one game.

But this was inevitable, bees. After all, I read posts before the season that said Cooney was as good as fifth year Andy and already a better player than Triche.

If there's one thing that internet message boards teach you it's that there are too many people freely throwing around absolutes. Everyone's a Kreskin.

Cooney pulled a little DC2 (San Diego State, first points) out there. He was fired up a few times. I like the energy a few of the bench players are bringing; JSouth, Keita, Cooney especially, but Grant for limited time is playing hard too. We are going to settle down soon, building confidence with these wins. I have patience with DC2 too, just a confidence thing.

What's outrageous is MCW on the Wooden watch list as a Point Guard.

What's outrageous is MCW on the Wooden watch list as a Point Guard.
IF he stayed around for 2-3 years (which he won't), you'd be comparing him with The General.

Cooney is getting his hands on the ball often, rebounding and passing. Playing with a lot of grit, and even though he is not shooting well on paper, two of those 3 point attempts went in and out. But, very impressed with his defensive effort.

He went 2 for 5 from 3 (40%) in his first real game. Not shooting well on paper...?

He went 2 for 5 from 3 (40%) in his first real game. Not shooting well on paper...?
Sorry, that was present tense. He had not yet hit that second one, was 1 out of 3 at the time, and I was just stating that the two he missed at the time were in and out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom