Cooney defense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney defense

IF he stayed around for 2-3 years (which he won't), you'd be comparing him with The General.

You mean more years? This is his 2nd year.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A ton of grit. scrappy even. a real gamer with a high Bball IQ.

I'm sure he will be a huge fan favorite and a message board legend like Andy and GMac.

Why limit it to message board legends? I guess you didn't go to their final Dome games.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

best play of the game

Agreed. Wasn't sure if that was a deflected ball or a deliberate pass in real action. In the replay, looked like the latter. Very much like Andy to Scoop to Kris against UNC in November 2009. Kid played hard tonight. Can't help but be impressed.

I like how you managed to cram four white guy basketball cliches into that first sentence.

"dat's da joke"

Rainier_Wolfcastle.gif

also...the googles..they do nothing,

Agreed. Wasn't sure if that was a deflected ball or a deliberate pass in real action. In the replay, looked like the latter. Very much like Andy to Scoop to Kris against UNC in November 2009. Kid played hard tonight. Can't help but be impressed.
That play was right in front of me. It was clearly a deliberate pass.

Outrageous? How so? Radical responses not accompanied by explanations are the stuff of syracuse.com boards. I'll take my lumps - but ya gotta give 'em.

Outrageous because "effort" was the only insane "we love white people" buzz word that I hadn't yet seen used for Cooney, and then you used it to say...he outplayed MCW. That's crazy like beans man, like crazy beans.

That play was right in front of me. It was clearly a deliberate pass.

Yeah, definitely. In real time, I wanted to think so. In replay, it was clearly deliberate. For the next three days, I'm going to be irrationally bullish on Cooney. He played really well tonight, especially by comparison to his brief clumsy play on the ship last weekend.

Outrageous because "effort" was the only insane "we love white people" buzz word that I hadn't yet seen used for Cooney, and then you used it to say...he outplayed MCW. That's crazy like beans man, like crazy beans.

In the name of civility, it would be nice if you could wait to see if I've developed a pattern of playing TC positively off against others based on skin color before outing me as a klansman so soon. Thanks.

I could have thrown "execution" in there in place of "effort,"yeah, and MCW at the 1 had broader chores to do and therefore more opportunity for errors, but TC's motor was fairly obvious on both ends of the court in an out of the box manner.

He was the only one trying to stop dribble penetration. He was solid out there all around.

He'll get a lot more minutes if he keeps playing defense like that. We could see a rotation like last where the minutes are more even at guard.

Nice to know that Cooney is not allowed to play hard because if we were to ever point that out, then we would be declared racists.

Nice to know that Cooney is not allowed to play hard because if we were to ever point that out, then we would be declared racists.

Every player on this team plays very hard. Singling Cooney out for his effort is exactly what it appears to be. Saying he played better than MCW is like an SNL spoof on white fandome.

But on this board, Craig Forth is better than Fab Melo and Andy Rautins was our "best ever top of the zone defender." Hahaha, seriously, the townies are that crazy and comically predictable.

Every player on this team plays very hard. Singling Cooney out for his effort is exactly what it appears to be. Saying he played better than MCW is like an SNL spoof on white fandome.

But on this board, Craig Forth is better than Fab Melo and Andy Rautins was our "best ever top of the zone defender." Hahaha, seriously, the townies are that crazy and comically predictable.
At least Craig Forth showed up for his Final Four date. In that regard, he was better.

At least Craig Forth showed up for his Final Four date. In that regard, yes, he was better.

Fab got screwed. Most of our team, at any given time, has academic shortcomings similar to Fab. His simply occurred. The maliciousness directed at him is unfitting, Fab Melo is Cuse for life.

Forth was a pretty poor player, but he's Cuse and a champion, hard to complain. I'm well aware of your support personally for Forth, which I think is awesome because people came down way too hard on him, and that sort of support from the fan base probably helped him become a champion. So that is pretty awesome, and people like you made it happen.

But come on, at basketball, Fab was way, way, way, way, way better.

Fab got screwed. Most of our team, at any given time, has academic shortcomings similar to Fab. His simply occurred. The maliciousness directed at him is unfitting, Fab Melo is Cuse for life.

Forth was a pretty poor player, but he's Cuse and a champion, hard to complain. I'm well aware of your support personally for Forth, which I think is awesome because people came down way too hard on him, and that sort of support from the fan base probably helped him become a champion. So that is pretty awesome, and people like you made it happen.

Fab didn't get screwed. Just the opposite. He screwed his teammates. How many other players in Syracuse basketball history have been tossed off during the season for academics? Right.

Fab didnt get screwed he did the screwing with no condom. He got all the opportunities he could of and failed to utilize them. He let the players and coaches down.
Forth was the ultimate role player, he accepted his role and did what he had too. Not the most talented but thats not why he was recruited for.

Fab was also way, way, way, way better at ordering $3.50 pitchers of Honey Brown on Friday nights down at Chucks. I don't disagree; Fab was a better offensive player and a better shot blocker than forth. I'm still trying to figure out what your agenda is here, however.

Fab was also way, way, way, way better at ordering $3.50 pitchers of Honey Brown on Friday nights down at Chucks.

That's ridiculous...... I wouldn't pay more than $2.75 for a pitcher of HB.

That is a fallacy. I watched Triche and MCW routinely let Wagner players go right by them while Cooney at least tried to slide his feet and prevent some penetration. Not saying MCW and Triche are lazy players at all but facts are facts. They were not good up top keeping guards out of the paint.

That is a fallacy. I watched Triche and MCW routinely let Wagner players go right by them while Cooney at least tried to slide his feet and prevent some penetration. Not saying MCW and Triche are lazy players at all but facts are facts. They were not good up top keeping guards out of the paint.

racist!

Yes and I can bet you that the coaching staff is pointing that out to Mike and Brandon. When the guy backing you up works harder and more successfully at stopping dribble penetration its a great teaching tool.

Here is the thing. When you say Cooney "at least tried to slide his feet and prevent some penetration," you are implying that Triche and MCW did not try. I find that hard to believe for two reasons.

1. Wagner scored .71 points per possession for the game, which is low even considering the fact that Wagner has NEC-level talent. SU only had two better defensive performances last year and those came against Colgate and Manhattan. MCW and Triche spent 58 minutes on the court combined. Wouldn't the team's performance have suffered much more if they were as inept as you think?

2. Jim Boeheim played MCW and Triche 29 minutes each. Why would he give them that much playing time if they were not giving adequate defensive effort? It's not logical.

This doesn't mean that Triche and MCW were great defensively on Sunday and can't improve. Perhaps the coaches graded Cooney's defense higher. However, everyone plays hard. Sometimes players just perform better or worse because they are humans and not robots.

Fab got screwed? Id love to hear this one.

Forth talentwise wasnt the greatest big man to playnon the hill but he was a solid contributor...played the zone very effectively and had a helluva ncaa tourney.

Fab was mentally unstable...loved to drink and apparently never did any schoolwork. If that is your definition of getting screwed then we are all screwed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom