Cooney not ready | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney not ready

cooney vs James against a guard dribbling ? james is fine against most 3-4 guys. not a 2

He cannot finish in traffic. He just chucks it up hoping for a foul call. With that body, he should be able to create a lot more space down low for his shot (think Sully).
Exactly. He just charges at the goal like a bull in a china shop. Not sure why he doesn't just pull up and shoot a 10 foot jumper. He's a shooter

I have no clue why people love to bash players after one bad game. As for Coleman, I think he is still getting used to playing against guys his size. Everyone post move has to be harder and more explosive and as a result, his upper body has matched that intensity. He needs to keep his shot soft around the rim and let the ball leave his hand instead of forcing it. From where he shoots, the natural motion of the shot will give him the distance he needs. In short, his shot is too strong around the rim.

I have no clue why people love to bash players after one bad game. As for Coleman, I think he is still getting used to playing against guys his size. Everyone post move has to be harder and more explosive and as a result, his upper body has matched that intensity. He needs to keep his shot soft around the rim and let the ball leave his hand instead of forcing it. From where he shoots, the natural motion of the shot will give him the distance he needs. In short, his shot is too strong around the rim.

None of those things is going to solve the problem. Coleman has got to relearn his post move. He can't bring the ball down to his knees every time he receives a pass.

Right now, that's where the problem starts. It's a very difficult habit to break.

None of those things is going to solve the problem. Coleman has got to relearn his post move. He can't bring the ball down to his knees every time he receives a pass.

Right now, that's where the problem starts. It's a very difficult habit to break.

Uh...I disagree...regardless of where he puts the ball, how does that have anything to do with when he releases the ball? His shot is too strong and that is becasue he whips the ball. The only thing touching the ball when you shoot is your hands. You are talking about getting better in the post, I'm talking about being softer around the rim, or when he releases the ball.

Uh...I disagree...regardless of where he puts the ball, how does that have anything to do with when he releases the ball? His shot is too strong and that is becasue he whips the ball. The only thing touching the ball when you shoot is your hands. You are talking about getting better in the post, I'm talking about being softer around the rim, or when he releases the ball.

Sorry, didn't intend to be dismissive. Meant that how strongly or softly he shoots isn't going to matter much until he's able to consistently get the shot up without getting stripped or blocked. Step One: keep the ball up. Step Two: shoot more softly. (He's not getting to Step Two half the time.)

Sorry, didn't intend to be dismissive. Meant that how strongly or softly he shoots isn't going to matter much until he's able to consistently get the shot up without getting stripped or blocked. Step One: keep the ball up. Step Two: shoot more softly. (He's not getting to Step Two half the time.)

Thats ok...Every shot I've seen has been too strong no matter if its contested or clean. Its a little odd IMO. At his size it doesn't take much to have the ball travel 4 feet and hes putting enough behind it like he's shooting from the foul line. He is still a true frosh so I'm not getting worried or upset. I just find it wierd more than anything.

Thats ok...Every shot I've seen has been too strong no matter if its contested or clean. Its a little odd IMO. At his size it doesn't take much to have the ball travel 4 feet and hes putting enough behind it like he's shooting from the foul line. He is still a true frosh so I'm not getting worried or upset. I just find it wierd more than anything.

I was under the impression that soft shooting touch was supposed to be one of his strong suits. Could be that he's just not comfortable and it's throwing everything off. He's looked mediocre at the line, too, despite past success there.

totally agree, but unfortunately we have no other options. personally, and i am no where near 900 wins, but i love when he has James at 2, and is able to play cj, grant/rak, dc/b baye. he hasn't done it very much, but the 10 mins or so he has experimented with that lineup i don't think we have given up a basket. my nerves just can't take it. every time mcw, or triche is going to the basket i just see an ankle, or acl going and then we mine as well stop wasting our time. cooney isn't ready, and i never see him as a solid contributor. this year he will be forced to play bc our lack of guard depth, but as soon as patterson, ennis, silent G come in i don't see cooney getting an increase of minutes. yes i know were only 10 games in, but it's a huge difference between a 20 year old rs fr, and a barely 18 yr old true fr. the difference is huge, he should be much much further ahead of what we are seeing now, and obviously jim feels the same way

totally agree, but unfortunately we have no other options. personally, and i am no where near 900 wins, but i love when he has James at 2, and is able to play cj, grant/rak, dc/b baye. he hasn't done it very much, but the 10 mins or so he has experimented with that lineup i don't think we have given up a basket. my nerves just can't take it. every time mcw, or triche is going to the basket i just see an ankle, or acl going and then we mine as well stop wasting our time. cooney isn't ready, and i never see him as a solid contributor. this year he will be forced to play bc our lack of guard depth, but as soon as patterson, ennis, silent G come in i don't see cooney getting an increase of minutes. yes i know were only 10 games in, but it's a huge difference between a 20 year old rs fr, and a barely 18 yr old true fr. the difference is huge, he should be much much further ahead of what we are seeing now, and obviously jim feels the same way

Cooney has played about as well, or better, than most on this board expected. His ability on defense is what has surprised most and his shooting will get better as time goes on. Oh, how about that drive to the basket last night. This is a strong, smart player that is doing well in his first year of real play.

please note that the weight room alone can also reek havoc on practiced shooting mechanics.

I'm more concerned about Coleman than Cooney.

i think dc will be fine once he realizes he isn't playing against Solvay anymore. The only thing he does when he catches it on the block is drop his shoulder to the right, and bring the ball down to his knees. I have to think Hop is working with him on catching the ball, get composed, feel the defense , and then make a power move with the ball at your chest. I am starting to get concerned that he hasn't even begun to address this. He is a monster on the glass though, and that's more then enough we need from him this year

Cooney has played about as well, or better, than most on this board expected. His ability on defense is what has surprised most and his shooting will get better as time goes on. Oh, how about that drive to the basket last night. This is a strong, smart player that is doing well in his first year of real play.
i don't know i think people were expecting a lot more then 5.5ppg 32%fg and 30%3 pt

son of a biotch...I'm not ready either,but nobody here has started a thread about me:(

i think dc will be fine once he realizes he isn't playing against Solvay anymore. The only thing he does when he catches it on the block is drop his shoulder to the right, and bring the ball down to his knees. I have to think Hop is working with him on catching the ball, get composed, feel the defense , and then make a power move with the ball at your chest. I am starting to get concerned that he hasn't even begun to address this. He is a monster on the glass though, and that's more then enough we need from him this year

The key is the "getting composed" part. He needs to let the game slow down, and that's not exactly a switch that's easily flipped.

I was under the impression that soft shooting touch was supposed to be one of his strong suits. Could be that he's just not comfortable and it's throwing everything off. He's looked mediocre at the line, too, despite past success there.

I think he is just rushing it. This may be completely offbase, but from personal experience playing basketball-- sometimes down low in the paint, if you are surrounded by defenders, especially bigger ones, to avoid being blocked, you hold the ball tighter with your hand than usual. Because of this, when you jump to release the shot, your using more force than usual to fight through defenders' hands that may be trying to block you. This can lead to shots coming off "strong" off the rim.

I've noticed this with Coleman and as I've mentioned before, he is an undersized center. He is around 6'8". In high school, that is massive. In D1, that is nothing special. I think the length he has come across has caused him to rush his shot, potentially for reasons I mentioned above.

He will learn how to use pump fakes, keep the ball high, and use his strength to finish around the rim. Give it time. It's always a learning period for freshman, especially centers.

I think he is just rushing it. This may be completely offbase, but from personal experience playing basketball-- sometimes down low in the paint, if you are surrounded by defenders, especially bigger ones, to avoid being blocked, you hold the ball tighter with your hand than usual. Because of this, when you jump to release the shot, your using more force than usual to fight through defenders' hands that may be trying to block you. This can lead to shots coming off "strong" off the ring.

I've noticed this with Coleman and as I've mentioned before, he is an undersized center. He is around 6'8". In high school, that is massive. In D1, that is nothing special. I think the length he has come across has caused him to rush his shot, potentially for reasons I mentioned above.

He will learn how to use pump fakes, keep the ball high, and use his strength to finish around the rim. Give it time. It's always a learning period for freshman, especially centers.

He's certainly rushing, possibly in part because he recognizes that his hitch allows defenders to recover on him (or maybe that explanation is way off). Doesn't help that he's not much of a leaper, though it was good to see him get a dunk yesterday.

He's certainly rushing, possibly in part because he recognizes that his hitch allows defenders to recover on him (or maybe that explanation is way off). Doesn't help that he's not much of a leaper, though it was good to see him get a dunk yesterday.

He plays below the rim. His ceiling is Zach Randolph, IMO.

He plays below the rim. His ceiling is Zach Randolph, IMO.

That's a pretty high ceiling--I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, I don't think he's anywhere close to being able to contribute at the same level [stats aside] that Randolph or similar players like Sullinger were their respective freshman years. We need Coleman to provide a much needed inside presence for this team to excel, and right now he's struggling to get his shot off against players his own size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom