Cooney not ready | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney not ready

That's a pretty high ceiling--I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, I don't think he's anywhere close to being able to contribute at the same level [stats aside] that Randolph or similar players like Sullinger were their respective freshman years. We need Coleman to provide a much needed inside presence for this team to excel, and right now he's struggling to get his shot off against players his own size.

When I say ceiling, what I really mean is who I would compare him to in the NBA in terms of style.

Randolph might be a little high, but I think that Coleman can be 75% of Onuaku, with better rebounding. And that'll be good for us.

Randolph might be a little high, but I think that Coleman can be 75% of Onuaku, with better rebounding. And that'll be good for us.

he's already a near-elite rebounder. His rebounding percentage as a frosh is better than Rick Jackson's was as a senior (granted, the competition has not been as stiff yet). He also draws a lot of fouls - once he starts knocking down his free throws, his numbers will tick up, even as the other kinks in his game still need work.

Right now, he is leaving a lot of points on the table as he (a) fails to convert and (b) doesn't make his free throws, but I expect (hope?) that there will be at least a marginal improvement in (a) and a strong improvement in (b) by midway through the conference season. But, will the improvements be enough to qualify as a legit low post threat? I can't wait to find out . . .

he's already a near-elite rebounder. His rebounding percentage as a frosh is better than Rick Jackson's was as a senior (granted, the competition has not been as stiff yet). He also draws a lot of fouls - once he starts knocking down his free throws, his numbers will tick up, even as the other kinks in his game still need work.

Right now, he is leaving a lot of points on the table as he (a) fails to convert and (b) doesn't make his free throws, but I expect (hope?) that there will be at least a marginal improvement in (a) and a strong improvement in (b) by midway through the conference season. But, will the improvements be enough to qualify as a legit low post threat? I can't wait to find out . . .

I'm looking forward to seeing him improve, too. Sorry that he's not showing much progress on the dribble-and-duck front, though. He also gets fouled a ton; don't know how soon he's going to see consistent whistles. And who knows if he'll become a good free-throw shooter again. You know, because Syracuse doesn't devote practice time to such things.

I'm looking forward to seeing him improve, too. Sorry that he's not showing much progress on the dribble-and-duck front, though. He also gets fouled a ton; don't know how soon he's going to see consistent whistles. And who knows if he'll become a good free-throw shooter again. You know, because Syracuse doesn't devote practice time to such things.

They do everyday.

They do everyday.

It was foolish of me to put it that way; I haven't seen even a moment of a Syracuse practice in a long time (not since they've had the new practice facility, at least). So I don't know.

But Boeheim has been candid about there being a finite number of practice hours allotted to each team and there being a lot of more important things to work on than free throws. And we've been consistently mediocre from the line for over thirty years; it's difficult to believe that Boeheim's recruited Gerry McNamara and a couple hundred other guys who are both not very good from the line and unteachable.

Too small a sample size to make any legitimate judgments about Coleman, though he had a very nice shot when he came in and he's shot quite poorly through ten.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom