Cooney | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

Tray-Vor Cooney. According to the announcer...

5-6 from 3 last night brings him to 36-73 on the year from downtown.

49.3%!! Shump-esque numbers...

:)

CJ was the man against High Point and took control of the game. They stifled TC quite well in the first half. BUT, Cooney still managed to quietly score more points than anyone else on the floor.

Cooney is currently on track to shatter the Syracuse record for Season 3 pt. %. Matt Roe holds the record with a .474 , second is Greg Monroe with a .439% and third is Shump with .426% .

We have had only one player shoot over .400 since 2000 and that was Demetris Nichols with a .417 in 2006. Cooney is shooting his way into some rarified air if he keeps it up!

For those interested, Link: http://www.suathletics.com/documents/2009/10/27/Shooting Percentage.pdf?id=3597

Cooney is currently on track to shatter the Syracuse record for Season 3 pt. %. Matt Roe holds the record with a .474 , second is Greg Monroe with a .439% and third is Shump with .426% .

We have had only one player shoot over .400 since 2000 and that was Demetris Nichols with a .417 in 2006. Cooney is shooting his way into some rarified air if he keeps it up!

For those interested, Link: http://www.suathletics.com/documents/2009/10/27/Shooting Percentage.pdf?id=3597
It looks like you are referencing and quoting an old source. Just last year, in over 50 attempts, CJ was 46.9%.

First, I am glad I got to see the game live since it seems the announcer was excruciating to listen to. Second, on one of Trevor's 3's, he looked at CJ, CJ nodded his head, made a pick (screen?), and then Trevor made the shot. It was definitely a combo of Trevor working harder to find his shot, and the other players looking to help. Third, from my angle it looked like 4 out of his 5 3's should not have gone in, but they did!

Flacusian said:
Ah, yes! Right you are Sgt. Thank you and I stand corrected.

Yea, your stats are a Cooke years old but looking at it, 50 attempts seems very low for a season. I know Wallace greatly improved his outside shooting over his career but when I think of 3 point shooting, his name doesn't come to mind as having the 4th best season ever. Too few attempts for a season.

Ah, yes! Right you are Sgt. Thank you and I stand corrected.
Your point remains true though. If Cooney can keep this pace he will be the tops in 3 pt % here for people with over 50 attempts! And as Bees points out, 50 attempts is not very many.

Also according to my calculations Cooney will have the highest season to season percentage improvement for people with over 100 attempts - crushing J Cippola 6.8% improvement and also the highest improvement for people over 50 attempts, beating out Preston's current

The scary thing is he is now doing using a dribble or two as well.

Yep, he is deadly now. Amazing improvement and confidence now. I think he and that Pangos from Gonzaga are the best shooters in the country.

Teams are trying to cover this Cooney kid with ketchup, mustard, onions and relish and as long as his teammates can pick those off he should have a very nice year.

scouts will take note

Your data source is old.

CJ hit .469 from 3 last year, putting him in 2nd place all time!!

Just like Roy Danforth said about Jimmy Lee "All he needs is a little screen" TC is "Texas Hot"

Im not sure why 50 3 pt shots doesnt seem like many to most of you? thats about 2 per game. how many should a player take in a game? first off most players dont avg 20 pts but lets say you do and get 3-4 Ft's a game. that means you have to score 16 more, unless all you do is shoot 3's you are going to get 4-5 other scores that only leaves you with 2-3 made 3's in a game. Look at the NCAA stats last year of the top 40 players half of them took less than 100 3's. The top in the country only took 93 and the 2nd guy took 65. half the top 10 took less than 100.

Cooney isnt even in the top 40 right now.

Im not sure why 50 3 pt shots doesnt seem like many to most of you? thats about 2 per game. how many should a player take in a game? first off most players dont avg 20 pts but lets say you do and get 3-4 Ft's a game. that means you have to score 16 more, unless all you do is shoot 3's you are going to get 4-5 other scores that only leaves you with 2-3 made 3's in a game. Look at the NCAA stats last year of the top 40 players half of them took less than 100 3's. The top in the country only took 93 and the 2nd guy took 65. half the top 10 took less than 100.

Cooney isnt even in the top 40 right now.

because it's a very small sample size

upperdeck said:
Im not sure why 50 3 pt shots doesnt seem like many to most of you? thats about 2 per game. how many should a player take in a game? first off most players dont avg 20 pts but lets say you do and get 3-4 Ft's a game. that means you have to score 16 more, unless all you do is shoot 3's you are going to get 4-5 other scores that only leaves you with 2-3 made 3's in a game. Look at the NCAA stats last year of the top 40 players half of them took less than 100 3's. The top in the country only took 93 and the 2nd guy took 65. half the top 10 took less than 100. Cooney isnt even in the top 40 right now.

It's not enough to make teams worry about you. Depending how the team does in tournaments, it is more like 1.6 per game. Wallace wasn't seen as a threat nor was CJ last year. CJ had a lot of clean open looks. It's different when a player is taking 5, 6, 7 a game and the other team views them as a weapon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom