Cordy news... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Cordy news...

This is a no brainer to bring him back now that it seems he wants to play a sixth year. Is he the player he was before all of the injuries, of course not. That said he is a sixth year guy with tons of experience who was an All ACC player the first two years he was here before all the injuries and who can play all 3 secondary positions and not look lost out there. We know how snake bit we usually are with injuries so having him in the fold is fantastic depth. Those of you saying we don't need him are insane.

There is a 0.0 percent chance that Fredrick does not start at a corner spot if he's healthy.
Agree with this. I actually think there is little chance Melifonwu could be bumped out of the starting lineup either. LB and OL remain the main 2 position group battles to watch and there could also be some jostling at Backup QB (Summers vs Welch), WR, and RB (carry distribution).

The secondary on the other hand seems pretty entrenched. Melifonwu has great measureables (long, rangey) which fit the Tampa 2 mold for a corner and his play in limited action along with his family pedigree make me believe he has a shot at playing in the league, while Scoop has none of the above listed, but is definitely a valuable 3rd corner to have (maybe 4th if you count Trill).

Those years are now several in the past.

Who does he start over??
Our AA Safety?
The other Sr. Safety who is built like a LB, and hits like one?
The Sr DB who could be all-ACC this year (Fredrick)
The other Sr DB who has had tons of PT these past few years? (Scoop)
The incredibly talented youngsters who have more size and speed? (Trill, Iffy, Stritz, etc.)

Cordy barely saw the field last season before he got hurt.
Love the kid, and his heart and fire, but he's generously listed at 5'8", and has probably been recruited over.
Hope he gets some run, and is a great locker room presence for the younger guys.

But - barring injury - there's a zero point zero chance he starts.

I highly doubt he starts. I'm going to guess he's knows his role going in and will be used as a utility player. Might be our special teams stud.

I highly doubt he starts. I'm going to guess he's knows his role going in and will be used as a utility player. Might be our special teams stud.

Agree 100%. There is too much proven talent / experience ahead of him.

But that doesn't mean that Cordy can't play an important role -- especially if he ends up as a dime.

With Shy gone I could see Cordy being a leader on the Special Teams unit and doing whatever is asked of him in passing down situations. Injuries happen as well and I would much rather have a guy like Cordy coming in as a replacement than an unproven true freshman or PWO.

He knows our defense inside and out, he's seen as a leader by the coaches and players, and outside of ideal physical attributes he's everything you would want on your team.

Wow. We have some serious guarantees in here. 0 percent chance he starts and 0 percent chance he doesn't start. This could be the most interesting development going into the season. For me at least, and this thread.
We will see how this post ages, Zero percent is what is being thrown around, a 6th year player with tons of heart and experience and last chance to prove himself, I take the way over Zero percent chance.

He's small, but could Cordy make for a good Gunner on punt coverage?

Those years are now several in the past.

Who does he start over??
Our AA Safety?
The other Sr. Safety who is built like a LB, and hits like one?
The Sr DB who could be all-ACC this year (Fredrick)
The other Sr DB who has had tons of PT these past few years? (Scoop)
The incredibly talented youngsters who have more size and speed? (Trill, Iffy, Stritz, etc.)

Cordy barely saw the field last season before he got hurt.
Love the kid, and his heart and fire, but he's generously listed at 5'8", and has probably been recruited over.
Hope he gets some run, and is a great locker room presence for the younger guys.

But - barring injury - there's a zero point zero chance he starts.

There's a reason why Babers tried him out in the slot position and it wasn't for his receiving skills.