Cordy not coming back? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cordy not coming back?

Lol... the big question... as I read this my wife asked me the same thing. Honestly I don’t know. I don’t know if they will invite him back number 1. I don’t know if he wants to play another year here 2. And I don’t know if he wants to go to college another year 3. We will have a talk after the bowl game and see what he is thinking and what his options are. I think the coaches will do there year end player meetings a day or 2 after the bowl game.
Not to speak out of place, but I would think that Them not giving him the option to walk is pretty indicative of their thoughts to your question number 1. To me, that assumes that they expect him back.

Again, 100% outsider view, but that’s the way I would read it.

I can see no other reason that you wouldn't have him walk.

Not to speak out of place, but I would think that Them not giving him the option to walk is pretty indicative of their thoughts to your question number 1. To me, that assumes that they expect him back.

Again, 100% outsider view,but that’s the way I would read it.

Great point!

Again, 100% outsider view,but that’s the way I would read it.
LOL - I was just typing the exact same thing.

Just speculating here, but if he wasn’t given the option of participating with the seniors this year, that would suggest to me a real interest in the part of the coaches to have him return next year.

I want Shy and Cordy both back... We don't have the depth to jettison glue guys like those...What the F
The idea that Shy would not be invited back is mindboggling and would suggest HCDB believes he has NC talent next year. I for one don't see that. We should be very good but we still have a ways to go IMHO.
The status of both players is as of yet unclear. Nothing to get worked up over.

Whom do you have at the Mike fo '19, Richards? That's my dream LB combination ... Shy and Richards. I'd almost feel bad for opposing RB's (nah).
Could be. Richards has been playing some DE in recent games. He could make the exact transition Guthrie made so well from last year to this year. Guthrie has really come on as the season has progressed. Dino is now saying he will play on Sundays.

History says the returning guys who played the previous season have a big edge. If you look at experience only, Armstrong is going to be a starter, and Cullen and Richards are well positioned to be the others.

I believe Lakiem Williams is red shirting this year but his JUCO experience gets him in the mix too. I have heard some buzz about Juan Wallace, who apparently is a big hitter who has raised eyebrows in practice. And it is very possible one of the big young safeties gets moved to LB, ala Kielan Whitner. The staff values speed.

Again, 100% outsider view, but that’s the way I would read it.

I can see no other reason that you wouldn't have him walk.

It would be lunacy not to invite him back. And our coaches aren't lunatics.

I hope he returns.

Could be. Richards has been playing some DE in recent games. He could make the exact transition Guthrie made so well from last year to this year. Guthrie has really come on as the season has progressed. Dino is now saying he will play on Sundays.

History says the returning guys who played the previous season have a big edge. If you look at experience only, Armstrong is going to be a starter, and Cullen and Richards are well positioned to be the others.

I believe Lakiem Williams is red shirting this year but his JUCO experience gets him in the mix too. I have heard some buzz about Juan Wallace, who apparently is a big hitter who has raised eyebrows in practice. And it is very possible one of the big young safeties gets moved to LB, ala Kielan Whitner. The staff values speed.
Options galore. I've heard the same about Richards (DE), but if you watch the WF game tape they had him at the Mike the last couple series. He's got size, speed and he's a downhill hitter. Armstrong will definitely be in the mike conversation with his experience though.

Guthrie has really been playing well ... better gap discipline and he (along with Foster and Cisco) has been wreaking havoc on blitzes. I don't know as much about Wallace/Williams ... but it's reassuring to have talent waiting in the wings.

Last edited:
He's played in 5 games this season.
Bummer. If he ends up starting at the MIKE, where he has been listed as the top backup all year, we will have to replace him in 2020. Very unfortunate. If the staff allowed him to play in 5 games though with no real role, it probably says a lot about their plans for him next year.

I thought Cam Jonas might eventually become a LB at his size. 6-1 209 as an incoming freshman according to cuse.com. Shy was 209 in 2017 and is now 224. Whitner is listed at only 215 this year.

Would love to have him as a big S with even bigger LBs, but I think he could be a very good cover linebacker.

Lol... the big question... as I read this my wife asked me the same thing. Honestly I don’t know. I don’t know if they will invite him back number 1. I don’t know if he wants to play another year here 2. And I don’t know if he wants to go to college another year 3. We will have a talk after the bowl game and see what he is thinking and what his options are. I think the coaches will do there year end player meetings a day or 2 after the bowl game.
Re: #2. I know you know this as his father, but a great education & possible grad degree debt free should never be turned down. Its something that will put him ahead of peers for decades.

Sorry guys was driving from Boston during this conversation. Just got to Syracuse. I try and give you guys as much as I can without angering the coaches or putting the program in any bad light. That being said yes I do pass on to Shy the good stuff you guys say. He mostly stays off social media and forums during the season but I tell him the good stuff.
Second the coaches at this time are speaking to him as if he is coming back next year. There are only a few guys who have the red shirt for next years senior class so it does make sense he will be invited back. That being said they could decide to use his scholarship for a juco kid and tell him no.
They have told Shy they plan for him to be a starter next year. But they could do anything they could take 3 juco backers and shy can be in the same boat he was this year. They could start a true freshman. There are a lot of things that could happen. There are no guaranties in college football.
Bottom line is Shy would like to get a shot to play in the league and he will do what ever is best to give him that shot. If he was to start next year that would in my opinion give him the best shot. From there it would depend on weather starting is going to happen here or if he should search for a place his best skills will be on display as a starter. That said if he stays and ends up in the same position next year it would hurt his chance.. he could get hurt at worst. If that was his only option I would tell him he is better off taking a pro day this spring and hoping for a camp invite... after all the nfl team a few miles away values special teams and has paid more than one gunner to just play kicks and punts. He will have his degree this year so he could stay and further that or grad transfer or just leave with it and roll the dice on the league.
He may never get into the league or even get the invite... but his goal is to make sure he does what ever best puts him in position to get that shot so he can never look back with regret. It’s his decision either way and I will offer my advise but I support him what ever way he god s

Sorry guys was driving from Boston during this conversation. Just got to Syracuse. I try and give you guys as much as I can without angering the coaches or putting the program in any bad light. That being said yes I do pass on to Shy the good stuff you guys say. He mostly stays off social media and forums during the season but I tell him the good stuff.
Second the coaches at this time are speaking to him as if he is coming back next year. There are only a few guys who have the red shirt for next years senior class so it does make sense he will be invited back. That being said they could decide to use his scholarship for a juco kid and tell him no.
They have told Shy they plan for him to be a starter next year. But they could do anything they could take 3 juco backers and shy can be in the same boat he was this year. They could start a true freshman. There are a lot of things that could happen. There are no guaranties in college football.
Bottom line is Shy would like to get a shot to play in the league and he will do what ever is best to give him that shot. If he was to start next year that would in my opinion give him the best shot. From there it would depend on weather starting is going to happen here or if he should search for a place his best skills will be on display as a starter. That said if he stays and ends up in the same position next year it would hurt his chance.. he could get hurt at worst. If that was his only option I would tell him he is better off taking a pro day this spring and hoping for a camp invite... after all the nfl team a few miles away values special teams and has paid more than one gunner to just play kicks and punts. He will have his degree this year so he could stay and further that or grad transfer or just leave with it and roll the dice on the league.
He may never get into the league or even get the invite... but his goal is to make sure he does what ever best puts him in position to get that shot so he can never look back with regret. It’s his decision either way and I will offer my advise but I support him what ever way he god s
Goes*

Come on now. I get when he wasn’t playing but he has great chance now. Let’s go Shy. Pleaseeeee. Need aggressive fast kids. The coaches I’ll see the light.

Tough decision. Would like him to come back but can understand if he wants to move on with life rather than turning 24 and still being in college.

I hope he comes back. Started off slow but has been pretty good lately and I want him to enjoy another year of great football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom