Cornell Game Thread... | Syracusefan.com

Cornell Game Thread...

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
Not sure if we've done this in the past, but let's get a gameday thread going. That way we can direct all game-related thoughts and comments in one place. No need to have 10 different threads about one game.

image_handler.aspx

Syracuse vs. Cornell
Game Details
Friday, Nov. 10 | Syracuse, N.Y. | 7:00 p.m. | Carrier Dome
Game Coverage Live Video: ACC Network Extra
Radio: Syracuse IMG Network
Live Stats
Twitter: @Cuse | @Cuse_MBB
Instagram: @cusepics | @cuse_mbb
Syracuse Links Notes | News | Roster | Schedule
Cornell Links Notes | News | Roster | Schedule

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Syracuse begins its 2017-18 regular season against the Cornell Big Red in the Carrier Dome on Friday, Nov. 11. Opening tip-off is set for 7 p.m.

Tickets can be purchased on Cuse.com, by calling 1-888-DOMETIX or at Gate B of the Carrier Dome. Fans can also watch the game on ACC Network Extra.

For Starters
  • This will be Jim Boeheim's 42nd season opener as head coach for the Orange. Syracuse is 37-4 in season openers under coach Boeheim.
  • Syracuse won its two exhibition games this season versus Southern New Hampshire, 84-54, and Southern Connecticut State, 84-59. This marks the seventh season in a row the Orange have swept their exhibition series.
  • This is the first of six straight home games that Syracuse will play in the Carrier Dome to open the 2017-18 season.

Newcomers
  • Freshmen Oshae Brissett, Bourama Sidibe, Howard Washington and Marek Dolezajalong with redshirt freshman Matthew Moyer will play in their first official collegiate game. Brissett scored 17 points against SNHU and 16 versus SCSU.
  • Graduate transfer Geno Thorpe will make his regular season debut for the Orange. Thorpe produced six points, four assists and four steals off the bench against Southern Connecticut State on Monday.

Returners Look to Lead
  • Sophomore Tyus Battle headlines the Orange returners. Battle led Syracuse in scoring with 20 points in each of the exhibition contests. The West Award watch list member will look to lead the Orange to victory in the season opener.
  • Frank Howard, a junior point guard, will be an essential part of the Syracuse offense. Howard scored 19 points in the exhibition game against SCSU.
  • Redshirt Junior Paschal Chukwu returns to the Orange lineup after missing all but seven games last season due to injury. Chukwu will play a major role defensively in the center of the 2-3 zone. The center stands at seven feet, two inches tall and combined for nine blocks in the two exhibition contests.

Scouting the Big Red
  • Syracuse looks to improve its all-time record against Cornell, which currently stands at 91-31. The teams first met on Feb. 16, 1902, which resulted in an 18-15 win for the Orange.
  • The Orange have won the last 37 meetings against the Big Red. Cornell's last win in the series was a 93-81 triumph on Dec. 4, 1968.
  • The Big Red rank sixth in the Ivy League's 2017-18 preseason poll. Last season, Cornell finished with an 8-21 record.
  • Junior guard Matt Morgan returns for the Big Red. Morgan was the leading scorer in the Ivy League last season, averaging 18.1 points per game.
  • Freshman Jimmy Boeheim, the son of coach Boeheim, will make his collegiate debut for Cornell in the Carrier Dome.

Are you implying that Tee has multiple personalities? Because that would be pretty cool.

Using gender neutral language as I don't know Tee's preferred gender. I think "he" has referred to "himself" on multiple occasions. But not sure, hence the neutrality.

You just done pissed Tee off.
Haha, if I still had a sip left, my coffee would have gone flying out of my mouth!
Didn't mean to steal Tee's thunder. They can make the next GDT.
All good things, my friend. :)
Are you implying that Tee has multiple personalities? Because that would be pretty cool.
Working on it!
(so am I)

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I'm interested in tracking tonight is the minutes allocation. I would guess that Sidibe gets the majority of minutes at the 5 although he won't start.
Agree about Sidibe. Might hold true for Marek as well, but I thought Moyer had a few good moments 2nd half. Another interesting one would be Franky and Thorpe. Would love to see improvement in Geno's play but let's hope that was his health. Still. I think people are unfairly hard on Frank. I still believe and he had some nice flashes last game.

Just reading the game notes Hak posted at the top of this thread -- you would think somebody in our SID would know the date of our of season opener:

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Syracuse begins its 2017-18 regular season against the Cornell Big Red in the Carrier Dome on Friday, Nov. 11. Opening tip-off is set for 7 p.m.