Could DeAndre Smith Be Next? | Syracusefan.com

Could DeAndre Smith Be Next?

That was the other shoe.

I agree, Jeremy. Yikes. Hopefully Shafer can figure out a way to keep him.

Hope we can bump his salary a bit would be a big recruiting loss for sure.

Tempting for him with a Melvin Gordon to put on his coaching resune

So what, he got "recommended". That's a pretty lateral move if you ask me.

It is a lateral move bnoro. I would think a lot of the decision will come down to money and hope SU gives him and the other assistant coaches raises to pay them comparable to other comparable P5 programs. If we lose him due to money, its a clear indication that the program's priorities are not where I want them to be.

Walker is a rb coach in the nfl, he ain't going anywhere.
I think that's the point. When Shafer was filling out his staff, there was (at least) a daily post suggesting Walker.

This is exactly why SU shouldn't be paying a monster salary to a women's lacrosse coach. The money should go to a higher priority and that's the football staff period. When there's money left over after paying the football staff a more than fair wage then you can spend money on nonrevenue sports

Am I allowed to post that the problem regarding compensation inequity is a "whispered rumor" bell I've been clanging for quite some time now.

It really is up to the Doctor being non-committal with the new ACC revenue streams and a lack of commitment to use those dollars for football program compensation - he could solve this problem in about 2 seconds. I'm not talking FSU or Clemson or SEC levels, but also not be on the low end of the other side of the bell curve either - just somewhere nearer the middle. Nuff said.

Last edited:
So what, he got "recommended". That's a pretty lateral move if you ask me.

surely it's a nice pay bump

Now we see why another Chicago guy was hired as the O-line coach

Would be rough to lose RB, WR and OL coaches all in the same year! Damn. Hopefully he stays with the staff he knows.

He's obviously a good RB coach, but they are a dime a dozen. Would not surprise me to see Wisconsin making the run at Smith just because of his reputation for recruiting Chicago. Don't think he didn't butt up against Wisconsin out there this past year.

He's obviously a good RB coach, but they are a dime a dozen. Would not surprise me to see Wisconsin making the run at Smith just because of his reputation for recruiting Chicago. Don't think he didn't butt up against Wisconsin out there this past year.

RB coaches are the easiest to replace IMO.