Couldn't help but wondering why our DBs | Syracusefan.com

Couldn't help but wondering why our DBs

Halfmooncuse

Hall of Fame
give so much cushion. I can remember at least two plays when SU gave one of the the right wide outs about 10 to 15 yards at the snap. The QB then threw to the wide out and the last man standing made a great open field tackle or it would have been a TD. The wideout was so open and I was sitting on the 50 yard line I would have thrown it to him as well. Its almost like we will give you a 5 to 10 yard completion but we are not going to let the receiver get behind us. The down was first and ten too.

But when SU had ball the UConn receivers were within 5 yards. (I know we won and Lemon had a career day).

They play a lot of man. We on the other hand play a lot of zone. In cover 3 you have 3 deep men and the lbs are responsible for the flat. With most of the blitzing the idea is to get to the qb before someone can run a ten to fifteen yard out.

I have some concerns about our secondary. I think that the UCONN game was a little deceptive because Shafer knew that we could blitz the hell out of their QB because he just is not an accurate passer under pressure. UCONN really wanted to go with their running game and when Shafer shut that down the passing game wasn't a great option. The fact that UCONN adjusted with those quick slants that were all too easy to execute has me worried against any team with a QB that an pass worth a damn. They killed us on that drive with those quick slants and opposing coaches, I would guess, have taken notice of this. I hope that we either can get to the QB quicker with our overly aggressive defense, or that we can cover/disrupt the quick passes enough that the opposing QB will think twice about the quick pass.

The secondary is playing so deep to prevent big plays. Big plays KILLED us last year.

The defense has really stepped up their run protection, but to do that, something has to give. Six guys in the box means five in coverage. Better to play deep and give up 15 yards than play close and get burned at the line of scrimmage.

One of my pet peeves with this team is the lack of balls touched by the defense. The front line doesn't bat down balls, the LB's doesn't and the db's doesn't. Eskridge did it on a crossing pattern and that was a wonderful play and let's face, his speed and size helped. SU blitzed a lot more vs uconn because they knew they could (their qb did miss several wide open guys) but when they don't they still need the guys covering the passes to read/react quicker to the ball in the air. They have been getting better as the season has progressed and we knew coming in they were pretty young at CB.

when teams play 3-4 wideouts most teams have at least one db off the line. we are no different than most, the difference is that our DB's dont always get a good jam off the line and struggle to stay tight.

One of my pet peeves with this team is the lack of balls touched by the defense. The front line doesn't bat down balls, the LB's doesn't and the db's doesn't. Eskridge did it on a crossing pattern and that was a wonderful play and let's face, his speed and size helped. SU blitzed a lot more vs uconn because they knew they could (their qb did miss several wide open guys) but when they don't they still need the guys covering the passes to read/react quicker to the ball in the air. They have been getting better as the season has progressed and we knew coming in they were pretty young at CB.

You do realize how difficult it is to bat down a football playing defensive line, right? This isn't the NFL, players aren't able to hold their ground while getting a hand up.

Eskridge's size and speed helped? So your discrediting his pass breakup because he's athletic?

The explanations are good but I still don't think a defender on 3rd down should vacate the area trying to prevent a long bomb.

You do realize how difficult it is to bat down a football playing defensive line, right? This isn't the NFL, players aren't able to hold their ground while getting a hand up.

Eskridge's size and speed helped? So your discrediting his pass breakup because he's athletic?

No you're right, if he was 5 foot tall and ran a 5.0 40 he would have been there to knock it down.

How many of Nassib's passes have been batted, I'll bet it has a lot more time than SU has on D. I realize it's difficult just commenting on the facts that I have seen.

The explanations are good but I still don't think a defender on 3rd down should vacate the area trying to prevent a long bomb.

The "soft" coverage, rather than the CBs rolling up tight or jam the WR at the line, is by design. They are trying to keep the play in front of them by encouraging the QB to take what is there - quick, short passes, and then CBs must tackle with no additional gain. Part of that is design, and part of that is to protect CBs who might not be good in coverage. Good teams have attacked that scheme with bubble screens using a TE as the "lead" blocker.

The defense has done a nice job of having the lb's take a good angle at that bubble screen. Also, I don't know if anyone does that particular screen better than Northwestern and USC had some god given speed there to do something with the ball.

The "soft" coverage, rather than the CBs rolling up tight or jam the WR at the line, is by design. They are trying to keep the play in front of them by encouraging the QB to take what is there - quick, short passes, and then CBs must tackle with no additional gain. Part of that is design, and part of that is to protect CBs who might not be good in coverage. Good teams have attacked that scheme with bubble screens using a TE as the "lead" blocker.

But on third down, do you want to vacate past the downs marker?

But on third down, do you want to vacate past the downs marker?

Because SU has a shark in the weeds.

I wonder if the CB's played off accidentally on those or it's just Shafer wanting them to play if safe first and foremost. At times it does seem they play a little too far but my guess is that it has shrank as they have got more experience and confidence.

That is fine on 1st and 2nd down but unacceptable on 3rd and long. At this point there is no reason to even attempt a blitz, as teams know where to go with the ball pre-snap and we never get to the QB. How many times are we going to let the outside WR on the right side go up 10-15 yards and to the seam? Every team has run that play against us and it is always open. Thank God UConn's QB stunk or they would have done the same. Can we at least try to jump that route or put a guy in the passing lane? Or how about trying to disguise the coverage just a little so it isn't as easy and gives the blitz a chance?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom