count on Rutgers throwing a ton on Saturday | Syracusefan.com

count on Rutgers throwing a ton on Saturday

kcsu

Living Legend
I think that they are going to look at the Pitt tape and come out throwing. With the size they have at WR and the success that Pitt had throwing the ball. Yes they had success they just didnt stick with it... I can see Rutgers testing our CB's. I hope like heck that Anderson doesnt get torched early as has been the case. Really worried about Coleman as he is a match up issue for us. Would love to see Shamarko put a little fear into the big guy but please anything other than Anderson on an island.

Good

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Good

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Ya outside of Coleman catching a deep ball which I fully suspect, our pass D against Rutty has been pretty good the past few years.

No they are going to go down field. 15-30 yard throws taking advantage of their size. Count on it. I think they see our Db's as the weak link in our D and they are correct. I want to see Lynn and Reddish at CB Anderson is a good kid but he is going to be torched by these guys. Make them beat us on the ground. Make Rutgers sustain a drive. Take away the pass stiffen up inside the 40 and we will be fine but please do not let them get behind us.

lots of wr screens and bubbles

A good question for the coaches show this Thursday would be to ask Marrone if they plan on changing how they defend that type of play. As Jake noted in another thread we seem content to allow 8+ yards a clip everytime this play is run.

JC, I believe we need to make Rutgers sustain long drives. I watched the Ark game and the Uconn game and i just dont see them putting together long drives. I would use a bend not break type of D against them. I would take our shots on D when we have the odds in our favor. I just dont see this team beating us unless we let them get behind us. Keep everything in front. Make their QB beat us as he is mediocre at best. Simply put dont take chances as they just dont have it to sustain long drives.

Schafer has been consistently successful in pressuring rutgers QBs. I assume that will once again be the game plan with multiple fronts and zone blitzes designed to confuse the OL and Nova.

However I can see rutgers making a living off the bubble screen Saturday and sending a deep post behind it at a key point in the game.

Limit the big plays and make nova go 75 yards each possession.

Offensively, I honestly see problems. Their d is very good. But I think their front four might be vulnerable to a good ground game. I see a return of the TE and a power running game for us.

I just don't like our wrs against their DBS. Passing will be a challenge.

Schafer has been consistently successful in pressuring rutgers QBs. I assume that will once again be the game plan with multiple fronts and zone blitzes designed to confuse the OL and Nova.

However I can see rutgers making a living off the bubble screen Saturday and sending a deep post behind it at a key point in the game.

Limit the big plays and make nova go 75 yards each possession.

Offensively, I honestly see problems. Their d is very good. But I think their front four might be vulnerable to a good ground game. I see a return of the TE and a power running game for us.

I just don't like our wrs against their DBS. Passing will be a challenge.

JC, I believe we need to make Rutgers sustain long drives. I watched the Ark game and the Uconn game and i just dont see them putting together long drives. I would use a bend not break type of D against them. I would take our shots on D when we have the odds in our favor. I just dont see this team beating us unless we let them get behind us. Keep everything in front. Make their QB beat us as he is mediocre at best. Simply put dont take chances as they just dont have it to sustain long drives.

Agree with pretty much your entire post. You cant give Rutgers a short field, if there going to score make them go 60-80 yards each time. I also think with there kicker likely out there going to play for 6 much more then they have as Flood appears to be a conservative type of guy like Schiano. As Jake noted below Shafer is going to blitz and honestly he should as Sunseri showed Fri night if you rush 3 bad things will happen no matter who is behind center. This is a great game to bring a lot of pressure but to also disguise a lot of coverages as blitzes and then back off at the snap into coverage. Still we should be blitzing on at least 50% of the snaps, its how you beat Rutgers.

It is counter intuitive but that is exactly what they are preparing for. I would take away the run and the long game and make this guy beat us with short passes in front of us. I truly expect them to game plan against our blitz as that has been our MO for the last three years. Back off and see what they can do than bring the heat after we get a lead

how many wr bubble screens did Pitt run in the 2nd half? we totally changed how we played it, they went to 3 man routes that we failed to cover. we stopped playing safety deep coverage and went to a lb on the slot and took that play away. not sure we can do that as much against rutgers. you cant play press coverage if you are a slower team so you have to give something up. until we beat someone deep no one will let us get cheap bubble screen yards.

the first half we had issues covering man up. the 2nd half we had blown assignments when they played 3 tight wr off the line.

It is counter intuitive but that is exactly what they are preparing for. I would take away the run and the long game and make this guy beat us with short passes in front of us. I truly expect them to game plan against our blitz as that has been our MO for the last three years. Back off and see what they can do than bring the heat after we get a lead

Um no. Make them prove they can protect Nova. Sitting back and letting him get into a groove is the last thing we want to do. We need to force the issue on D this game. We will NOT be able to sustain long drives against their D. So we need to win the field position battle. Bending will just force the O into long drives.

Um no. Make them prove they can protect Nova. Sitting back and letting him get into a groove is the last thing we want to do. We need to force the issue on D this game. We will NOT be able to sustain long drives against their D. So we need to win the field position battle. Bending will just force the O into long drives.
Disagree

hoping that there isn't a solar eclipse gameday,otherwise nova might go blind looking up at the sun all day

We're going to show them defensive looks we haven't unveiled all week and that we've been saving for just this game. :D

Rutgers offense is very similar to Pitt in that they run the ball to set up the pass. Seems to me that it's an advantage that we are playing a similar style of team two weeks in a row. Shafer will do a good job. To me, the key to the game is TO margin. Points will be at a premium and we can't afford to turn the ball over.

Rutgers offense is very similar to Pitt in that they run the ball to set up the pass. Seems to me that it's an advantage that we are playing a similar style of team two weeks in a row. Shafer will do a good job. To me, the key to the game is TO margin. Points will be at a premium and we can't afford to turn the ball over.

They are very similar but Rutgers has a couple deep threats especially Coleman who could get loose for a deep ball and even a deep touchdown. Pitts receivers really didnt have that kind of threat despite Streeter catching 150 yards worth of passes. Rutgers has receivers who can take a medium to deep pass and turn it into 6. Will be interesting to see if we play our safety's deeper or change up coverages to have some help over the top. Wilkes is not the type of safety you want to see in this game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom