Court Storming fight between players and fans | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Court Storming fight between players and fans

How exactly would you ban court storming? I mean, it technically already is "against the rules" but how do you enforce it? If you've got an arena full of, say 12,000+ rabid fans who want to get on the court, how are you going to be able to stop them without using excessive force?

The only possible way I can think of is to penalize the home team by forfeiting the contest, but I can envision scenarios where that leads to controversy and isn't necessarily entirely effective.

How exactly would you ban court storming? I mean, it technically already is "against the rules" but how do you enforce it? If you've got an arena full of, say 12,000+ rabid fans who want to get on the court, how are you going to be able to stop them without using excessive force?

The only possible way I can think of is to penalize the home team by forfeiting the contest, but I can envision scenarios where that leads to controversy and isn't necessarily entirely effective.

Lack of institutional control. Loss of scholarships, post-season bans, financial penalties. ... maybe even the death penalty.

Or you have to play a season in the AAC. ;)

Eh, make the penalties strong enough and it would stop. Right now, it's really in no one's interest to stop it - just look at any of the ESPN or CBS montages and see how often they show court-stormings. This is fine by me. But there is no doubt that if these incentives change, this will stop.

Even just fining the schools more than a nominal amount would almost certainly be enough. They'd beef up security and also start disciplining students who went on the court - no more court storming.

SEC has banned court storms and schools must pay fines if it occurs (i think its $50,000). I don't remember the last SEC court storm, although those fans don't have much to celebrate either.

I have seen SEC schools on a few occassion line the court with lots of security in anticipation of a storm (or even victory).

The only danger with this policy is it does cause the threat of crushing, which is probably more dangerous than an actual storm.

There was alot of pushing but the only punches I saw thrown were as follows:

1) Daniel Mullings of New Mexico at the 17 second mark, is swarmed by Utah Valley fans and at least 3 fans throw punches at him.

2) In retaliation #25 of New Mexico takes a shot at the fan who was most aggressive of the bunch. Given that this guy had thrown multiple punches this is acceptable self defence, and he should get no more than one game.

No doubt in my mind, Utah Valley has to suspend students from games for at least the next 5 home games. All fans that swarmed Mullins, should be banned from games for life.

Err. New Mexico State. This is like getting Michigan and Ohio State mixed up!

I'm stunned it took so long for something like this to happen quite frankly.

A non profit RushNoMore... :noidea:

Say it ain't so!
upload_2014-2-28_15-16-2.jpeg