covid booster and anecdotal info on covid breakthroughs | Syracusefan.com

covid booster and anecdotal info on covid breakthroughs

SUbear

All Conference
My wife and I received booster shots today(both 73) out of caution. So far no reaction at all. We had no contact with any of my family below.

My extended family has experienced several covid incidents in the last month. My 1 year old grand niece contracted it first, she was obviously unvaccinated. Her grandmother(my sister} then got it, the childs brother and father were then tested positive and had it. The two adults had been fully vaccinated. All had very mild cases very similar to a common cold. Strange thing was neither the child's mother nor older sister showed any sign of the disease. No one knows how the original case in my infant grand niece was contracted. No known contact.

My wife and I had breakthrough cases last month. She had it 1st and I laughed at her for the 1st 3 days about how my J&J was all powerful and then on day 4 I started coughing. Lost taste/smell for about 10 days which was miserable but that was about the extent of it for either of us.

Wife and I had breakthrough cases a few days after the Liberty game. The couple who sit in front of us and with whom we also tailgate got it at the same time. We didn’t have to be hospitalized, but it was worse than any cold or flu I’ve ever had. Symptoms are still lingering and we are not at full-strength. She and I both received the Pfizer vaccine last spring.

with mix and match now being a thing (if the news reports are to be believed) it seems everyone should be hopping on the Moderna booster train. right?

Wife and I had breakthrough cases a few days after the Liberty game. The couple who sit in front of us and with whom we also tailgate got it at the same time. We didn’t have to be hospitalized, but it was worse than any cold or flu I’ve ever had. Symptoms are still lingering and we are not at full-strength. She and I both received the Pfizer vaccine last spring.
That's terrible. Do you think that you caught it at the game/tailgate?

with mix and match now being a thing (if the news reports are to be believed) it seems everyone should be hopping on the Moderna booster train. right?

'Why?

look at the numbers it really doesnt matter much Phizer or Moderna which boost you get. Its only a couple pts either way. The big jump is the JJ people need to be switching it up.

I got the Pfizer booster Friday afternoon after work. In retrospect, it probably was not a good idea with a road trip to VT happening the next day.

But I didn't have any reaction to the first 2 Pfizer shots and was pretty sure I would be fine with this one too. And I was. No issues. Maybe a little more tired Saturday than normal but getting up at 4:20 AM and all the traveling I did might have had something to do with it.

If you get it at the State Fair, note that this is currently a much more small scale operation. The national guard is running it and there were only a couple of stations where they were giving the shots. I didn't bring my vaccination card and should have. No biggie; they just gave me a new card.

Any reason you got the Pfizer over Moderna?
Probably like myself, he got the Pfizer the first time and Moderna hasn’t really rolled out their booster shots yet having only recently being approved. Pfizer boosters were the first to be fully approved.

Probably like myself, he got the Pfizer the first time and Moderna hasn’t really rolled out their booster shots yet having only recently being approved. Pfizer boosters were the first to be fully approved.
Cherie is correct, as usual.

I have an infant granddaughter, an 83 year old mother in law and just lost a friend at year to COVID (he chose not to get vaccinated).

I am going to do what I can to avoid getting infected and getting others infected. Maybe next time around I will try Moderna.

Cherie is correct, as usual.

I have an infant granddaughter, an 83 year old mother in law and just lost a friend at year to COVID (he chose not to get vaccinated).

I am going to do what I can to avoid getting infected and getting others infected. Maybe next time around I will try Moderna.
As previously posted in this thread, I have had the booster, also have had senior flu vaccine. None of this prevented my getting a rather bad respiratory illness, which caused me to miss the Clemson game and my scheduled trip to VT. Tested for covid on day six of contracting and test was negative for covid. Seems to be getting better now. Damn all respiratory virus.

My brother, who drives a school bus since retiring, tested positive for covid along with two others in his household. Said he was pretty ill, fully vaxed. I had no contact with them either.

Last edited:
lots of confusion around the work place as to who really qualifies.. in reality very few I know do, but I know several who have signed up because they really wont confirm anything anyway. Our local Moderna stuff is booked into almost Dec now. Several people asked HR if they qualify and the answer was we are not making that decision for you. read the guidelines and make your own decision..

people working at the hospital I know were told they dont qualify as high risk and are too young for the booster..

lots of confusion around the work place as to who really qualifies.. in reality very few I know do, but I know several who have signed up because they really wont confirm anything anyway. Our local Moderna stuff is booked into almost Dec now. Several people asked HR if they qualify and the answer was we are not making that decision for you. read the guidelines and make your own decision..

people working at the hospital I know were told they dont qualify as high risk and are too young for the booster..
My stepson is a pharmacist who has given many vaccine shots. He was completely clear that anyone under 65 who claims to be in one of the exception categories will get the booster. No questions asked.

My stepson is a pharmacist who has given many vaccine shots. He was completely clear that anyone under 65 who claims to be in one of the exception categories will get the booster. No questions asked.
thats pretty much what I think is happening.. I know people under 65 who have no job right now who have signed up and getting a booster.

My wife and I got the booster shot a week ago yesterday at the fair (Pfizer) after the two original Pfizer shots last spring. No side effects other than a slightly sore arm for a day or two.

Would have asked for the Moderna booster, but they weren't offering that option early last week.

Last edited: