Cowherd is killing Melo | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cowherd is killing Melo

I don't really understand what he's talking about when he says Melo is a career killer. Who's career has he killed exactly? Allen Iverson, who was washed up already by the time he got to Denver? Amare Stoudemire who has been an injured disaster his whole tenure with the Knicks? He makes statements like that and then doesn't back them up with any evidence. He's a complete clown.

Cowherd repeatedly says of Melo, "He has absolutely no self awareness". He also says that as a result of that and being extremely self centered that nobody wants to play with him. That is a pretty difficult assertion to prove especially when it isn't true.

Melo has always been a prolific scorer. That's what he is. He has never been a defensive stalwart and never will be. You've got to take the chaff with the grain. There's always some trade off when a player excels at one aspect of the game they oftentimes are not so good in another area.

Melo has no help on that team. He is overplayed and is expected to do more than he is capable of doing game after game after game. The Knicks are a mess and it's not Melo's fault. Cowherd needs to back off the criticism and if he is so freakin insightful why doesn't he offer up what he sees as a solutions for the problems the Knicks have. The lazy guy is Cowherd in just scapegoating Melo rather than coming up with something substantive.

And I can't stand when someone is trying to drive home a point and then screws up facts. Cowherd said AND he only has averaged 2 assists for his career. It is actually 3, and while some people may think that's splitting hairs he wouldn't screw that up if he was talking positive about a player.

Hell, look at the guys in his inner circle. Kobe loves him. CP3 loves him. LeBron loves him.

Look at how he plays in the Olympics. It's not his fault he plays for such an inept franchise.
Actually it is. He chose to go there, and they were inept before he jumped on board.

jekelish said:
Hell, look at the guys in his inner circle. Kobe loves him. CP3 loves him. LeBron loves him. Look at how he plays in the Olympics. It's not his fault he plays for such an inept franchise.

^^^^^^This. Not trying to rag on the OP, but NBA players don't hate playing with Melo. That's ridiculous. NBA players hate/hated playing with guys like Monte Ellis.

44cuse

just want to say thanks for singling me out and adding to the discussion.

a. i clicked on the link and it automatically goes to the last post
b. you said that melo is arguably the best player on team USA.

All I asked were if you were possibly biased?

moqui said:
the thing is, he knows next to nothing about basketball. he admits that he's a football guy (I don't watch football so I can't say whether he is equally dim there); he only talks about hoop because he has too and he rarely says anything insightful. Mostly he just repeats the conventional wisdom, even (especially?) when it isn't that wise.

I'm on the other side of this one. I listen to him everyday and generally find him to be spot on in terms of the NBA and the NFL. Doesn't really know anything about CBB, that I agree with.

Remember, he was also the first, on the day of...to Support JB, question the accusers motivations, and look deeper into the story.

I happen to disagree with him here in Melo, but generally find him pretty spot on.

44cuse

If they called the game like they call it for Kobe or LeBron - Melo would average an extra 10 points. He gets treated unfairly because he's strong and plays near the rim.

His head bands always -eyed from getting hit down low.

a. i clicked on the link and it automatically goes to the last post
b. you said that melo is arguably the best player on team USA.

All I asked were if you were possibly biased?

i made an edit in your response.

i think there is argument that he was the best player on the last two olympic teams. i then further expanded that he is not as good as king james but not as bad as what cowerd is portraying.

and damn right i am biased. i like brunettes more than blondes. i like pizza over brussel sprouts. i like former syracuse orange players over loud mouth know-it-all commentators.

cowherd. does anybody care what he has to say?? does anyone even listen??

heres the order of who matters on NYC radio:

1. da Pope himself Mike Francesa
2. Boomer & Carton
3. Beningo & Roberts
4. Steve (The Schmoozer) Somers (do yourself a favor, if youve never heard 1 of his opening monologues give it a listen, without a doubt...the best)
5. Id say Tony Paige probably goes here
6. about 10000 or so callers to the FAN
7. Mark Malusis
8. another 10000 or so callers to the FAN
9. Fill in hosts at the FAN
10. Michael Kay
11. Mike & Mike
12. Stephen A
13. lupica
14. nobody else
15. cowherd and everybody else

dumping on Melo & the Knicks is the radio equivilant of NFL & WWE Superstars going to the k-4 playground and beating kids up.

it takes no effort, is mindless and is useless.

i feel bad for him.

i hope he got loaded at the company Christmas party and didnt prepare for a show.

i made an edit in your response.

i think there is argument that he was the best player on the last two olympic teams. i then further expanded that he is not as good as king james but not as bad as what cowerd is portraying.

and damn right i am biased. i like brunettes more than blondes. i like pizza over brussel sprouts. i like former syracuse orange players over loud mouth know-it-all commentators.

cool... I'm not mad at you.

Cowherd is just mad that ESPN radio in NY replaced his 3rd hour with an hour from Mike Lupica...

Man, I know he is just looking for a reaction, but he's going off - "Melo is a lazy ball hog." "Melo is a coach killer and a career killer and that's why agents don't want their players going there." "Melo is out of shape."

Yikes.

Haven't read other posts, but Cowerd flames on Melo every chance he gets. Ever listen to his radio show? He is always going on about Melo being overrated and Melo being a cancer. Pretty sure Cowerd is just mad because he got rejected from Newhouse.

I'm on the other side of this one. I listen to him everyday and generally find him to be spot on in terms of the NBA and the NFL. D
I can't recall ever having heard him say anything about the NBA that wasn't already conventional wisdom . . . which, in a lot of cases, will make him spot on - the CW is often right, after all. But I don't think I've ever heard anything insightful from him about the sport at either the professional or college level. He does his homework (so he knows the CW) and he has good guests (so we get some good tidbits listening to his show . . . just not from him)

He's been bashing Melo for the last 2-3 weeks at least. He dismisses the Olympics and repeats that NBA stars want to play with Lebron and CP3. Talks about how Denver won that trade with no mention of what Denver is currently getting from the players acquired, or the fact that Denver couldn't advance in the West because it lacked a go-to scorer.

Full_Rebar said:
He's been bashing Melo for the last 2-3 weeks at least. He dismisses the Olympics and repeats that NBA stars want to play with Lebron and CP3. Talks about how Denver won that trade with no mention of what Denver is currently getting from the players acquired, or the fact that Denver couldn't advance in the West because it lacked a go-to scorer.

I don't think it's absurd that stars want to play with James and Paul. Both guys LOVE to distribute and are extreme playmakers while Melo is not in that category. Melo is a scorer and a hell of a one, he needs a team around him that buy into him being the scorer, he needs a pass first point guard around him. Somebody like MCW or a Rondo with Melo would make the Knicks and Melo much better than they are.

I can't recall ever having heard him say anything about the NBA that wasn't already conventional wisdom . . . which, in a lot of cases, will make him spot on - the CW is often right, after all. But I don't think I've ever heard anything insightful from him about the sport at either the professional or college level. He does his homework (so he knows the CW) and he has good guests (so we get some good tidbits listening to his show . . . just not from him)

Google "Colin Cowherd" and "John Wall." And throw in "father" too maybe.

moqui said:

Not saying you because I actually know the answer. But there isn't much CW on this board when it comes to the NBA. So he should be informative for most here. ;)

I dunno, guess it's just a matter of personal opinion because he's the national guy I like to listen to. I think most here don't like him because he said Syracuse wasn't a great place a couple of years ago. It's like the people who say Gottlieb is an idiot as a result of being able to needle SU fans. He's not an idiot, people just think that because he said something they didn't like.

And agreed, he does get very good guests.

44cuse

Haven't read other posts, but Cowerd flames on Melo every chance he gets. Ever listen to his radio show? He is always going on about Melo being overrated and Melo being a cancer. Pretty sure Cowerd is just mad because he got rejected from Newhouse.

This - he's always had some strange hatred for Melo. Not that he makes completely off the wall arguments every time, but Melo could average a triple-double and he would just go on about how he is not making the players around him better or some other nonsense.

Hell, look at the guys in his inner circle. Kobe loves him. CP3 loves him. LeBron loves him.

Look at how he plays in the Olympics. It's not his fault he plays for such an inept franchise.

since he manuevered his trade there it's kinda his fault

Big question of the day is will Melo be able to get out of bed tomorrow in time for the Knicks' noon start?

I don't think it's absurd that stars want to play with James and Paul. Both guys LOVE to distribute and are extreme playmakers while Melo is not in that category. Melo is a scorer and a hell of a one, he needs a team around him that buy into him being the scorer, he needs a pass first point guard around him. Somebody like MCW or a Rondo with Melo would make the Knicks and Melo much better than they are.

It's not absurd. I forgot to add that Cowherd followed that by saying no free agent wanted to play with Melo, without stating the fact that the Knicks can't afford any of them. If NY could take another max contract, someone would have no problem coming to the Knicks.

Typical " I have to say outrageous stupid things so people watch or listen" Nothing more. F terd

cowherd. does anybody care what he has to say?? does anyone even listen??

heres the order of who matters on NYC radio:

1. da Pope himself Mike Francesa
2. Boomer & Carton
3. Beningo & Roberts
4. Steve (The Schmoozer) Somers (do yourself a favor, if youve never heard 1 of his opening monologues give it a listen, without a doubt...the best)
5. Id say Tony Paige probably goes here
6. about 10000 or so callers to the FAN
7. Mark Malusis
8. another 10000 or so callers to the FAN
9. Fill in hosts at the FAN
10. Michael Kay
11. Mike & Mike
12. Stephen A
13. lupica
14. nobody else
15. cowherd and everybody else

dumping on Melo & the Knicks is the radio equivilant of NFL & WWE Superstars going to the k-4 playground and beating kids up.

it takes no effort, is mindless and is useless.

i feel bad for him.

i hope he got loaded at the company Christmas party and didnt prepare for a show.
Haha, I agree with most of this. I would put Stephen A. a little higher though. Even though he just screams and rants, he does have some legit connections and people do listen to him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom