Craft lost that game for them | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Craft lost that game for them

I wasn't sure what the rule was. I guess you have to wait until the ball hits the rim, not just until the shot is released. And that play illustrates why- you don't want the shooter to just pass it to himself. Live and learn.
The players lined up along the foul lane can go once the foul shot is released. The others, including the shooter, may not advance past the foul line extended until the ball contacts the rim. Which was the call we got vs UNC-A.

The players lined up along the foul lane can go once the foul shot is released. The others, including the shooter, may not advance past the foul line extended until the ball contacts the rim. Which was the call we got vs UNC-A.
And to take it a step further, the players may not even break the plan of the ft line. An important distinction.

Am I the only one who thought it was a brilliant attempt? He crossed the line too early, but I thought the concept of quick shooting was brilliant. If he waits just a brief moment more, he still would have gotten that rebound. Kansas' big men were flatfooted .

Early in the year I said that Kansas was crap and didn't belong in the top 25. I think I'm going to have to pay more attention.

And to take it a step further, the players may not even break the plan of the ft line. An important distinction.
Which is what I was trying to say as "may not advance past the foul line extended until the ball contacts the rim".

Early in the year I said that Kansas was crap and didn't belong in the top 25. I think I'm going to have to pay more attention.
Kansas was crap earlier in the year, they just got a lot better as the year went along.

They did get a couple of breaks just to get to the NC game, the biggest being Kendal Marshall breaking his wrist. KU doesn't beat UNC with a healthy Marshall.

Am I the only one who thought it was a brilliant attempt? He crossed the line too early, but I thought the concept of quick shooting was brilliant. If he waits just a brief moment more, he still would have gotten that rebound. Kansas' big men were flatfooted .

Personally I thought the plan to miss the foul shot was a given - execution was bad but the percentages weren't on his side even if done well. If Kansas was flat footed and didn't expect to have to rebound a missed free throw - shame on them and shame on Self. I'm thinking with all the controversial foul lane calls , Kansas wasn't going to take the chance of leaving early. Maybe Craft and Ohio State thought it was worth the odds that the refs would be reluctant to make the right call this time at the end of the semi-final game.

Disagree on the FT play being brilliant, but that's always debatable. What's not debatable is the stupid little standing around with his arms out waiting for an explanation while Kansas played on and time ran out. Play until the final horn, kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd sure like to have him on our squad next year.

I'll take MCW, Craft would be a complimentary off the bench energy bunny here and be a nice back-up ball-handling option. Certain he's happier with his role at OSU.

Craft = Paulus Jr.

Neither of them shut the up while playing.

Kansas won that game in the last 5 minutes because OSU was dead tired. Sullinger had a hard time getting back on defense. The Kansas guards would just get the ball and go and it was always 5-4.

Definitely true. OSU was gassed at the end and it cost them the game.

And all the right call. That's the rule and if the kids don't know it or don't care to follow it, that's on them and the coaching staffs. Craft's lane violation tonight was obvious and it's amazing he actually thought he could get away with that.

I actually think that would be an effective play if you have a signal to your two teammates in the lane that you are going to do that. A quick line drive off the rim might catch the D napping and give one of your two teammates a chance to get the ball, then anything can happen. Might work better than hoping it bounces your way off the rim.

I actually think that would be an effective play if you have a signal to your two teammates in the lane that you are going to do that. A quick line drive off the rim might catch the D napping and give one of your two teammates a chance to get the ball, then anything can happen. Might work better than hoping it bounces your way off the rim.

Along those lines, I kind of agree with Jake about it being situationally "smart," given that the Kansas players didn't look set. The problem is, it is only smart / effective if your teammates are on the same page and ready for it [i.e., if it is a set play that your team has worked on in practice, and you're expecting it without signals, the coach calling timeout, etc.]. In this case, it looked like Craft just did that on his own--and obviously jumped the gun heading into the lane.

So, the idea was smart, but his execution was piss poor. And it cost OSU the chance [not saying it would have happened, but the chance] to get an offensive rebound / putback.

I've seen that play ran a few times (the quick shot) and the shooter leaves early every time. I would imagine there are situations where they don't, but not that I've ever seen.

I think I've seen it result in an airball too...not sure though.

I thought it was a very smart play by Craft that came pretty close to working. I don't know if he knew the rule about no crossing the plane of the free throw line before the ball hits the rim but after the UNCA/SU and the ND/Xav games he probably should've.

Of course, that rule does make it harder to successfully complete the play but even so I too think he still might have been able to do it.

I think I remember Mark Jackson at St John's doing it many years ago. There's a possibility the rule was instituted because of him, I'm just not sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom