Crap we are never good at | Syracusefan.com

Crap we are never good at

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
-feeding the post.

-blocking out someone, anyone.

Year after year after year. Players come in. Players leave. The issues remain. Are we just the unluckiest program in the nation where we just keep ending up with guys that cant do these simple basketball tasks? At some point one has to look at the constant instead of the variables.

Coaching focus points -- feeding the post and blocking out have never been.

I'd add willingness to think about and enhance our pressure strategies (when fans call your "press" a trunk-monkey there's a problem).

I honestly think coaching the US team has been a positive and a negative. Probably helped a bit with recruiting, but honestly it seems like it's hurt JB's ability/willingness to connect with players who aren't NBA material.

We can say what we want...our point guards are better than CT's guard last night. But they're not playing better. I think that's on the coach...screaming at people for an error is not a solution

Who teaches these guys to set screens?

Who teaches these guys how to use screens?

Who teaches these guys how to rebound?

All signs of toughness. All things these players refuse to or cant do.

Weve recruited finesse players who aren't athletic.

-feeding the post.

Year after year after year. Players come in. Players leave. The issues remain. Are we just the unluckiest program in the nation where we just keep ending up with guys that cant do these simple basketball tasks? At some point one has to look at the constant instead of the variables.
Aren't coaches suppose to do this stuff?
We have an all alumni coaching staff who does things 1 way.
I don't think this staff develops talent each year. It relies on the individual to get them selve better.

Coaching focus points -- feeding the post and blocking out have never been.

I'd add willingness to think about and enhance our pressure strategies (when fans call your "press" a trunk-monkey there's a problem).

I honestly think coaching the US team has been a positive and a negative. Probably helped a bit with recruiting, but honestly it seems like it's hurt JB's ability/willingness to connect with players who aren't NBA material.

We can say what we want...our point guards are better than CT's guard last night. But they're not playing better. I think that's on the coach...screaming at people for an error is not a solution

JB will yank a player who doesn't get out on a 3 point shooter before he can run back down the court. I can't remember him yanking a guy for failing to put a body on someone and having it lead to a cheap put back. Clearly not one of his points of emphasis.

I wonder how much better our low post play would be if Bernie Fine were still coaching the bigs.

-feeding the post.

Free throws. Guys who use glass.

Seems like forever ago that Rick Jackson would get the ball in the post or be in perfect position for an easy layup or dunk seemingly every time down the court.

JB will yank a player who doesn't get out on a 3 point shooter before he can run back down the court. I can't remember him yanking a guy for failing to put a body on someone and having it lead to a cheap put back. Clearly not one of his points of emphasis.
And half the time he's calling out the wrong guy. Often times the guy who "didn't get out" on the shooter is actually making up for someone else who was supposed to be there

And half the time he's calling out the wrong guy. Often times the guy who "didn't get out" on the shooter is actually making up for someone else who was supposed to be there
It's JB's way of kicking the dog.

I wonder how much better our low post play would be if Bernie Fine were still coaching the bigs.
Most over rated coach in the history of Syracuse sports. What Syracuse big man developed a hook shot under Bernie? He wasn't a very good coach.

lol Yeah, JB doesn't know who made the mistake but you do.

I remember people upset right here about hurting players' feelings when JB limits players time and/or complains about it in press conferences regarding a lack of effort rebounding. Why do people think Roberson's time has decreased??? Some think it's unfair when he's in the dog house for it. Darned if you do, darned if you don't. People have short memories.

Most over rated coach in the history of Syracuse sports. What Syracuse big man developed a hook shot under Bernie? He wasn't a very good coach.
A drop step and a baby hook. How freaking hard is it for a D1 athlete to learn?

But most fans generally just follow the ball and don't understand why zone rotations break down. They see a defender failing to close on a shooter and think he screwed up. Knowing this, JB probably selects the easiest target to rip to appease fan angst. Similar in a way to how gladiator fates were often determined by spectator sentiment. Granted this would suggest such behavior is more prevalent at home games.

But most fans generally just follow the ball and don't understand why zone rotations break down. They see a defender failing to close on a shooter and think he screwed up. Knowing this, JB probably selects the easiest target to rip to appease fan angst. Similar in a way to how gladiator fates were often determined by spectator sentiment. Granted this would suggest such behavior is more prevalent at home games.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood, but failing to close out a shooter is a screw-up. Or at least it was when I coached, and I ran the same defense.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood, but failing to close out a shooter is a screw-up. Or at least it was when I coached, and I ran the same defense.

Reading comprehension:

Often times the guy who "didn't get out" on the shooter is actually making up for someone else who was supposed to be there

Most of these posters weren't around in the fan era when everyone hated Bernie

JB said it in the presser the other night. You don't block out in the zone. You go get the ball.

JB said it in the presser the other night. You don't block out in the zone. You go get the ball.
It's kind of hard to "go get the ball" when the other team has better positioning because they're already closest to the basket (especially on the weak side). We're consistently near the bottom of defensive rebounding percentage and it's not because our players lack willpower as JB would imply. He can't be objective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom