Crazy fluctuation in the new AP Poll | Syracusefan.com

Crazy fluctuation in the new AP Poll

Eric15

Living Legend
1669663115018.png

This is why preseason polls make zero sense. They should just do it at the start of the conference season especially since it bakes in who ultimately is selected for the tournament.
Can’t have the #2 vs # 5 made for money preseason showdown without rankings

Historically, what is the largest drop (1 week) for a #1? UNC smack dab between Bama and Iowa St is correct...but dang from 1 to 18...

Edey is the best college big man in a long time. He's an absolute load.
Matt Painter and his staff are so good at finding and developing big men.

This is why preseason polls make zero sense. They should just do it at the start of the conference season especially since it bakes in who ultimately is selected for the tournament.

Not really agreeing with your conclusion. The impacts of flawed early season polls do not impact tournament selection, at least in my view. Even if a first poll was more accurate at January 1, that January 1 poll would still be pretty much irrelevant to the selection process as well when tourney selection comes around.

While I agree that early season polls take some time to flush out / bring in some teams those will be corrected by the end of the year after a 30+ game sample - with the exception of name brand biases which will exist whenever you do your first poll in November or January.

What is of primary importance to a conference at January 1, is how it has performed as a whole because that drives the whole tourney selection process after that.

If the poll on January 1 overrates a conference vs. how it has actually done to that point, the metrics that matter (which are driven by OOC play by your conference, and not # of teams in top 25) will sniff it all out because of how sensitive the actual metrics (top 50 wins for example) are to conference OOC play.

Last edited:
Anyway based on my post above I have no issue with early season polls in basketball because they really have no impact at the end. I think its a bigger problem in football, since the season is shorter and there is a lack of relevant OOC play to cross measure conferences.

Ultimately pre-season polls are an exercise for entertainment purposes only.

But they also add some structure from a viewing perspective early in the season - they tell you the teams who are likely to be good, even if its not an exact science Its always interesting to see teams that may have failed to meet or passed expectations, even if that baseline

Edey is the best college big man in a long time. He's an absolute load.

I love watching Edey, but to say he's the best college big in a long time is a bit of a strong statement in my opinion. Somewhat related, unless we shock the world and get to the tourney, I'll be rooting for Purdue and Gonzaga.

Purdue having 8 first place votes and finishing behind Zona who received zero makes no sense

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom