Crazy thought here | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Crazy thought here

I wrote that it should be deleted but it was supposed to be a joke. I don't think anything should be deleted or moved unless it's inflammatory. If you don't like it, don't read it, simple enough. Repetitive posts should be removed but people opining, even if it strays off topic, should continue.
Tom has made it very clear why recruiting threads especially need to stay on topic.

declarative yet uninformed statements like this are a big part of the problem.
Are they though? Can you honestly tell me the roster is where it needs to be?

We will have a new commit before too long. I wouldn't be shocked to see 3 by the end of May.
We'd all love that. The buzz around the program and on here when commitments happens is always good.

An issue I have with the criticism of who SU is is and is not recruiting is that none if us know which kids have said "I am not coming to Syracuse" or theybknownthe kid won't leave home, or which have had coaches or HS folks tell JB, "don't recruit this kid," or which kids the staff has decided aren't worth the headache they will bring to the program.

After you know that, you can question who we are or are not recruiting.

declarative yet uninformed statements like this are a big part of the problem.

Playing devils advocate with you now...

Posts that you like that are speculative are ok? But posts that you disagree with that are speculative are the problem?

Do you see what I'm saying? People have lost the capacity to decipher the difference between a belief and actual knowledge. Beliefs are being spewed as fact. And if they jive with the general consensus they are ok/tolerated. If not they are the "problem." I don't think that's fair.

The problem is people like posts that agree with their point of view. But when they don't agree, only then, are they called out on making uninformed declarations. It has to be a two way street. Just saying...

Last edited:
Maybe the staff knows something we don't. Only explanation.

This is what I would like to see a lot more of.

Tremont Waters (or anyone for that matter) decommits or becomes available and all of a sudden there are posts that we should offer that person. Then follow up posts either agreeing or pooh poohing.

What we don't see a lot of anymore is discussion of the reasons behind and merits of those decisions. The HW thread contained some of this while he was awaiting an offer, but I don't see it in many of the other threads.

When the staff doesn't offer a guy like Waters what would be interesting to me is discussion around what the reasons are. Clearly there are reasons we didn't offer him...its not that JB didn't know he was available or that JB likes the idea of going into next season with just 3 guards yada yada...... Common sense and rational thinking has to tell you that there are valid reasons for not offering. It would be great to be debating those reasons here, rather than discussing the topic as though it is just a binary - offer / no offer decision.

Part of the reason this doesn't happen is that most people contributing to these threads (myself included) would have nothing to add, because we truly don't know the staff's reasons behind the decisions they are making.

Last edited:
An issue I have with the criticism of who SU is is and is not recruiting is that none if us know which kids have said "I am not coming to Syracuse" or theybknownthe kid won't leave home, or which have had coaches or HS folks tell JB, "don't recruit this kid," or which kids the staff has decided aren't worth the headache they will bring to the program.

After you know that, you can question who we are or are not recruiting.

I'd like this post 100x if I could.

So many things go into the offer/no offer decision and we know virtually none of them. Yet we rip the staff apart because they did or did not offer a kid. You didn't even touch on the biggest decision point and that is that the staff's evaluation of a kid's ability may differ from the recruiting services and they don't feel he is going to be the type of player that will be able to contribute in the ACC. That doesn't mean the staff is always going to be right, but they need to be able to trust/rely on their own judgment rather than just blindly following the herd.

I felt like this was the case with HW. Clearly he was a marginal prospect. Yet the longer we went with scholarships available and the more times he said he wanted to come the louder the din became around what is the staff doing, they are nuts, how can they not snap up this kid that wants to come here?? Maybe the answer was the staff had serious doubts about whether he will be able to contribute here and they were desperately looking for Plan A, B, C and D before settling on Plan E.

Playing devils advocate with you now...

Posts that you like that are speculative are ok? But posts that you disagree with that are speculative are the problem?

Do you see what I'm saying? People have lost the capacity to decipher the difference between a belief and actual knowledge. Beliefs are being spewed as fact. And if they jive with the general consensus they are ok/tolerated. If not they are the "problem." I don't think that's fair.

The problem is people like posts that agree with their point of view. But when they don't agree, only then, are they called out on making uninformed declarations. It has to be a two way street. Just saying...
nah I'm just talking about people who don't know what they're talking about putting stuff out there, and saying it in such a way, to come off as in the know... speculation/opinions, on the other hand, are what fan message boards are about - if you don't know something don't act like you do

This is what I would like to see a lot more of.

Tremont Waters (or anyone for that matter) decommits or becomes available and all of a sudden there are posts that we should offer that person. Then follow up posts either agreeing or pooh poohing.

What we don't see a lot of anymore is discussion of the reasons behind and merits of those decisions. The HW thread contained some of this while he was awaiting an offer, but I don't see it in many of the other threads.

When the staff doesn't offer a guy like Waters what would be interesting to me is discussion around what the reasons are. Clearly there are reasons we didn't offer him...its not that JB didn't know he was available or that JB likes the idea of going into next season with just 3 guards yada yada... Common sense and rational thinking has to tell you that there are valid reasons for not offering. It would be great to be debating those reasons here, rather than discussing the topic as though it is just a binary - offer / no offer decision.

Part of the reason this doesn't happen is that most people contributing to these threads (myself included) would have nothing to add, because we truly don't know the staff's reasons behind the decisions they are making.
Hit the head right on the nail with what the point I was trying to make with this post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom