CTO - a question for you | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

CTO - a question for you

This was an interesting reaction! Most people who responded apparently love to clap until the first basket and cannot be stopped no matter where they are. But the reason I brought it up is because other people find it tedious, even people on this board.

CTO - I agree with your answer that probably if "someone" tried to stop it, people would want to do it more than ever in defiance. Kind of along the lines of "This is a sucky tradition but by god, it's OUR tradition!" (Get your government hands off my Medicare!) I have a hard time imagining what we would do in its place. It does seem there would be a vacuum and vacuums need to be filled. I've got a feeling that in 100 years, people will still be standing and clapping.

I think the practice is fine for home games and road games where the school has defined seating sections, as is the case in NCAA games. But doing it on the road when you are one of only a handful of people in a section is disrespectful imo.

I only have two points of contention about the tradition.

1) Why is it so damn hard to keep a rhythm? Every time we're on offense during the clapping, it speeds up to an unsustainable tempo and has to be restarted again. Be excited that we might score, but calm your hands the F down lol. It happens on defense, too.

2) Why does everybody stop clapping when the opponent scores? Don't give them that respect. Clap louder, dammit.

Why is this such a big deal?

Seriously..

I'm gonna start a new tradition where we stand and clap until Cooney hit his first three.
Well, if you start to try and clap when he first gets to the line, your hands will never meet. That kid is so lightning quick, so thunderous, he'll shake the potatoes right outta ya.

I don't have a problem with standing and clapping. It's the rush to sit down, and the feeling of everyone getting settled in and comfortable in their seats for quite awhile that bothers me. Like, we stood and clapped, our work is done for awhile. It's rare that the crowd is loud and fired up early in games.

OburgOrange said:
Out of curiosity, do the people on either side of you along the front row stand and clap or sit as well?
I'm pretty sure everyone in the front 3 rows stay seated.

Actually, I think the ushers briefed us on it when the showed us to our seats.

First year after I graduated. I had season tickets in Manley. 1977. I remember first thinking it was crazy but it caught on fast. Manley was more intimidating. We also did "Who's He, So What, Bid Deal Who Cares and Big Sh-- for each of the opposing 5 starters. If we were on TV everyone heard that last word and we all thought it was so funny. That also lasted a long time, and eventually flamed out. I also remember the Carrier Classic with Magic Johnson. I think we won, and he was the mvp? But I'll never forget seeing him. He was impressive. Sort of like Melo or Ennis as a Freshman!!

We also did "Who's He, So What, Bid Deal Who Cares and Big Sh-- for each of the opposing 5 starters. If we were on TV everyone heard that last word and we all thought it was so funny. That also lasted a long time, and eventually flamed out.

Nope.

Still going strong.

Better yet I'm only 29 so when and how did this become a tradition?

During the early 80s, when the opposing team would make a free throw everyone would yell obscenities in unison. It became really loud and popular. And then one day JB addressed the crowd and told us to stop or our team would get a technical. It was pretty funny. There was also a tradition of throwing Oranges. But I think they put the breaks on that one also.

Dave85 said:
During the early 80s, when the opposing team would make a free throw everyone would yell obscenities in unison. It became really loud and popular. And then one day JB addressed the crowd and told us to stop or our team would get a technical. It was pretty funny. There was also a tradition of throwing Oranges. But I think they put the breaks on that one also.

They would yell

$HIIT. F UCK YOU A$$HOLE

At the BE tourney in MSG a few years ago, we were playing St. Johns. The 2 guys in their 60's next to me were life long Johnnies fans. They proceeded to argue with me about how we stole the tradition from them. I told them I never knew they did that. I don't know what they were more mad at, that or when I told them MSG was our court. The looks on their faces made my day.

Nope.

Still going strong.
Didn't realize that. Over the years I have been mostly to games in the NYC area. I was at one game 2 years ago at the dome, but it was the first game of the season. I really have to get back next season for one of the big games.

Because the two people who sit behind me are two short, elderly women who have supported the team for decades. If they stood behind me while I was standing... they would not see anything but the back of my head. If I am seated, they can see the court.

Everyone who uses my seats gives them the same courtesy.
CTO---That is a logical, specific reason that shows your courtesy and awareness of those around you. I would do the same in your situation, which I would welcome, BTW. (Feel free to PM me with the opportunity. ;))

From a different perspective, I began attending games at Manley in the late 70's and I had no idea why I was standing and clapping. I also didn't know why I was screaming when the opposing team was shooting foul shots. It was also great to shout out the "traditional" starting five chants at the opposing team (even though I knew "Big Sh$t" didn't make any sense).

At the risk of being overly dramatic, my father had some major health issues that affected his short-term memory and we have had a great deal of trouble relating since the mid-80's.

However, to this day, we can relive those old memories, and stand and clap at a Syracuse basketball game without needing to know what effect it has on the team. It is simply a way of bonding, like many of the traditions that people share in athletic events.

In short, I hope the tradition continues...LGO!

Why is this such a big deal?

Seriously..

I'm gonna start a new tradition where we stand and clap until Cooney hit his first three.

I'm starting a tradition where all the fans do head stands until Cooney throws down his first two handed breakaway dunk followed by flashing the Trev Nasty Face!

They would yell

$HIIT. F UCK YOU A$$HOLE

When I was at SU from 06-10 a group in the front of the student section would yell "YOU STILL SUCK BALLS" after an opponent made the 2nd FT. Through the TV I still hear the students yell out something after made FTs, but I don't know if that's it or not.

When I was at SU from 06-10 a group in the front of the student section would yell "YOU STILL SUCK BALLS" after an opponent made the 2nd FT. Through the TV I still hear the students yell out something after made FTs, but I don't know if that's it or not.
This ($HIIT. F UCK YOU A$$HOLE) trumps that by100X ...I understand why they stopped because it was pretty clear what they were saying and the students werent the only ones saying it.

F em up f em up, go SU
We're gonna kick the stuff outta u.

This ($HIIT. F UCK YOU A$$HOLE) trumps that by100X ...I understand why they stopped because it was pretty clear what they were saying and the students werent the only ones saying it.

Yeah that's so much better. It's vulgar, but it would still be hilarious if we did this today and it could be heard clearly on TV. Anything to make southern ACC fans more uncomfortable with having a loud, obnoxious northern fan base in the conference.

For a program with such few traditions, why would anyone want to eliminate one like this?

We already eliminated the "serenading" of opposing players during the intro... YOU...BIG stuff...etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom