"Culture vs. agriculture..." | Syracusefan.com

"Culture vs. agriculture..."

Louie&Bouie

Scout Team
I was born in Syracuse, but grew up in NW Pennsylvania. My parents and both sets of grandparents graduated from Syracuse (my father and maternal grandfather both attended on full scholarships for crew).

Needless to say, it was bred into me at an early age to despise anything that related to PSU. I can remember my father (a staunch, devout Republican) writing a check to the top Democratic contender during the time frame that Paterno was considering running for Governor of PA. It remains the only time in my life that I saw my dad support a Democrat.

When I was 16, my parents began taking me to different schools to decide on a college (although in my mind, it was pretty much pre-ordained where I would attend). We were trekking through NY visiting Union, Hobart, and West Point, when the subject of $ came up. My father's terse response was something along the lines of "I'll pay for your tuition at any school that you can get into. I will not, however, pay for you to attend Penn State or Notre Dame". My mother tried to object, and I can remember him looking at me in the rear-view mirror and discussing the SU vs. PSU relationship as "culture vs. agriculture".

He called me last week and repeated that age-old mantra. Sometimes dads are right...

Perhaps a silly question but I don't get the agriculture reference. Is that in reference to PSU's location?

Perhaps a silly question but I don't get the agriculture reference. Is that in reference to PSU's location?

It was based on the fact that one of their best known schools in the '70's and '80's was their School of Agricultural Science. Just always cracked me up when my dad said that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom