Curious | Syracusefan.com

Curious

Marsh01

Living Legend
Are people more upset with the recruiting ramifications with Hackett leaving or the fact that we lost our offensive coordinator? I read a lot of posts last night and got a mixed bag. Curious as to what people are thinking. Or are you just bitter that DM took him?

As far as a coordinator goes, look there are other OC's out there who have both the experience and knowledge that NH has and its our job to go find that person.

If the recruits that people have mentioned are still committed to Syracuse then this is not as bad as we are all making it out to be.

Do we also know that DM approached NH or did Hackett approach DM about the position?

im pissed that Syracuse was dumb enough to not have a coach search and thought that only marrone was going and therefore they didnt have to do shlit.

now the shafer hire looks worse than i already thought it was.

blow this thing up right now and get diaco in here. hes got to have some recruits in his back pocket.

theyre actually making the jets presser look like a mensa meeting.

Oh Lord

Are people more upset with the recruiting ramifications with Hackett leaving or the fact that we lost our offensive coordinator?

Both A) and B). Double whammy.

I think this sets the program back. Ugh! But hopefully not to pre-2009 levels.

im pissed that Syracuse was dumb enough to not have a coach search and thought that only marrone was going and therefore they didnt have to do shlit.

now the shafer hire looks worse than i already thought it was.

blow this thing up right now and get diaco in here. hes got to have some recruits in his back pocket.

theyre actually making the jets presser look like a mensa meeting.

Oh Lord
Why would Diaco leave ND to come here? Lateral move, no? Or are you suggesting SU demote Shafer and install Diaco as HC?

Are people more upset with the recruiting ramifications with Hackett leaving or the fact that we lost our offensive coordinator?

Both A) and B). Double whammy.

I think this sets the program back. Ugh! But hopefully not to pre-2009 levels.

See I dont know how this sets us back to Grob levels. I mean we hire a good OC, keep some of the recruits and move on. The difference is that SS can coach where captain kangaroo could not.

I'm bummed because it seemed like it was headed in the right direction. The system was somewhat unique and was hard to defend (it may also be about Nassib, Lemon, Pugh, etc. more than system, but who knows?). I also love the QB recruits coming in. They seem like quality players and human beings. ZA did everything right and love(d?) 'Cuse. He bleed orange from the beginning. Tough life lesson? Sure. But also just kind of crappy. I have some hope one or both of them, plus Gus and/or Laray still come - based on keeping the hire within the staff. If they trust SS or he can persuade them that they will still run an exciting O, that may be enough to retain some or all.

I'm confident SS wants an offense like what we have had... He knows what O puts the most pressure on a D. They played against our O and by all accounts - Hack's O was born out of attacking SS's D.

I think there are a lot of fans that are nervous due to recent history. Stability tends to calm fears, whereas change/unknown tend to cause anxiety. Fans saw this program as approaching some stable/sustained success and now change and the unknown of what is about to happen are causing some people to freak out. I use FSU as en example, they are about to lose and replace 5 assistant coaches, yet their fans are not melting down. Why? Because they recognize that their program can sustain blow like that. Syracuse's last decade has shown that this football program is not at that level, so people are anxious. Also, schools like FSU, Alabama, etc. are used to losing coaches (vertical moves) due to that sustained success whereas Syracuse fans have become used to losing coaches due to failure not success. The loss of coaches due to failure you can pretty much see coming by the end of a season, loss of coaches due to success tend not to be foreseeable, thus people freak out because they weren't expecting this change. I really don't think it's about the quality of coaches that we are losing or the potential loss of recruits. I think it basically can be this: Fans are anxious the program will slide back down and unable to sustain a sudden change such that it is experiecing right now. And they may be right. Established/sustained success programs are better capable of enduring these types of sudden changes and can be argued are expected.

Hope all that makes sense...

Why would Diaco leave ND to come here? Lateral move, no? Or are you suggesting SU demote Shafer and install Diaco as HC?
im not saying demote, im saying say bye bye to shafer. pretty sure they thought they were getting a package deal, by keeping shafer and maybe bumping up hackets salary. thats gone.

lets just start from scratch with diaco.

and as bad as the jets day was yesterday, they can at least laugh that a hackett is now an OC in their division.

Oh Lord

We have to keep the recruits to keep this thing going. That is imperative. We need to hear the whole story here before I pass judgement, but it sounds like Shafer is the better HC candidate of the two. That was priority one. DG wanted to keep continuity, as did all of us, so that was the smart hire versus bringing some recycled guy. As for Hack, per the chat last night, this was a poach, and a last minute one at that. No chance SS and DG have Floyd calling recruits to say Hack is staying if he wasn't...at that time. It sucks losing Hack. Sucks. But if we can keep the recruits and SS commits to them that we will keep running the hurry up, then we can get past this...with a STRONG OC HIRE.

Personally, I want to know what DG knew, when he knew it, and if there was anything he could have done to prevent "the poach", aside from making Hack HC.

I think there are a lot of fans that are nervous due to recent history. Stability tends to calm fears, whereas change/unknown tend to cause anxiety. Fans saw this program as approaching some stable/sustained success and now change and the unknown of what is about to happen are causing some people to freak out. I use FSU as en example, they are about to lose and replace 5 assistant coaches, yet their fans are not melting down. Why? Because they recognize that their program can sustain blow like that. Syracuse's last decade has shown that this football program is not at that level, so people are anxious. Also, schools like FSU, Alabama, etc. are used to losing coaches (vertical moves) due to that sustained success whereas Syracuse fans have become used to losing coaches due to failure not success. The loss of coaches due to failure you can pretty much see coming by the end of a season, loss of coaches due to success tend not to be foreseeable, thus people freak out because they weren't expecting this change. I really don't think it's about the quality of coaches that we are losing or the potential loss of recruits. I think it basically can be this: Fans are anxious the program will slide back down and unable to sustain a sudden change such that it is experiecing right now. And they may be right. Established/sustained success programs are better capable of enduring these types of sudden changes and can be argued are expected.

Hope all that makes sense...

It does and this is where Dr. Gross first has to be the right guy to evaluate the correct hire as a HC and then SS to be the man that can evaluate the correct staff and choose the correct men to lead this team. So far, I have faith in both...I like the Dr. Gross hire of SS and I've liked the moves SS has made to improve his staff on the defensive side of the ball.

Are people more upset with the recruiting ramifications with Hackett leaving or the fact that we lost our offensive coordinator? I read a lot of posts last night and got a mixed bag. Curious as to what people are thinking. Or are you just bitter that DM took him?

As far as a coordinator goes, look there are other OC's out there who have both the experience and knowledge that NH has and its our job to go find that person.

If the recruits that people have mentioned are still committed to Syracuse then this is not as bad as we are all making it out to be.

Do we also know that DM approached NH or did Hackett approach DM about the position?
Much more concerned about the impact on the current recruiting class. Hackett had one good year which is not to say that he couldn't have continued coaching at a high level. But, there are plenty of guys out there who could do the job. I just don't want to lose the players slated to come in.

The system was somewhat unique and was hard to defend (it may also be about Nassib, Lemon, Pugh, etc. more than system, but who knows?). .

This right here. If people thought we were going to just plug in new players, run the same system and have the same results are out of their minds.

Oh Lord

I'm not sure TGD is that naive but it's possible. Like Marsh said there are other qualified OC's out there. I think we should be more concerned that we are going to have a new quarterback trying to fill Nassib's shoes. That scares me more than anything.

I think both are inter-connected, almost chicken or the egg!, that said, the possibility of losing some key recruits, not just the QB's, hurts. People wanted to slam Doug and his staff for not being able to recruit. I think they were doing a remarkable job recruiting here at Syracuse. It has been a slow, steady, upward trending process that can be disrupted and damaged easily at a place like this. Northeast football, New York State, bad weather, small, private university with reasonably high academic standards, soccer mom mentality around here as opposed to football is religion down south, and very recently being considered a joke of a BCS program, all add up to disaster. there is a very fine tipping point around these parts, and we are there, ready to go either way.

I liked Hackett. However, he was still coaching the same offense of the last three seasons until a couple weeks before the first game. He simplified the offense and sped it up, but if I recall, some players were confused and asked him to trim the playbook.

We can expect complexity from the pros who's sole focus football, with much more time for practice and analysis (study, film, etc.). College kids do have to attend classes (thankfully Syracuse is one school that mandates classroom performance as well as on field performance). Kids are allotted limited hours of practice and analysis of the game each week to ensure they have time for academics.

Though I would have preferred Hackett to stick around, he would only be here for a year or two until someone with deeper pockets picked him up. I'm not fully convinced the drop off will be as advertised by many posters on this site, too. Our system is streamlined and a good offensive minded coach should be able to step up. I would not be surprised if TW could step up as OC, he's smart, good with the kids and clearly an offensive minded guy. He has been around and knows the system well. He had great success as a player and as a pro. Guys like that often learn far more than we give them credit for. Is he ready? I don't know, I am only using him as an example. There are many more like him and I believe that we are in a good position. Especially now that TGD has announced that he is in line with ACC payrolls. SEC payrolls would be better, but one step at a time, guys.

Also - on a slightly positive note - having only Loeb with very little experience, means it's a fresh start with a new O and new QB. Could be ugly short-term - but if it's the right hire and the right QB (ZA or AW?!), it could be great long-term. Nassib/Hack steadily improved.

I think Shafer is the right guy for the job, he actually wants to be here I think as much if not more than Marrone did. He and his wife have been searching for a place for him to coach where they could settle down. He has also put in his dues at some very big programs with success.

What we need now is the promotion of Daoust to DC or have Shafer be head coach and DC. Then we need an OC with similar wide open philosophies to FHCDM/Hackett and another position coach. Both hires need to have recruiting ties in the Northeast and be great recruiters.

A big name Splash or up and coming Hot OC would be fantastic to put fans' minds at ease.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom