Opening day planning. Anything new? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Opening day planning. Anything new?

I went a couple times last year, and the crowds were solid. Not sure I was there two and a half hours before kick, though. It would be nice if they could get a giant outdoor TV to show games/college gameday, instead of the few 50" tv's streaming from laptops. Those are better than nothing, but there's room for improvement.
It’s gotten better each year.

To me you only walk the quad if you can fill it. If you don't think you can for the first game, then just do the "last mile" so to speak and get as many fans, students and band extended out from the dome entrance the players would walk into. That way you can frame a more raucous and crowded cheering path into the dome.
Edit: you would likely draw over more fans just arriving and seeing the crowd there at the entrance.

SUs in a tough spot with the quad walk. Most of the tailgating fanbase is spread out. To really get to a number of fans they would have to have them start out in the west lots which isn't realistic at all. I know some people will come in from the surrounding areas they are tailgating at to watch a quad walk but that's gonna be a real small%. 2 + hours before kick is prime tailgate time and as someone who tailgates in the west lot areas there's no way in hell I'm hiking up there for a quad walk.

SU seem to be trying to make a quad walk work and their putting in the effort which is great to see but I think it's gonna be an uphill battle once the novelty wears off after the first few games.

Last edited:
To make it work you need people who want to spend more time in that quad area.
A quad walk when I dont have 2 hrs of stuff to do wont work.

Maybe one time I go do it. But I can't get my crew to show up 2 hrs early to a game anymore.

Fran made the events team do a quad walk run through yesterday. Fran wasn't happy about the execution at the Spring Game. It's happening.
I hope he isn’t disappointed. The University has done a good job organizing a fun experience in the quad. But most fans aren’t there three hours early.

To make it work you need people who want to spend more time in that quad area.
A quad walk when I dont have 2 hrs of stuff to do wont work.

Maybe one time I go do it. But I can't get my crew to show up 2 hrs early to a game anymore.

I think the best way to make it work is to not charge Dome prices for alcohol out there. Of course, that's not going to happen, but it's the most likely way to get people up there. It's one thing to have to shell out $12 for a beer inside the Dome when you have no other options, but if I can stay at my tailgate and drink my own beer for significantly cheaper, what's the incentive to go up to the quad?

I think the best way to make it work is to not charge Dome prices for alcohol out there. Of course, that's not going to happen, but it's the most likely way to get people up there. It's one thing to have to shell out $12 for a beer inside the Dome when you have no other options, but if I can stay at my tailgate and drink my own beer for significantly cheaper, what's the incentive to go up to the quad?
As I said in an earlier post, I bring my own. I know not everyone wants to look like a dope lugging a plastic bag of beer up the hill, but I have little pride.

Slightly off topic. I have a parking pass for the first time. It's up at Manley. What time do the lots open? I could look it up, I suppose, but it's more fun talking to you folks.

Looks like they’re doing pretty much everything people wanted them too.
Yup. And more than that, I can say with reasonable certainty that there is not a disconnect between what Fran wants and what the university is willing to do, as was implied earlier in this thread. Enhancing fan engagement and the pre-game experience is very much a shared goal.

As an example, there are big plans for the Miron Victory Court addition. That large, new, enclosed area will allow access into the building pregame (but not into the Dome itself). My understanding is there will eventually be access to restrooms and food vendors once construction is finished. The target date for that is "late fall."

Last edited:
Hopefully they bump that up for the quad walk.

Maybe that was part of the point of contention? It'll cost the University more money to start running those shuttles 30-45 minutes earlier.

SAU seem to be trying to make a quad walk work and their putting in the effort which is great to see but I think it's gonna be an uphill battle once the novelty wears off after the first few games.

I'm glad they're trying to do it, but yeah, it's literally an uphill battle.

Forget the amount of people that don't even tailgate for a moment and will arrive after the walk.

Those that do tailgate aren't likely to leave Manley or Skytop, shuttle bus in to come watch the walk, go back to the tailgate. Those that do around campus aren't likely to walk up the hill, watch the walk, then go back to the tailgate.

Hopefully this does work though by increasing the amount of people attending the quad activities. We did it before the ND game in 2022, had a good time. But on these reunion weekends we're at worst alcoholics, at best functional drunks, so that cost adds up. Was easier for a noon game when already hungover.

I'm glad they're trying to do it, but yeah, it's literally an uphill battle.

Forget the amount of people that don't even tailgate for a moment and will arrive after the walk.

Those that do tailgate aren't likely to leave Manley or Skytop, shuttle bus in to come watch the walk, go back to the tailgate. Those that do around campus aren't likely to walk up the hill, watch the walk, then go back to the tailgate.

Hopefully this does work though by increasing the amount of people attending the quad activities. We did it before the ND game in 2022, had a good time. But on these reunion weekends we're at worst alcoholics, at best functional drunks, so that cost adds up. Was easier for a noon game when already hungover.

Yeah, I've been a few times, but it's generally only when I don't have enough time to tailgate, so I'll go up to the quad an hour before the game and have a beer or two. It's a good time, but I'll typically prefer tailgating, if given the option. Maybe I would think differently if I had kids old enough to go to a game with and wouldn't be spending 3 hours in a parking lot pregame with them.

Yeah. I called about that. That starts 2 hours before the game

Something isn't adding up if quad walk is 2:15.

(I'm calling them now)

Probably another point of contention alluded to before. It'll cost the university money to open concessions on the quad a half hour earlier, so there's probably pushback.

Probably another point of contention alluded to before. It'll cost the university money to open concessions on the quad a half hour earlier, so there's probably pushback.

I've confirmed the hospitality tent will open 2 hrs before kickoff.

Too bad they can't have them walk 2 blocks on Stadium Pl or Henry St, then loop them back up the hill on the bus. All kinds of tailgating around there, they'd get a great reception.

But the logistics would be a nightmare I assume.

Yup. And more than that, I can say with reasonable certainty that there is not a disconnect between what Fran wants and what the university is willing to do, as was implied earlier in this thread. Enhancing fan engagement and the pre-game experience is very much a shared goal.

As an example, there are big plans for the Miron Victory Court addition. That large, new, enclosed area will allow access into the building pregame (but not into the Dome itself). My understanding is there will eventually be access to restrooms and food vendors once construction is finished. The target date for that is "late fall."

Might not be now

But I know with 100% certainty there was at one point

New email just now...says Cuse on Quad opens three hours prior. And live music included.

The NYE Auto Quad Walk is your chance to join the Syracuse Spirit team and Pride of the Orange Syracuse Marching Band to welcome Syracuse Football to the game and cheer them on while they enter the JMA Wireless Dome. Approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes prior to kickoff the team will be dropped off and walk the above route past Hendricks Chapel and into the Dome. Each Quad Walk will have a collectible pin unique to that game, so make sure you’re there to be a part of the action every gameday!

New Restroom Options

A restroom trailer will be available for fans to utilize in front of H.B. Crouse Hall for the full Quad duration. In addition, for the first hour – prior to gates opening – fans can scan their ticket at Gate N and then return to the quad. Once gates are open two hours prior to kickoff, the no re-entry policy will be in effect.

SUs in a tough spot with the quad walk. Most of the tailgating fanbase is spread out. To really get to a number of fans they would have to have them start out in the west lots which isn't realistic at all. I know some people will come in from the surrounding areas they are tailgating at to watch a quad walk but that's gonna be a real small%. 2 + hours before kick is prime tailgate time and as someone who tailgates in the west lot areas there's no way in hell I'm hiking up there for a quad walk.

SU seem to be trying to make a quad walk work and their putting in the effort which is great to see but I think it's gonna be an uphill battle once the novelty wears off after the first few games.

One of the problems Syracuse has had is that when they try new things, they seldom stick with it long enough to tell if it could become a tradition. I remember the Fine Mess tailgate starting as ten guys standing around in a parking lot, but it built up over the years to what it is now. If it is a novelty which wears off by the end of the year, the likelihood it could go anywhere is low and they'd be right to axe it - I suspect it'll have pretty stable but low participation all year and Syracuse will give up rather than see if it can build some more next year.

To be fair, it was a lot "easier" to build up a tailgating group than the quad walk - its not like there was some huge cost associated with it that would have been saved if it stopped. The biggest problem with the quad walk is that Syracuse is probably going to incur more costs to run busses for 30-60 minutes more than they have spent historically - so I can totally see why they would pull the plug somewhat quicky if its not catching on. But I still think they've quit too quickly in the past.