Opening day planning. Anything new? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Opening day planning. Anything new?

My son and I will be in attendance as usual. We are Quad, and Marching Band kind of guys. Probably hurry into the Dome to take in the "newness" of it.
After the game, we are planning on Varsity for a quick slice (yeah right, just "one"), and band members standing on tables.

Is there anything new anyone has heard of that we should plan on? Is there officially a "QUAD WALK"? After the spring game quad walk let-down, I'm curious if a game-day version is in the plans?
The 'Cuse app has some intrigue. It appears fans can use their phones to participate in light shows in the dome. Could be quite cool for the beginning of the fourth quarter and even more so for the team entrance to the dome. I wonder if the app could be used for the quad walk to provide music for the team in lieu of the marching band?

One of the problems Syracuse has had is that when they try new things, they seldom stick with it long enough to tell if it could become a tradition. I remember the Fine Mess tailgate starting as ten guys standing around in a parking lot, but it built up over the years to what it is now. If it is a novelty which wears off by the end of the year, the likelihood it could go anywhere is low and they'd be right to axe it - I suspect it'll have pretty stable but low participation all year and Syracuse will give up rather than see if it can build some more next year.

To be fair, it was a lot "easier" to build up a tailgating group than the quad walk - its not like there was some huge cost associated with it that would have been saved if it stopped. The biggest problem with the quad walk is that Syracuse is probably going to incur more costs to run busses for 30-60 minutes more than they have spent historically - so I can totally see why they would pull the plug somewhat quicky if its not catching on. But I still think they've quit too quickly in the past.

I have a feeling they’ll be sticking through with this

This is a Coach Fran idea.

Remember the school USED to do this but previous coaching staff axed it, as they didn’t like it…..not the school

The 'Cuse app has some intrigue. It appears fans can use their phones to participate in light shows in the dome. Could be quite cool for the beginning of the fourth quarter and even more so for the team entrance to the dome. I wonder if the app could be used for the quad walk to provide music for the team in lieu of the marching band?

I am sure that as the quad walk becomes a regular thing they will integrate this. Especially for night games.

They are keeping the quad walk relatively simple, at least for the first few games to make sure that they nail it with plans to expand and make it even more of a spectacle in the future.

I have a feeling the shuttle bus will be rectified soon.

Could be wrong but I think they’ll start them earlier for this
As long as they continue running them throughout. We always take the shuttle and aren't going to miss our tailgate time. We'd walk if we had to.

Also, a note on the shuttle buses.

I think that was something that might have been overlooked in all of the planning.

However, I have on good authority that they are looking in to a solution for this.

Might not happen in week 1 but I am confident that Syracuse is aware of the issue and they are working to fix it.

This administration currently is doing everything they can to elevate the program and game day experience and I think everyone is really going to notice it week 1

FYI, If you want to use your phone to be part of the light show, I would get it set up before the game starts.

There are a few steps to the process. Not the kind of thing you want to do in the middle of a game.

You have to give your phone access to your camera and microphone. That kind of thing.

FYI, If you want to use your phone to be part of the light show, I would get it set up before the game starts.

There are a few steps to the process. Not the kind of thing you want to do in the middle of a game.

You have to give your phone access to your camera and microphone. That kind of thing.

Yes, it’s easy to do but a bit cumbersome

I hope that they post on their socials how to do it in the next day or two. That would be very helpful

Email from SU:

• All parking lots will open at 11:30am. Shuttles from Skytop, COLV and COML begin at 12:30 pm.

That's 3 hours before kickoff.

Quad walk at 1:15, right.

That is is correct

Think they just hadn’t thought of the shuttle aspect.

Once it was brought to their attention, they immediately went to work to correct it.

Honestly, thank you to this board for pointing it out or they wouldn’t have known.

Great job

"There will be a unique collectible pin available at each Quad Walk all season long."

I'm not telling anyone what to do, but this does seem like a fun way to start a "college tradition" that I've often heard is missing at SU, where many have said it's more like a pro game day environment in the Dome. Hope a lot of people participate.

IMG_1784.gif