'Cuse Activates ACCELERATE Program with Launch of NIL | Syracusefan.com

'Cuse Activates ACCELERATE Program with Launch of NIL

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

ACCELERATE is Syracuse University Athletics' official comprehensive Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) educational and empowerment program designed to assist student-athletes in the growth of their personal brand. The program will educate and enable all Orange student-athletes to leverage their name, image and likeness to elevate their personal brand, make a positive impact on their community, and capitalize on earning opportunities from these activities if they so choose.

The ACCELERATE program is designed to provide the necessary educational and implementation tools required to benefit from the modernized and recently updated NCAA Name, Image and Likeness legislation.

"Embracing Name, Image and Likeness opportunities and providing our student-athletes the necessary resources and support to capitalize on opportunities is another step in providing a best-in-class experience for our student-athletes," said Director of Athletics John Wildhack. "We are committed to preparing our student-athletes as leaders in every aspect of their lives. The ACCELERATE program will aid student-athletes in building and leveraging their brand through NIL opportunities."

1625160640352.png

Amateurism died when TV money started making decisions for football and basketball.
These players deserve to make money off their own likeness if they can.
If morons want to pay players to go to their school then good for them.

This is all going to get gross real quick. The handlers and bag men will multiply exponentially (now that their behavior is sanctioned). The play on the field will devolve further, with everyone trying to "get theirs" and raise their profile. The helicopter high school (and club) parents have even more to obsess over now that they aren't just competing for schollies and admissions preferences.

And the worst thing is that the kids, I don't care how big or strong, just aren't mentally equipped to deal with this. For sure, some kids are going to be rewarded for their talent, charisma, and hard work. But it's going to be a bumpy ride. I do not begrudge the kids for wanting this, and I applaud Syracuse for getting out in front on it.

This is all going to get gross real quick. The handlers and bag men will multiply exponentially (now that their behavior is sanctioned). The play on the field will devolve further, with everyone trying to "get theirs" and raise their profile. The helicopter high school (and club) parents have even more to obsess over now that they aren't just competing for schollies and admissions preferences.

And the worst things is that the kids, I don't care how big or strong, just aren't mentally equipped to deal with this. For sure, some kids are going to be rewarded for their talent, charisma, and hard work. But it's going to be a bumpy ride.
Lol GROSS that those kids are earning the money they deserve. GROSS.

You're such a child. I figured your cynicism would allow you to have a more nuanced take on this. I expected more from you, candidly.

NIL is great for the players, and well over do. however, the rich are going to get richer very quickly. Imagine how much a school like Alabama, Texas, or Ohio State can invest in a team of athletic department employees to help their players sign endorsement deals and profit of their name. This is a great step by Syracuse, but I'm sure we aren't the only school doing this.

NIL is great for the players, and well over do. however, the rich are going to get richer very quickly. Imagine how much a school like Alabama, Texas, or Ohio State can invest in a team of athletic department employees to help their players sign endorsement deals and profit of their name. This is a great step by Syracuse, but I'm sure we aren't the only school doing this.

Agreed but at least SU is getting out in front on this for a change instead of the fanbase screaming about it for months and SU coming out with something slapped together in December. From an SU standpoint this could benefit SU especially from a bball and Lax perspective, lots of businesses and groups would love to pay SU players to appear for autographs and meet and greets etc. Certainly going to be an uphill struggle against the elite schools but being a College area, SU players will have a lot of opportunities to make some $$$ under these new regulations.

The angle that interests me, and I think warrants more than an off-hand snarky dismissal, is the way that players will have a more immediate incentive to showcase themselves potentially at the expense of the team.

Was it Marcus Sales who reportedly had a bad practice ethic and didn't get as much game time as a result? Marrone was making a point about effort and all that? With NIL, is Marcus Sales going to hang out and wait his turn, or look elsewhere?

You're such a child. I figured your cynicism would allow you to have a more nuanced take on this. I expected more from you, candidly.
Here's the thing. The kids are already making the money from the bag men and the agents already. The dirty schools are already dirty. Now, everything is out in the open, there's more of a level playing field, and the truly huge instagram/tiktok stars will benefit from what they bring to the university.

If anything, this helps Syracuse moreso than it helps a Rutgers or a BC or a Pitt, because those schools are competing with pro teams in their areas, where SU dominates the landscape in upstate NY. Therefore, there's more local advertising money that goes around.

Not to mention, the first athletes to sign an NIL deal were women's basketball players. Which means the women's athletes are finally getting their piece of the pie.

There is NO downside here. Kids not being able to mentally handle it? Handle what?

Our small football fanbase might hurt us. A kid can get more follows and make more money with a larger fanbase. A coach at a mid level program (like NC State or Purdue) can negative recruit us based on our avg attendance.

ACCELERATE is Syracuse University Athletics' official comprehensive Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) educational and empowerment program designed to assist student-athletes in the growth of their personal brand. The program will educate and enable all Orange student-athletes to leverage their name, image and likeness to elevate their personal brand, make a positive impact on their community, and capitalize on earning opportunities from these activities if they so choose.

The ACCELERATE program is designed to provide the necessary educational and implementation tools required to benefit from the modernized and recently updated NCAA Name, Image and Likeness legislation.

"Embracing Name, Image and Likeness opportunities and providing our student-athletes the necessary resources and support to capitalize on opportunities is another step in providing a best-in-class experience for our student-athletes," said Director of Athletics John Wildhack. "We are committed to preparing our student-athletes as leaders in every aspect of their lives. The ACCELERATE program will aid student-athletes in building and leveraging their brand through NIL opportunities."

View attachment 203055
I think this is a great response by the SUAD and will be a model many other athletic departments attempt to emulate.

Here's the thing. The kids are already making the money from the bag men and the agents already. The dirty schools are already dirty. Now, everything is out in the open, there's more of a level playing field, and the truly huge instagram/tiktok stars will benefit from what they bring to the university.

If anything, this helps Syracuse moreso than it helps a Rutgers or a BC or a Pitt, because those schools are competing with pro teams in their areas, where SU dominates the landscape in upstate NY. Therefore, there's more local advertising money that goes around.

Not to mention, the first athletes to sign an NIL deal were women's basketball players. Which means the women's athletes are finally getting their piece of the pie.

There is NO downside here. Kids not being able to mentally handle it? Handle what?
No down side?

The angle that interests me, and I think warrants more than an off-hand snarky dismissal, is the way that players will have a more immediate incentive to showcase themselves potentially at the expense of the team.

Was it Marcus Sales who reportedly had a bad practice ethic and didn't get as much game time as a result? Marrone was making a point about effort and all that? With NIL, is Marcus Sales going to hang out and wait his turn, or look elsewhere?

I said this in the basketball thread, but coaches make many millions of dollars to manage their teams. I think they're the ones who are paid to worry about those issues.

Our small football fanbase might hurt us. A kid can get more follows and make more money with a larger fanbase. A coach at a mid level program (like NC State or Purdue) can negative recruit us based on our avg attendance.

I'm pretty sure teams recruit against our attendance already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom