'Cuse Activates ACCELERATE Program with Launch of NIL | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

'Cuse Activates ACCELERATE Program with Launch of NIL

Amateurism died when TV money started making decisions for football and basketball.
These players deserve to make money off their own likeness if they can.
If morons want to pay players to go to their school then good for them.
Amateurism ended with scholarships.

So what? This was happening already, and it hurt schools like SU who didn't have big pocketed boosters. Now, it's above board, and local businesses in need of pitch men & women can get an SU player for a few hundred bucks. See below:

Or, Adam Weitsman can buy 8,000 cameos from a recruit and convince them to come here. Spreading the money out evenly actually probably discourages boosters.

Fact of the matter is, if a booster wants to spend their money to bring in the best recruits, let them.

ive listened to enough ADs and coaches all say the same thing. They are all for NIL. For the way it is intended, which is not as a recruiting tool to bid on and buy players.

Calling Adam Weistsman. Bag us a 5* QB. Please and thank you.
The problem is our comp has Adam Weistsmans by the dozens

The most obvious example where this will ruling will get abused is when Phil Knight offers a Nike endorsement to the best athletes he can convince to come to Oregon. If you’re a middle of the road PAC 12 program, how is that fair? How do you compete with that? I get it, if a player deserves to get paid and can get the deal he should take it. But from my selfish perspective, I just want a somewhat level playing field and something to keep these factory schools in check. I just don’t see how this improves the competitiveness of college football.

One potential positive in my mind? I think you’ll see more kids possibly stay for their degree if they don’t have to worry as much about their personal situation financially.

They deserve to capitalize off their NIL. It’s a lot easier to head over to English class when you’re not worried about your family getting thrown out of their apartment.

If anything this incentivizes them to stay in school.

Caps on income doesn't sound very American.
Doesn’t the NBA have caps for rookie salary caps, don’t many pro leagues even have salary caps etc. I tried to tell my boss that the salary range for my position was unamerican - why didn’t it work for me? :p

Doesn’t the NBA have caps for rookie salary caps, don’t many pro leagues even have salary caps etc. I tried to tell my boss that the salary range for my position was unamerican - why didn’t it work for me? :p

The schools aren’t the ones paying them. I don’t think there’s an endorsement salary cap.

The most obvious example where this will ruling will get abused is when Phil Knight offers a Nike endorsement to the best athletes he can convince to come to Oregon. If you’re a middle of the road PAC 12 program, how is that fair? How do you compete with that? I get it, if a player deserves to get paid and can get the deal he should take it. But from my selfish perspective, I just want a somewhat level playing field and something to keep these factory schools in check. I just don’t see how this improves the competitiveness of college football.
But that's the thing, is Nike going to spend millions and millions of dollars on endorsing athletes that may or may not work out? Sure, a kid like Dior or Bronny Jr. and I could see it happening, but how about a random 3 star OT? And what's to stop boosters at other schools from offering the same?

The financials don't make sense. There's not going to be an influx of million dollar deals. It's going to be $500 here, maybe $5-10k there, but I find it hard to believe that someone like Phil Knight is going to suddenly start giving every kid that comes to Oregon a bag.

But that's the thing, is Nike going to spend millions and millions of dollars on endorsing athletes that may or may not work out? Sure, a kid like Dior or Bronny Jr. and I could see it happening, but how about a random 3 star OT? And what's to stop boosters at other schools from offering the same?

The financials don't make sense. There's not going to be an influx of million dollar deals. It's going to be $500 here, maybe $5-10k there, but I find it hard to believe that someone like Phil Knight is going to suddenly start giving every kid that comes to Oregon a bag.

Yep and Nike is still a business, they're only going to invest in the recruits that are going to help their own bottom line.

So what? This was happening already, and it hurt schools like SU who didn't have big pocketed boosters. Now, it's above board, and local businesses in need of pitch men & women can get an SU player for a few hundred bucks. See below:

Or, Adam Weitsman can buy 8,000 cameos from a recruit and convince them to come here. Spreading the money out evenly actually probably discourages boosters.

Fact of the matter is, if a booster wants to spend their money to bring in the best recruits, let them.
I’m interested to see how this might impact the dynamic some mega boosters have at factory programs.

I’m sure there will always be SEC boosters willing to pony up to buy out a coach they dislike. But I wonder if this changes as more cash is channeled toward talent acquisition.

I look forward to seeing if NIL helping to funnel cash directly to players will reduce boosters ability to dictate to ADs.

Fascinating times ahead.

Like you said, they won’t target 3 star athletes, isn’t that the point? As you said it will be the top stars, who will help line their own pockets. Isn’t that the advantage? Again like you said, Phil Knight won’t start giving big $ to every athlete, only the ones who will make a huge difference in their programs. With the transfer portal, they can target athletes who blow up in other programs too.

One potential positive in my mind? I think you’ll see more kids possibly stay for their degree if they don’t have to worry as much about their personal situation financially.

They deserve to capitalize off their NIL. It’s a lot easier to head over to English class when you’re not worried about your family getting thrown out of their apartment.

If anything this incentivizes them to stay in school.
Well put. We have had kids living out of hotels. Eventually things will hopefully settle.

Our small football fanbase might hurt us. A kid can get more follows and make more money with a larger fanbase. A coach at a mid level program (like NC State or Purdue) can negative recruit us based on our avg attendance.
Ahem I have an easy answer to that…. Win just win.. su football is a ticking time bomb soon as we can show we can win & be competitive with stability the flood gates will open for football … our last bowl game is a perfect example of that.

Yeah I agree more I think about this whole thing. To me the super duper star of college basketball (think Carmelo, Durant, etc) would they be better off signing a MASSIVE NIL in college and having the marketing thrust of a blue blood college behind them vs getting drafted to a lesser ran NBA team?

I just wonder where the delta ultimately shrinkens in this market environment. I'm talking post 2003 run, how much is Melo worth to Nike if he stays at Syracuse and plays another few years. I gotta think in the multi multi millions vs going to Denver Nuggets? I think the pro contracts accelerate so much that getting to the NBA and getting to your second deal probably is the big concern to this but maybe the CBA in the NBA changes too?

Ahem I have an easy answer to that…. Win just win.. su football is a ticking time bomb soon as we can show we can win & be competitive with stability the flood gates will open for football … our last bowl game is a perfect example of that.
Even with a full house we are well below P5 average. Not winning issue but size

Hough is selling self-branded Tshirts. They have it together.
No we dont. The kids might but the school other than providing some educational courses needs to become more involved. Other schools are co oping the NIL in a way that stays within the rules but provides a bridge to the advertiser. SU needs to make a more concentrated effort to get out in front of this. Its possible that after the alliance is formed that the governance provided will provide a blue print that ACC Big and Pac schools will adhere to and follow. Hopefully that will be one of the outcomes.

No we dont. The kids might but the school other than providing some educational courses needs to become more involved. Other schools are co oping the NIL in a way that stays within the rules but provides a bridge to the advertiser. SU needs to make a more concentrated effort to get out in front of this. Its possible that after the alliance is formed that the governance provided will provide a blue print that ACC Big and Pac schools will adhere to and follow. Hopefully that will be one of the outcomes.
You're just saying words, my man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom