'Cuse Activates ACCELERATE Program with Launch of NIL | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

'Cuse Activates ACCELERATE Program with Launch of NIL

Some of our athletes already have large deals. Larger than what high performers in CNY make in a 5-yr. period.

We’re doing fine. It’s going to be a learning process, and everybody up there in the A.D. knows it’s the ticket. Future is now, a lot of business people locally are eager to be more involved.

Some of our athletes already have large deals. Larger than what high performers in CNY make in a 5-yr. period.

We’re doing fine. It’s going to be a learning process, and everybody up there in the A.D. knows it’s the ticket. Future is now, a lot of business people locally are eager to be more involved.

Yup. From a marketing ROI perspective, I think businesses will learn VERY quickly that college athletes, with their followings, will deliver strong returns on their dollars, especially in local markets like Syracuse. A good CMO will quickly realize that.

do most college teams have strong rabid followers to create ROI for this? You really think there is any value in CNY for things like this? Sure you have some fans who might buy product like a shirt/jersey but when you buy a pro product you usually are thinking yrs of return. In college bball it might be 1 in CFF by the time you think a guy might be good it might be 1-2.. Are most SU fans buying those new jerseys every yr or 2? I am more likely to buy a generic SU jersey than any players jersey. But go crazy say TD lights it up this yr. how many would he sell up here a few hundred of a $100 jersey whats his cut $5-10 per? is everyone rushing out to buy stuff that JB promotes?

do most college teams have strong rabid followers to create ROI for this? You really think there is any value in CNY for things like this? Sure you have some fans who might buy product like a shirt/jersey but when you buy a pro product you usually are thinking yrs of return. In college bball it might be 1 in CFF by the time you think a guy might be good it might be 1-2.. Are most SU fans buying those new jerseys every yr or 2? I am more likely to buy a generic SU jersey than any players jersey. But go crazy say TD lights it up this yr. how many would he sell up here a few hundred of a $100 jersey whats his cut $5-10 per? is everyone rushing out to buy stuff that JB promotes?
I wasn't viewing it in terms of licensing merchandise, more in leveraging an athlete's following for sponsored posts and content. Eyeballs cost money. A college athlete will cost a lot less than a pro athlete but many have huge followings, which are concentrated in local areas that certain businesses will want to target. Same with sponsoring / endorsing products. From a pure ROI perspective, I think the returns will be there compared to other sponsored content. There are lots of websites / firms that exist to connect influencers and celebrities with businesses.

Last edited:
alot of marketing classes will tell you that the value of all this eyeballs in real dollars is pretty much zero.. but if it provides value to someone great. this site has ads of which there is no value to me, But I am sure someone occasionally clicks on one. no different than people now barely watch any ads on tv if they can avoid it and the ones they do watch its for entertainment not to actually use/buy the product.

Seriously? We’re the t-shirt kings. Locals will gobble up better product.

Seriously? We’re the t-shirt kings. Locals will gobble up better product.
locals.. you have the city area market and then you have fans around the area an hr or 2 out.

yea there is a market but how big and how many shirts is any one person gonna buy? you have one marathon 7 OT game and it sold 10K of shirts. now you have 2-300 players selling shirts? my kid in HS yeah he wanted a shirt to wear to school for some of these things.. now out of college no market for him. working from home so why do i need a shirt, no one to talk to about it anymore.

how many shirts has Buddy sold I wonder?

alot of marketing classes will tell you that the value of all this eyeballs in real dollars is pretty much zero.. but if it provides value to someone great. this site has ads of which there is no value to me, But I am sure someone occasionally clicks on one. no different than people now barely watch any ads on tv if they can avoid it and the ones they do watch its for entertainment not to actually use/buy the product.
digital display ads have a very low industry average return for a reason. you pay for quantity and hope you convert a very tiny percentage into click through's. People also have lots of ad blocking tools and are good at avoiding them.

On the flip side, direct promoted content (endorsed by an athlete, celebrity, etc is totally different than digital display ads. Social selling is a huge growth area for a lot of CPGs -- it's why companies have spent a lot on influencer deals and why companies try to leverage brand ambassadors to sell products directly. I view college athletes as a cheaper area here that's more targeted to a specific area. I think some smart businesses in CNY area could do very well.

No we dont. The kids might but the school other than providing some educational courses needs to become more involved. Other schools are co oping the NIL in a way that stays within the rules but provides a bridge to the advertiser. SU needs to make a more concentrated effort to get out in front of this. Its possible that after the alliance is formed that the governance provided will provide a blue print that ACC Big and Pac schools will adhere to and follow. Hopefully that will be one of the outcomes.

The school needed to essentially put together Ari Gold's agency from scratch to create opportunities for kids to make money.

The fact they are trying to teach these kids how to do it by themselves is a total choke job.

It cost us our best recruit in basketball who was already committed. How many other guys are going elsewhere because we aren't even trying to make them money?

digital display ads have a very low industry average return for a reason. you pay for quantity and hope you convert a very tiny percentage into click through's. People also have lots of ad blocking tools and are good at avoiding them.

On the flip side, direct promoted content (endorsed by an athlete, celebrity, etc is totally different than digital display ads. Social selling is a huge growth area for a lot of CPGs -- it's why companies have spent a lot on influencer deals and why companies try to leverage brand ambassadors to sell products directly. I view college athletes as a cheaper area here that's more targeted to a specific area. I think some smart businesses in CNY area could do very well.
Yup, a guy like Josh Black with his freakish measurements (6’4 270 with 10% bf) and crazy athletic feats on social media would be an instant return for a company like ROGUE or some of the second tier athletic fashion brands or supplement brands.

I bet a lot of the retail stores you think are national are actually franchises as well so many of the local vitamin stores or gyms or other related franchise retailers would get a great return. Lotta options on the direct promoted content circuit, even in a market like Cuse

The school needed to essentially put together Ari Gold's agency from scratch to create opportunities for kids to make money.

The fact they are trying to teach these kids how to do it by themselves is a total choke job.

It cost us our best recruit in basketball who was already committed. How many other guys are going elsewhere because we aren't even trying to make them money?
One of the few things that the NCAA has actually issued rules on. The school cannot act as an agent or guarantee NIL opportunities. The school CAN promote co-marketing oportunities with the S-A and Syracuse is the only Power 5 school that has launched initiatives like that. (Michigan and Texas will be the next two) If you don't think Syracuse is on the leading edge of NIL watch out for an upcoming article is SI. And don't believe everything you read at face value about other schools. Do a little digging on the Miami gym owner's offer and it may open your eyes. There is a right way and a wrong way to support NIL and Syracuse is one of the few that is optimizing the right way approach.

One of the few things that the NCAA has actually issued rules on. The school cannot act as an agent or guarantee NIL opportunities. The school CAN promote co-marketing oportunities with the S-A and Syracuse is the only Power 5 school that has launched initiatives like that. (Michigan and Texas will be the next two) If you don't think Syracuse is on the leading edge of NIL watch out for an upcoming article is SI. And don't believe everything you read at face value about other schools. Do a little digging on the Miami gym owner's offer and it may open your eyes. There is a right way and a wrong way to support NIL and Syracuse is one of the few that is optimizing the right way approach.

Fair enough... I'm willing to accept I'm incorrect.

Especially in the "schools can't be agents" area. It sure sounds like other schools are offering that type of service to Kamari Lands. I don't think he got scared off by Quadir Copeland committing.

Once money becomes legal at all, the gray areas get big enough to drive an Alabama sized truck through. I hope Syracuse doesn't get crushed due to inactivity.

Unintended consequences; as with every decision and action taken they will occur.

None of us can predict what these will be and how they will impact college sports and the lives of student athletes.

Some of these might benefit the greater good; one example might be a deserving local non profit might help their fundraising through partnering with a student athlete who favors their cause.

Another might be that one student creates a business and uses a student athlete to help promote that business.

Still a third might be that a local startup, with a great business concept, might be able to expand to the locality where the student athlete is from.

Yes, unintended consequences could also cause harm. This genie is out of the bottle; only time will report out the long term results.

As a Cuse centric fan-site; let’s hope our young Orange’s squeeze out juice that benefits our sports brand and community .

Go Orange!

52BA7342-CB9C-43BE-894C-440AC2E1F48D.gif

That Miami Gym deal is pretty scary since kids signed it not realizing how bad a deal it was.

Every Syracuse player whose image appeared in this ad was well compensated. The AD and hoops coaches made sure of it. I know this directly from one of those compensated. I believe our AD is on top of this if not ahead of it, but I also hope it starts bearing fruit. Things like an SI article referenced above by Consigliere will help stem the tide and expose the reality to the recruits, but that can't come fast enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom