'Cuse Activates ACCELERATE Program with Launch of NIL | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

'Cuse Activates ACCELERATE Program with Launch of NIL

Elaborate then and let us know how our players are ACCELERATING! with NIL. I know Buddy is peddling Cheerios and signing autographs at a mall.

The kid has more value than that between his name and his basketball skill, if he isn’t earning what he should, what’s the next step?
Well I’m not gonna act like I’m super tapped in to everything going on with NIL...but that’s my point, I’m not acting like I have it all figured out. We are in the very beginning of NIL for college athletes, so I’m not sure how some of you seem to be qualified to accuse the athletic department for not doing enough, 2 months into it. Anyway it seems Buddy has had more than a few opportunities already, to make a little money for himself. Joe seems like he has had a few opportunities as well.

Bees mentioned the ACC hasn’t had much happening with NIL...but I haven’t seen a whole lot for all of college basketball in general. So why don’t we wait until the season starts and for college basketball to become relevant for marketing purposes, before we start making baseless accusations about how we’re not doing things right...or not, I know it’s a favorite hobby for some of the people on the board.

Well I’m not gonna act like I’m super tapped in to everything going on with NIL...but that’s my point, I’m not acting like I have it all figured out. We are in the very beginning of NIL for college athletes, so I’m not sure how some of you seem to be qualified to accuse the athletic department for not doing enough, 2 months into it. Anyway it seems Buddy has had more than a few opportunities already, to make a little money for himself. Joe seems like he has had a few opportunities as well.

Bees mentioned the ACC hasn’t had much happening with NIL...but I haven’t seen a whole lot for all of college basketball in general. So why don’t we wait until the season starts and for college basketball to become relevant for marketing purposes, before we start making baseless accusations about how we’re not doing things right...or not, I know it’s a favorite hobby for some of the people on the board.
Duke seems to be doing fine. This among others.

did you read the article? That’s a restaurant not some big money. And I bet it’s not Duke getting them the deal since they are working with multiple athletes in NC, most who don’t go to Duke.
You’re moving goalposts now.

You’re moving goalposts now.

I am? You keep mocking the deals SU players have gotten so far and acting like SU is doing nothing. Then you use a network deal with all players in conference as another shot at whats SU doing. Now you point to a restaurant which again isn’t something Duke did and isn’t some big money.

I am? You keep mocking the deals SU players have gotten so far and acting like SU is doing nothing. Then you use a network deal with all players in conference as another shot at whats SU doing. Now you point to a restaurant which again isn’t something Duke did and isn’t some big money.
My biggest thought all along is will existing advertisers, like Bojangles or the shoe guys, shift money they are already spending on the schools or conferences, and give it directly to the players. Or will the NIL attract "new" money from those type of companies or more importantly booster like people like the Weitsmans of the world.

Agree I did some googling and there isn't much publicity on the basketball front for any major deals that I could find. A few guys have done deals with the Players Trunk like Buddy did. 75 athletes did get the Bojangles deal. It's probably ok money, but I can't imagine it's huge like you say.

It seems like mostly football players and attractive female athletes with big social media followings are cashing in the most. (Not trying to be sexist, just honest)

Last edited:
Well, I mocked the names of ACCELERATE and (especially) INFLCR, because they’re... bad, especially for entities that are designed to assist with creating ‘brands’ for these athletes. Other than that, I’ve asked what I think are obvious questions about what we are doing, and not seen any answers other than ‘we know but we’re not gonna tell,’ or ‘it’s all out there.’ But, when I re-read two NIL threads, I saw nothing specific. If people here have some sort of personal involvement with ACCELERATE, sorry for the criticism. If not, I don’t understand the defensiveness.

We have one very specific example of having lost a high value recruit because he says NIL wasn’t involved in his initial recruitment, which fits the timeline, but then I wonder if anything was done toward retention of his commitment. And what’s going on now, when he and our other priority recruits seem like they‘re more interested in non-elite college destinations, ostensibly because of the promise of bigger NIL opportunities.

I fully acknowledge a lot of that is speculation, but so is the entirety of the recruiting game. I know there may not be a lot of solid answers, but I would hope that, as a community, some of us would recognize that not everyone here is as plugged-in, and that some of us have only the scantest interest in NIL, but a ‘medium’ level interest in recruiting, and that there’s an unfortunate Venn collision between the two, and we can only go by/ask questions about what we see and don’t see. And lastly, that no offense to individuals is meant by ‘jokes’ about these organizations, and critique is sometimes meant for constructive purposes. And now I need a drink of water.

Wegmans has pretty much a whole isle in their specialty foods section dedicated to Three Swishes cereal. I don't know if the population of Fayetteville can make Buddy's endorsement worthwhile for them, but they seem to be trying.

Well, I mocked the names of ACCELERATE and (especially) INFLCR, because they’re... bad, especially for entities that are designed to assist with creating ‘brands’ for these athletes. Other than that, I’ve asked what I think are obvious questions about what we are doing, and not seen any answers other than ‘we know but we’re not gonna tell,’ or ‘it’s all out there.’ But, when I re-read two NIL threads, I saw nothing specific. If people here have some sort of personal involvement with ACCELERATE, sorry for the criticism. If not, I don’t understand the defensiveness.

We have one very specific example of having lost a high value recruit because he says NIL wasn’t involved in his initial recruitment, which fits the timeline, but then I wonder if anything was done toward retention of his commitment. And what’s going on now, when he and our other priority recruits seem like they‘re more interested in non-elite college destinations, ostensibly because of the promise of bigger NIL opportunities.

I fully acknowledge a lot of that is speculation, but so is the entirety of the recruiting game. I know there may not be a lot of solid answers, but I would hope that, as a community, some of us would recognize that not everyone here is as plugged-in, and that some of us have only the scantest interest in NIL, but a ‘medium’ level interest in recruiting, and that there’s an unfortunate Venn collision between the two, and we can only go by/ask questions about what we see and don’t see. And lastly, that no offense to individuals is meant by ‘jokes’ about these organizations, and critique is sometimes meant for constructive purposes. And now I need a drink of water.

besides what’s in this thread, there’s tidbits in other threads. But the thread below has more detail if you read through every post.

Thread 'Gonzaga/NIL'
Gonzaga/NIL

besides what’s in this thread, there’s tidbits in other threads. But the thread below has more detail if you read through every post.

Thread 'Gonzaga/NIL'
Gonzaga/NIL
Thanks.

Well, i'm kinda disgusted. It's not about whether college athletes have values beyond scholarships. It would be cool if the NCAA had given all scholarship athletes $500/month before this NIL thing. Isolated, contained, regulated. But, when the competition is going to be so blatantly and legitimately bought and sold by private and commercial interests, it leaves me without any affection for the sport. At least we have salary caps in the professional games, and drafts to contribute toward balance. But, the allure of college sports, for me, was that it was 'amateur,' and the participants weren't so far removed from us as students. I haven't adopted other college teams as 'favorites' since before i went to SU, not because i didn't admire some of their players or because i didn't like their style of play—the types of criteria i use with professional sports. I am inextricably attached to SU because of a bond of commonality. That's about to be broken. Can't blame the players. It's just the way of the world, and unfortunately, my interest and commitment will eventually be a casualty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom