Cuse at Albany soon ? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cuse at Albany soon ?

Sounds like the move to the FB stadium is only temporary while they replace the turf at the LAX stadium.

they'd play the Cuse game at the football stadium for sure. Casey doesn't have a lot of seating.

It's just a matter of time before an ACC team gets burned and doesn't make the tourney because the league only has 5 teams.

It's certainly possible but if an ACC team is on the bubble like UNC was last year and they win the conf tourney there going to get in 99% of the time.

5 blue-blood teams would all need to collapse at the same time (i.e., lose all their OOC games) in order for the ACC not to make the tournament. 0.01% chance of that happening.
I was alluding to the lack of an AQ because of only 5 teams. ACC conference champ is not AQ.

Utah, Denver and AF to the Pac12.

Only a matter of time. :p

If another school or two picks up the sport it would make a ton of sense for them to form a conference. Denver especially would probably be thrilled to do that.

That would be an interesting decision by the ACC but probably doesn't make much sense from the ACC perspective. ACC, Denver and B10 teams are already getting most west coast D1 players and outside of getting to 6 teams (it would be nice) its hard to see what they would actually add to the conference. Its probably going to take Utah a minimum of 5 year to get respectable and in the meantime the ACC's SOS and RPI numbers will take a hit while schools have to fly across the country to blow a team out. I think if you were talking about an SEC team starting a prorgram it would make sense but in this case this screams of Utah using the ACC to build themselves into a decent program to watch them bolt to form some west coast centric league in a decade or so.
Just going with it, belonging to the ACC could shorten the time to respectability. We might even lose some of those West coast players.

Just going with it, belonging to the ACC could shorten the time to respectability. We might even lose some of those West coast players.

Right, which is why there isn't much benefit from the ACC's standpoint in adding them. I think Utah's path to get to respectability maybe tougher then they think. Michigan came in with pretty much every prerequisite when they moved up from a club team and 5 years later they are still struggling.

I was alluding to the lack of an AQ because of only 5 teams. ACC conference champ is not AQ.
I get it. I was just responding to your post that said, "It's just a matter of time before an ACC gets burned and doesn't make the tourney because the league only has 5 teams." I see you changed the wording, so that makes more sense. Sure, it could happen, and I hope it doesn't happen to us. I just think that if the league has 4 (for example) teams eligible, more often than not those 4 teams are getting in.

ACC Conference champ will be ranked Top 5.

No worries.
That knocks the lowest team out because they are all vying for at large bids. Every year the ACC has to get all at large bids and the other leagues are going to burn somebody.

That knocks the lowest team out because they are all vying for at large bids. Every year the ACC has to get all at large bids and the other leagues are going to burn somebody.

The ACC will get at least 3 teams in every year. Sometimes 4.

Sometimes all 5 teams aren't worthy.

The ACC will get at least 3 teams in every year. Sometimes 4.

Sometimes all 5 teams aren't worthy.
Sure. But however many they get in, it all comes from the at large spots. As these other leagues get better and deeper , the ACC will lose a team every year.

Sure. But however many they get in, it all comes from the at large spots. As these other leagues get better and deeper , the ACC will lose a team every year.

Roy Simmons IV will be the head coach here before the ACC becomes a 1 bid league.

I don't think you get my argument.
No, he does. The argument that someone will get screwed doesn't really hold a lot of water. If the league had 6 teams, the AQ just would reduce the number of at-large bids by one. Left-hand, right-hand. The ACC champ is always getting in. Just because the ACC added a 6th team, wouldn't mean the NCAA would add one more team to the tournament.

No, he does. The argument that someone will get screwed doesn't really hold a lot of water. If the league had 6 teams, the AQ just would reduce the number of at-large bids by one. Left-hand, right-hand. The ACC champ is always getting in. Just because the ACC added a 6th team, wouldn't mean the NCAA would add one more team to the tournament.
The AQ isn't considered. Just that the ACC needs one less at large.

The AQ isn't considered. Just that the ACC needs one less at large.
Yes, it is. If you give another league an AQ bid, there is one less at-large bid. If the same number of teams get in, what the heck does it matter?

Yes, it is. If you give another league an AQ bid, there is one less at-large bid. If the same number of teams get in, what the heck does it matter?
It's an accounting trick. Like cash back when you buy a car. But really I'm excited about the Syracuse/Albany game/budding rivalry.

The matchup has been a made for TV game the last half decade and ESPN has shown it couldn't care less. Albany still has a way to go to move the needle nationally despite Marr doing a hell of a job. Will it happen probably but I wouldn't say its a definite as there are a lot of moving parts right now with the ACC schedule, the ACC conference tourney change, and SU playing around with the OOC.
People are forgetting that it could happen this season. UAlbany hosted UNC last year in the NCAA bracket. This year they should be higher ranked. Depends on how Cuse's season goes.

Right, which is why there isn't much benefit from the ACC's standpoint in adding them. I think Utah's path to get to respectability maybe tougher then they think. Michigan came in with pretty much every prerequisite when they moved up from a club team and 5 years later they are still struggling.
Michigan’s biggest mistake was bringing their club coach when they went Varsity. That move set them back 5 years. Utah has a coaching staff with cache. Holman was assistant at UNC and Hopkins plus his assistants are young pro players with name recognition. They are also a UA team which will help in lacrosse world. You don’t think UA pushes their schools (MD, ND, now Hop) at the UA games?

Albany is not going to the ACC - they are a perfect fit for the America East conference in all sports. But Syracuse playing a game or two in Albany makes all the sense in the world - why wouldn't you want to showcase your program in that part of the state? I'd take a Kyle Marr or another Lucas Quinn on my team in a heartbeat. Not to mention the fact that it's a great place to watch a game - went to the Maryland game there last year and it was a blast. Tailgating in the parking lot in front of the stadium and a crowd that is really into it outdoors under the lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom