Cuse Drug Consequences... | Syracusefan.com

Cuse Drug Consequences...

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
Now I know we don't know the whole story here, but what do people think the final result from this will be?

I'm guessing probation and loss of a scholarship or two.

But people around here are talking like this is the death penalty.

Thoughts?

I just can't see the punishment being too severe. I think probation would be appropriate because we self-reported the issue.

The story will fade like dust in the wind as the media targets their next witch to hunt.

No WAY IN HELL probation. This will die down after we win or lose in the NCAA Tourney

This is muchtodoaboutnutin

I just can't see the punishment being too severe. I think probation would be appropriate because we self-reported the issue.

Probation seems severe doesn't it? Are you talking about NCAA probation?

Maybe a schollie, which is very fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if a player was determined to have been ineligible, then certainly vacating a few wins

if it can be argued successfully that this was an honest oversight, then nothing further

if it is determined that SUAD willfully overlooked and played an ineligible player, then severe penalties (loss of scholarships and more than one year of probation)

I think the latter will be very difficult to prove, so I would bet on the former

if a player was determined to have been ineligible, then certainly vacating a few wins

if it can be argued successfully that this was an honest oversight, then nothing further

if it is determined that SUAD willfully overlooked and played an ineligible player, then severe penalties (loss of scholarships and more than one year of probation)

I think the latter will be very difficult to prove, so I would bet on the former

i would bet a lot of money there will be 0 wins being vacated.

otherwise we need to be very afraid of 1. and im not, you arent, jim isnt, darryl isnt, nancy isnt, pat isnt, dick isnt.

Now I know we don't know the whole story here, but what do people think the final result from this will be?

I think the biggest fallout will be to our already damaged reputation. That could translate to opposing coaches telling recruits' moms "you don't want your son to go to Syracuse, what with the child molestation, drugs, and possible NCAA sanctions. Why chance any of that when you can go to MY school instead."

Vacating a few wins from non-NC years would be gravy compared to that.

The story will fade like dust in the wind as the media targets their next witch to hunt.

You're talking media attention. The question is the NCAA, which if it was no big deal (and I'm not saying it is a huge deal), the NCAA wouldn't be investigating.

You're talking media attention. The question is the NCAA, which if it was no big deal (and I'm not saying it is a huge deal), the NCAA wouldn't be investigating.
the ncaa looks in to things all the time. The thing is, most times those things they look in to, don't make the news. We have been through worse than this, this year alone. Maybe we lose a ship.

Wouldn't the outcome depend on what actually transpired? Until we know (if we ever will know), how do we speculate on a punishment? I doubt SU will say what they recommended to the NCAA.

Which is why I'm so worried about this.

Thoughts?
Higgins and Burr for every game next year.

Big or small deal, doest matter...the reason they are investigating is bc we reported the issues and there was obviously an infraction

Big or small deal, doest matter...the reason they are investigating is bc we reported the issues and there was obviously an infraction

Exactly. The media may stop talking about it soon, but that doesn't end it and it "goes away".

If our program was as out-of-control as Forde and Robinson claim, and Manley was essentially serving as JB's crack house, how come Billy Edelin spent so much time suspended for "undisclosed personal reasons?"

From orangehoops.org:

"Edelin became the starting point guard his sophomore year. He was having a steady season, including a career high 28 points, 9 rebounds, 9 assists against Canisius that year. He had an excellent assist to turnover ratio, learning to protect the ball well. Unfortunately, his season fell apart on February 10th when he missed a game because of undisclosed personal reasons. He would end up missing the remainder of the season.

Because of his missed school time in the spring of 2004, Edelin was forced to miss the early part of the 2004-2005 season to catch up on his school work. He finally returned to action on December 1, 2004. He had worked his way back into the starting lineup, starting three straight games when he again suddenly missed a game February 23 against St. John's due to personal reasons (undisclosed to the public). Edelin would never play again that season, and would never play for the Orange again. The loss of Edelin surely hurt a team that was lacking in experienced depth at the guard position."

I remember a lot of speculation at the time revolved around mental health issues. Might these have manifested themselves as drug dependency? But Forde and Friends imply rampant drug use was intentionally ignored.

This is whats been bothering me. We wouldn't report anything to the NCAA unless we had at least one "infraction". Thought I'd read at least most of these threads but haven't heard anyone say exactly what we reported. Even though I'm sure I won't get an answer, does anyone know?

I say the consequences are embarrassment and lots of sanctimonious b.s. articles from all of the various news sites, until the next thing comes down the pike to distract them.

I don't see how the NCAA can take away wins? We played a player that was "ineligible" by our definition (per Yahoo's reading of our drug policy), not the NCAA's definition of ineligible. Given that it was our definition doesn't the fact that the players played mean we chose not to make them ineligible. It's not like academic ineligibility where the NCAA has set a standard that must be met that wasn't. If Duke decided it was going to upgrade is holier than thou image and require all of its players to maintain a 3.0 in order to be eligible and K's favorite player Mason Plumlee pulled a 2.7 would he be ineligible and would it be some sort of violation to play him? I think not. How is this different?

And how is this an "infraction"? An infraction is typically understood to be a violation of NCAA rules. There are no NCAA rules on this subject. They don't require you to have a policy and as far as I have heard they don't have rules about what to do with a player that is believed to have taken drugs....until he tests positive under the system of testing that the NCAA imposes on participants in its championships.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom