Cuse - Nova gamethread | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Cuse - Nova gamethread

What game were you watching? They made three of four games down the stretch, Nova made a big three, SU got fouled and it wasn't called and Nova made the last shot. Both teams did what they needed to do, and the refs f*cked SU over.

He's correct about the defense at least. Allowing Nova to get layups within 4-5 seconds TWICE, and then giving up another quick 3 down the stretch was inexcusable. The refs screwed us, but we completely blew it defensively in the last 25 seconds.

Arciciadono and Ennis had 9 fouls
Christmas, McCullough and Gbinijie had 15
Pinkston and Ochefu had 3

All we had to do was inbound the ball at the end of regulation and we probably win. You can wine all you want about the officials, but that was on us. Christmas has to catch that pass and not be a wuss. This loss will probably be a reason we don't make the NCAA tournament. This was on us and we blew the game. Silent G's stupid TO when he could have inbounded the ball to Cooney was another bonehead play. Don't blame the freshmen. Those two big plays were NOT made by veterans.

How would a loss to a top ten team haunt us on selection sunday?
Because it's a quality win we should have but don't. And I seriously doubt this team will have many or any quality wins.

Because in the end we let nova score a basket in 4 seconds. Then let them hit a wide open three. Then, because we didn't pass the ball to a wide open cooney on the previous inbounds but instead used a timeout for some unknown reason, we were forced to lob a pass in to rak who bobbled it, and then allowed nova the game tying layup.

That's an absolute collapse and it's something we've seen multiple times this year. I seriously cringe with most of our guys dribbling.

Officiating was absolute . But we had a 5 point lead with ~15 seconds left and we lost. Sickening.
Agree. I hate to blame the refs usually, and while I think they were bad; we still should have won. The last 30 seconds of regulation were just awful on our part.

Hope we stop letting the opposition roll the ball across halfcourt with no pressure.
I believe that cost us the game in regulation.15 seconds extra Villanova had.

All we had to do was inbound the ball at the end of regulation and we probably win. You can wine all you want about the officials, but that was on us. Christmas has to catch that pass and not be a wuss. This loss will probably be a reason we don't make the NCAA tournament. This was on us and we blew the game. Silent G's stupid TO when he could have inbounded the ball to Cooney was another bonehead play. Don't blame the freshmen. Those two big plays were NOT made by veterans.
If we don't make the NCAA tournament it's on us. The ACC allows plenty of chances for quality wins. This game doesn't make our break our chances, but it certainly would have helped

They handchecked us like crazy 30 feet from the basket, primarily guys receiving a pass. When opponents do that its really hard to get a good pass and almost impossible to get a secondary swing pass for a open shot, even with screens.

I get tired of watching it year after year. I can understand in the paint but 25 feet from the basket ugh, only shot your getting against that is isolation pull ups.

We are really missing that isolation pull up guy, its joseph right now and hes not bad at it but from outside hes a spot up shooter.

Last edited:
BTW, McCullough was 0/4 today with 3pts, 5rbs, 5 fouls and 4 turnovers.

That's 1/10, 8pts, 6 turnovers and 10 fouls the last 2 games

I was going to mention this before. Her cleavage is the MVP of this game.

Glad to see I am not the only one on here who took ample notice. I think ample is a good word there.

Helps if McCullough isnt out from the 17 minute mark to the 4 minute, while Gbinije isn't out from the 16 to the 7.

Bug imo this game was lost on open looks 0 open looks off a pass the entire second half. that means no secondary swing pass is being allowed as well.
Roberson was much better than Mc today. We would have been better off leaving CMc home.

Also, whoever thinks this game wasn't a huge step forward is clueless. Yeah, we blew it, but we saw today that this team can play with anyone in the country. Joseph and Roberson are getting better every game. Cooney's game is becoming more well rounded. G looks like he can be a playmaker. Rak is a threat in the paint. McCullough has been quiet lately though, which does have me worried.

I think we're starting to see that CM is going to be non-factor in many of our big games. His total lack of strength is going to keep him in foul trouble all year. He was a total no show again today. That's two games in a row. This game finished pretty much like the Nova game a couple of years ago when we lost in overtime. Against the press late in the game Joseph played scared and didn't want the ball. He didn't work real hard to get the ball.

We didn't have one open jumpshot look off a pass the entire second half and thats not a stretch, thats not good news.

Nobody doubled also leads to that and nova let joseph be our one isolation pull up guy.

But we should have won this game still in regulation.

Last edited:
Hope we stop letting the opposition roll the ball across halfcourt with no pressure.
I believe that cost us the game in regulation.15 seconds extra Villanova had.
YES. I wish someone had the guts to ask JB why his strategy is to allow that. If he made Nova use an extra 5 seconds bringing the ball up court -- twice -- we win the game. Instead he allows them to score with only 4 seconds coming off the clock. Hey SWC, there's your question for next show.

Hahahaha, no.

That's good. Otherwise I might have to be slightly mean to her. lol

I enjoyed your post earlier about day drinking. I'm usually the same way, but toward the end of regulation i started to drink a natty light. It's also an interesting point you made about how one's location can effect such.

Also, whoever thinks this game wasn't a huge step forward is clueless. Yeah, we blew it, but we saw today that this team can play with anyone in the country. Joseph and Roberson are getting better every game. Cooney's game is becoming more well rounded. G looks like he can be a playmaker. Rak is a threat in the paint. McCullough has been quiet lately though, which does have me worried.

I wouldn't say we could play with anyone. There are a handful of elites that would flat out blow our doors off.

We did show we can run with a majority of the big dogs though. Now hope Nova doesn't turn into Mich, since we did kind of show the same thing with them at the time.

That's good. Otherwise I might have to be slightly mean to her. lol

I enjoyed your post earlier about day drinking. I'm usually the same way, but toward the end of regulation i started to drink a natty light. It's also an interesting point you made about how one's location can effect such.

Yeah, don't know why or how that happened. Another thing, since being back I love townie bars that are low key to relax, down there I enjoyed the atmosphere and the activity going on around me. I'll be back down there soon. haha

The craziest thing about it all is, I actually enjoyed watching SU games down there than I do up here. I used to meet with a couple of other big time Cuse fans and it was like an event every time a game was on. Here it's either go to the game, or stay home and enjoy it on TV. I like going to the Pace every once in a while for a game but I'm content sitting at home eating a ton of crap. Who knows.

Yeah, don't know why or how that happened. Another thing, since being back I love townie bars that are low key to relax, down there I enjoyed the atmosphere and the activity going on around me. I'll be back down there soon. haha

The craziest thing about it all is, I actually enjoyed watching SU games down there than I do up here. I used to meet with a couple of other big time Cuse fans and it was like an event every time a game was on. Here it's either go to the game, or stay home and enjoy it on TV. I like going to the Pace every once in a while for a game but I'm content sitting at home eating a ton of crap. Who knows.

I hear you! I'm in Denver now, and being a Cuse fan gives you a commonality with folks against the heathen hordes. Back home, it was often commonplace and taken for granted. Of course they have a big alumni group out here that gathers at a certain bar and has a mailing list, so I'm still an outsider which is the role I am used to and save the going out for the bigger late season games. As someone who doesnt ask much of my smartphone and who is loyal to his PC, unfortunately I have to miss the fun I have on here if I go out to see the game. ;)

I think we're starting to see that CM is going to be non-factor in many of our big games. His total lack of strength is going to keep him in foul trouble all year. He was a total no show again today. That's two games in a row. This game finished pretty much like the Nova game a couple of years ago when we lost in overtime. Against the press late in the game Joseph played scared and didn't want the ball. He didn't work real hard to get the ball.

When CM goes inside with true bigs he looks like a leaf in a hurricane- he goes swirling around and winds up getting spit back out and typically on his derriere. One and done? I fear for his health if he goes pro without gaining exponential strength. His physique and game cries out for a second year of college at least. Just saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom