Cuse/UConn Football Series | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cuse/UConn Football Series

The last time we played at UConn, I had tickets third row from the field in the end zone. Nobody really bothered me, unless the constant questions about basketball. I actually got the ball after the missed extra point. I think I tailgated close to fine mess. (Large inflatable Otto?)
If it was the Aero Club that was us. why don't you join us this year?

I moved from Mass to Delaware and work on saturdays; but if I do make it up, will do.

I've got no problem playing UConn in football. As long they are one of the 2 at most non-P5 teams on the schedule. I'm even OK playing there to give the NYC/New England recruiting area another game in their area to sell recruits on. But not an every year thing. It should not be a competitive series.

View attachment 217321

Found this over at the Yukon Board. Interesting if you've never seen a football scheduling contract before. I have no issues playing them. Even as often as 4-6 times a decade: close by opponent and an excellent chance of winning.

If you want to read the whole contract click here.

4-6x a decade is waaaay too much. If they agree to a 2 for 1 then we can play them 3x in a decade, otherwise keep it at 2x. The less often we play them, the more attractive that road trip is. Having it too often makes it overkill. UConn and UMass need games and $. We should try for 2 for 1s. Then add in Army and Temple and you are set for the decade.

Tailgating at the Aircraft Club is actually super easy. One of the best venues I've seen for price, closeness, grassy areas and indoor bathrooms.

The stadium is okay...but the only place I've ever been to where beer was thrown at us unprovoked.

That 2011 game was ugly in every way.

The one time I went to Rutgers I had a wonderful time with their fans. It was pretty much good natured ribbing on both sides. They weren't LSU nice, but they were friendly. UConn fans are just angry.

4-6x a decade is waaaay too much. If they agree to a 2 for 1 then we can play them 3x in a decade, otherwise keep it at 2x. The less often we play them, the more attractive that road trip is. Having it too often makes it overkill. UConn and UMass need games and $. We should try for 2 for 1s. Then add in Army and Temple and you are set for the decade.
We have 4 OOC opponents

I figure one will be a B1G or PAC12 school, throw in Notre Dame 4 out of 10 years...most years we need to schedule 2-3 G-5/FCS. I'd rather play UConn than UMass...unless UMass will move their home game to Foxboro or Fenway.

We have 4 OOC opponents

I figure one will be a B1G or PAC12 school, throw in Notre Dame 4 out of 10 years...most years we need to schedule 2-3 G-5/FCS. I'd rather play UConn than UMass...unless UMass will move their home game to Foxboro or Fenway.

One OOC game will be FCS and one will be P5. So there are 2 openings for G5. I rather do one MAC and one Northeast each year. IMO we shouldn't be playing in East Hartford anymore than 1 in 8 years, preferably 1 in 10 years.

It will be interesting to see what the P5 does in terms of conference games. It makes $ense for the B12/P12 to go to 7-2/2, the B1G to go to 5+4/4, and the SEC to go 3+6/6. Then OOC play one P5 game. The ACC can stay at 3+5/5 with 2 P5 OOC because of Notre Dame. If this all plays out then UMass and UConn are forced into bad deals for them. Either 1 for 0s or 2 for 1s.

I rather play at Gillette where there aren't a bunch of AH fans. You can also make a weekend trip that includes Boston.

View attachment 217321

Found this over at the Yukon Board. Interesting if you've never seen a football scheduling contract before. I have no issues playing them. Even as often as 4-6 times a decade: close by opponent and an excellent chance of winning.

If you want to read the whole contract click here.
Since it says Carrier instead of JMA can the contract be null and void? Also the 2022 payout is missing a zero

Nice to see the reference to "The Syracuse University". ;)

I have no problem playing one or two home-and-homes vs. UConn per decade (I agree their fans suck). It's a manageable opponent and an easy away game for people in the NYC metro area.

But anyone who has ever advocated for putting the SU stadium near the Fairgrounds, please look at how lifeless the Rent is. Like, if big parking lots with nothing around it is your thing, to each their own. But I love how the Dome is on campus and feeds off that energy.
Moving the stadium would have killed the program

Moving the stadium would have killed the program
Agreed the best decision was to put it on campus at the same spot as Archbold vice the Fairgrounds, Hopkins Rd, or even Skytop.

Recruiting wise, there is not a ton of benefit of playing UCLOWN if we play BC every year.

Rutgers or Army would be better.
I have no issues playing 4-6 times a decade. Hartford is much more accessible to NYC than BC. I do agree with Sal we need one OOC G5 NE team and one MAC type school each year.

Recruiting wise, there is not a ton of benefit of playing UCLOWN if we play BC every year.

Rutgers or Army would be better.
Disagree. There's however many southousand elite prep programs within an hour's drive of East Hartford. I think that playing at UCONN, weirdly, is a good recruiting ploy to possibly expose the program to blue chip prep school recruits in their backyard.

Disagree. There's however many southousand elite prep programs within an hour's drive of East Hartford. I think that playing at UCONN, weirdly, is a good recruiting ploy to possibly expose the program to blue chip prep school recruits in their backyard.
We’ve never really sourced from those schools.

Couple of points. There are a number of prep schools in CT with recruits that Syracuse isn’t looking at right now and should be. Long term, there is going to be more conference realignment and it is better to be friends with neighboring schools than enemies. For example, UConn moving to the Big East from the AAC probably saved their athletic department.

The past is gone regarding Eastern football, the failure to create an Eastern football conference sealed its fate years ago. UB, UCONN and UMASS are becoming relevant regionally and Syracuse should embrace this new reality and play those teams on a semi-regular basis. The demographics have changed and there are many athletes across NY/NE to recruit and develop.

The past is gone regarding Eastern football, the failure to create an Eastern football conference sealed its fate years ago. UB, UCONN and UMASS are becoming relevant regionally and Syracuse should embrace this new reality and play those teams on a semi-regular basis. The demographics have changed and there are many athletes across NY/NE to recruit and develop.
Agree with UB

We’ve never really sourced from those schools.
The New England prep schools? Yes we did. Pasqualoni lived off of the preps whether it was Avon or even St John's Prep grabbing Rob Konrad. You are 100% wrong.

The school should play UConn and try and re-establish connectivity into these schools. All the football players worth anything in the New England area are in the prep world now vs the bigger publics decades ago. Play Uconn yearly and let these kids see Syracuse in this neck of the woods vs playing schools further away

The New England prep schools? Yes we did. Pasqualoni lived off of the preps whether it was Avon or even St John's Prep grabbing Rob Konrad. You are 100% wrong.

The school should play UConn and try and re-establish connectivity into these schools. All the football players worth anything in the New England area are in the prep world now vs the bigger publics decades ago. Play Uconn yearly and let these kids see Syracuse in this neck of the woods vs playing schools further away

Yuck. There isn't enough talent there to warrant playing UConn every year. Playing BC plus rotating Army, UConn, UMass (Gillette), Temple and also rotating Rutgers gives those kids plenty of drivable games.

How many times did we play in CT when Coach P was here? Yet that seemed to work out fine.

Yuck. There isn't enough talent there to warrant playing UConn every year. Playing BC plus rotating Army, UConn, UMass (Gillette), Temple and also rotating Rutgers gives those kids plenty of drivable games.

How many times did we play in CT when Coach P was here? Yet that seemed to work out fine.
I agree...I'm not hard over on Yukon 4-6 times a decade but it is a close opponent...only UB is closer. Army is comparable in distance to Yukon.

How about this over 10 years?

Army/Yukon 6 games total between them
Temple, UMass and UB 4 games total between them

As an aside a team I'd offer a 2 for 1 right now is James Madison. Upgrading from FCS...and 6 hrs from Syracuse and much less from NJ to DC.

I don't have a problem playing UConn some time to time. Agree they aren't going to help recruiting much. Nice road trip for the fans but I think we have to prioritize scheduling based on what is best for recruiting.

What would this drive?

It should be clear to everyone following SU football recruiting that New Jersey is re-emerging as a really important for us.

Eastern Pennsylvania has historically been important for the Syracuse program and we should look to re-establish ourselves here as well. We might get a kid or two in Western PA from time to time but with Penn State and Pitt there, it is best for us to focus efforts on the eastern half of that state.

The most important part of NYS to recruit is NYC, along with LI and the Hudson Valley.

Lastly, I would like us to recruit the DC metro area more. Maybe we get UVa or VT as a permanent rival. That would help a lot. Both were in the other division so we have what, played in Virginia twice since we have been in the ACC. Not good.

With 3-5-5, even if we don't draw a Virginia team, we will be playing in that state a lot more in future years. That said, we still want more games in that area. That means UMd or Navy. As others have pointed out, Navy has a full date card and is going to be tough to book. Still should try. Maryland is probably going to be easier to book. We should see if a series can be booked.

But the biggest impact on recruiting would be to start playing Rutgers more often. We don't have to worry about legitimizing them. They are in the B1G and that isn't going to change. Both schools are in conferences that are not ideal for traveling. Might as well get together more often and make the best of a bad situation.

So I advocate playing Rutgers regularly. This also means we need to play Army more. And it probably would be wise to start playing Temple again. If not them, then Villanova.

I want to recruit WNY more but am okay with playing UB once in a while. Preferably in a 2 for 1 series.

But the priorities for me are RU, Army, Temple, and UMd/Navy. Maybe add James Madison or Old Dominion if they will do a 2-1.