Cuse/UConn Football Series | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Cuse/UConn Football Series

I don't have a problem playing UConn some time to time. Agree they aren't going to help recruiting much. Nice road trip for the fans but I think we have to prioritize scheduling based on what is best for recruiting.

What would this drive?

It should be clear to everyone following SU football recruiting that New Jersey is re-emerging as a really important for us.

Eastern Pennsylvania has historically been important for the Syracuse program and we should look to re-establish ourselves here as well. We might get a kid or two in Western PA from time to time but with Penn State and Pitt there, it is best for us to focus efforts on the eastern half of that state.

The most important part of NYS to recruit is NYC, along with LI and the Hudson Valley.

Lastly, I would like us to recruit the DC metro area more. Maybe we get UVa or VT as a permanent rival. That would help a lot. Both were in the other division so we have what, played in Virginia twice since we have been in the ACC. Not good.

With 3-5-5, even if we don't draw a Virginia team, we will be playing in that state a lot more in future years. That said, we still want more games in that area. That means UMd or Navy. As others have pointed out, Navy has a full date card and is going to be tough to book. Still should try. Maryland is probably going to be easier to book. We should see if a series can be booked.

But the biggest impact on recruiting would be to start playing Rutgers more often. We don't have to worry about legitimizing them. They are in the B1G and that isn't going to change. Both schools are in conferences that are not ideal for traveling. Might as well get together more often and make the best of a bad situation.

So I advocate playing Rutgers regularly. This also means we need to play Army more. And it probably would be wise to start playing Temple again. If not them, then Villanova.

I want to recruit WNY more but am okay with playing UB once in a while. Preferably in a 2 for 1 series.

But the priorities for me are RU, Army, Temple, and UMd/Navy. Maybe add James Madison or Old Dominion if they will do a 2-1.
Couldn’t agree more with playing more in the DMV area and Philly. If we are going to play in an NFL stadium, would much rather beat Temple in the Linc (or maybe their new on campus stadium if that ever gets approved) than lose to a powerhouse in MetLife. Old dominion is really on the rise as a program, that Jason Henderson kid has been balling out for them

I think Mora was a good hire by U Conn. Has been an NFL HC and P5 HC. Knows what it takes to get to NFL. Obviously, NIL types and high star recruits are not their targets.

However, Mora is making an appeal to recruits...lets face it, anyone who plays D1 FB..they all want opportunity to play in NFL...I know what it takes to get there, what NFL teams and scouts want, what schemes they run, the practices they have...IMO, not a bad sell...no, they don't have P5 affiliation or a G5 lesgue affiliation...but they play a D1 independent schedule...still, Mora appeal could resonate. Certainly better than Randy Edsall selling pitch...guy was a bad FB coach and was a total jerk

If Mora can't get them to bowl eligibility, they are better off dropping back to FCS. Try to be a Top 10 FCS program

If Mora can't get them to bowl eligibility, they are better off dropping back to FCS. Try to be a Top 10 FCS program

A lot of teams should go ahead and drop down. Is it really worth it for the MAC to play midweek, get less attendance, and have no shot at the playoffs all for a measly $675k a year in TV money from ESPN?

A lot of teams should go ahead and drop down. Is it really worth it for the MAC to play midweek, get less attendance, and have no shot at the playoffs all for a measly $675k a year in TV money from ESPN?
Agreed

The question is where do they cut off the highest level of college sports?

#of Teams
32 (Cuse isn't making this)
This would be the G league for the NFL and NBA, just horrible for the collegiate model
48 (Can Basketball get us included?)
64 (Likely include us)
72 (near 100% inclusion)

I think 80 teams playing big time sports sounds about right. The bottom 50 or so can join the best of the FCS and monetize as much as possible. Schools below should probably go to a D2 or D3 model.

any chance that because this says 'Carrier Dome' we can get out of it???

no need to play them.

fans dont need a 'close' road trip, they should actually go to the Dome and spend their $$ there and not in CT.

totally useless, the Orange already play a New England team every year.

Problem is this drop back to FCS doesn't work either. Big money loser. Been proven...look at FCS #'s.. Indy D1 might not be sustainable...but they are a public university with an NFL HC and staff who will sell the NFL opportunity hard...if they can win 5 or 6 per season...that's not bad...fans who mention the lack of bowl game tie ins? If they win 6, they will get a bowl. Plus, bowl games are meaningless anyway...glorified exhibition games for ESPN...they are a barometer more for a program that is at least functioning vs one that is dysfunctional...6 wins being the dividing point.

Say you get to a bowl anyway. Every draftable player on both teams skip the game. I still remember how upset all the bowls were when Christian McCaffrey opted out of the Sun Bowl several years ago...McCaffrey was even attacked by national media and bowl committee types... he wanted to train for NFL Draft. Why? They knew this was beginning of end to old bowl model. They were right. This opened floodgates. All draft types leave...understandably. It's their career.

I think Mora a very good hire by U Conn...I like fact he can sell the NFL, that matters. Will it work? I don't know..I know it is 1000% better than Edsall...but FCS model doesn't work.

Last edited:
Bowl games might be somewhat meaningless...but as a fan I love them. I love watching them during the Holidays...and much more fun if SU was at or above .500% playing in one too.

I had such a great time at the Camping World Bowl and Texas Bowl not to mention the Pinstripe Bowl.

Dropping back to FCS can work if it becomes a more elite group and they can negotiate a better TV contract and cost controls. FB structure I suspect will look radically different in 10 years.

Remember schools do bigger time athletics about branding and student recruiting.

Agreed

The question is where do they cut off the highest level of college sports?

#of Teams
32 (Cuse isn't making this)
This would be the G league for the NFL and NBA, just horrible for the collegiate model
48 (Can Basketball get us included?)
64 (Likely include us)
72 (near 100% inclusion)

I think 80 teams playing big time sports sounds about right. The bottom 50 or so can join the best of the FCS and monetize as much as possible. Schools below should probably go to a D2 or D3 model.
The number is the one part the top tier must get right from the start. How much cannon fodder is needed before destroying the middle of the pack.

Once a top tier is announced, there will be no playing lesser tiers or a strict limit. The only way for middle of the pack teams to appear relevant is to have a sufficient number to stay "relevant". Much of the SEC will drop off if they cannot play patsies.

That said, I think 80 would be the bare minimum with a number closer to the present number. This also means the top money conferences will either help boost the TV money for the G5 or they will pay out the nose.for body bag games. Either way, money will have to flow to the G5 schools or many of what are presently deemed good to very good football schools are going to become irrelevant with a paycheck.

The number is the one part the top tier must get right from the start. How much cannon fodder is needed before destroying the middle of the pack.

Once a top tier is announced, there will be no playing lesser tiers or a strict limit. The only way for middle of the pack teams to appear relevant is to have a sufficient number to stay "relevant". Much of the SEC will drop off if they cannot play patsies.

That said, I think 80 would be the bare minimum with a number closer to the present number. This also means the top money conferences will either help boost the TV money for the G5 or they will pay out the nose.for body bag games. Either way, money will have to flow to the G5 schools or many of what are presently deemed good to very good football schools are going to become irrelevant with a paycheck.

There really should be 3 tiers. The Top 40ish should be in their own division. The Bottom 50ish and Top FCS should all be together. The teams in between aren't big time enough to play with the Top 40ish but are way too big to be with the Bottom 50ish.

Bowl games might be somewhat meaningless...but as a fan I love them. I love watching them during the Holidays...and much more fun if SU was at or above .500% playing in one too.

I had such a great time at the Camping World Bowl and Texas Bowl not to mention the Pinstripe Bowl.
You know, I always did too...they were still exhibition games 10 years ago, but seemed to be more relevent...for some reason...and fun. But last two years...hardly watched any bowls...last year, even the 3 CFP games...2 semi-finals and championship game, I watched aggregate of 30 minutes total. Did not care...was bored. Admittedly, the little I watched was more to scout high profile NFL draft prospects than games. The teams?...Had less than zero rooting interest. Games left me cold. Zero interest.

I know quite a few pretty rabid sports fans who didn't even know the title game was on that Monday night...Georgia-Alabama. Surprised when they saw score. I'd say this type of thing is a bad sign for college FB. When serious sports fans don't even know you are playing. The CFP?..sort of got lost in excitement of very exciting, crazy NFL playoff games in 2021...you had some classics...KC vs Buffalo was a Top 5 All Time in NFL history type... and many others were very exciting playoff games. It was one after another. Wild, fun games

I thought NFL...and other entertainment stuff...has pushed college football showcase games into obscurity.

Last edited:
There really should be 3 tiers. The Top 40ish should be in their own division. The Bottom 50ish and Top FCS should all be together. The teams in between aren't big time enough to play with the Top 40ish but are way too big to be with the Bottom 50ish.
This will not work. Why? TV marginalization. Too many of these so called "top tier" teams play in metro areas like East Doohickey...its about ratings. You can't just strip out teams like this. Take Northeast...say you strip out BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, U Conn, Pitt from Top Tier. Why should anyone in Northeast watch college FB again? These are huge metro areas. A rating of 1 or 2 in NY or Boston equals all these college towns put together...college sports fans don't get this. Never will. I worked in industry. TV contracts like ESPN just signed will be EPIC disasters

You think NYC folks are going to watch Tennessee vs Texas A & M??...this NIL stuff will not only eliminate competitive balance in CFB...it will absolutely kill TV ratings.

Looking forward to seeing big TV rating numbers from Gainesville, Tuscsloosa, Knoxville, College Station, Norman...might even beat Profesional Bull Riding.

College Football is on life support...I'm telling you, they got 3 years to straighten this mess out. I don't know if they can. We could be watching beginning of end...with minor league football the end product.

Last edited:
College Football is on life support...I'm telling you, they got 3 years to straighten this mess out. I don't know if they can. We could be watching beginning of end...with minor league football the end product.
LOL

Ummm, UConn is a football program on life support.

Has SU won natty's lately? Have they done as well as any of us wanted? Obviously, no.

But to say our program is on life support when they are in a P5 league is one of the hottest takes on this board in a long time.

Maybe you should learn a bit about college football before pontificating about something you obviously know little about.

Opinions vs. facts - study up.

LOL

Ummm, UConn is a football program on life support.

Has SU won natty's lately? Have they done as well as any of us wanted? Obviously, no.

But to say our program is on life support when they are in a P5 league is one of the hottest takes on this board in a long time.

Maybe you should learn a bit about college football before pontificating about something you obviously know little about.

Opinions vs. facts - study up.
I didn't say Syracuse FB was on life support. Nor did I say U Conn was in a good spot. I said hiring Mora who can sell his NFL experience was best move they can make in their particular situation.

I said college FB was on life support. At least as to how the current model is. Yes, if CFB becomes just 10 or 12 top NIL teams competing with $15 million collectives, a lot of college FB fans will become former fans. There is another option they have...called the NFL. Unless they fix this NIL mess. This NIL booster mess will kill all competitive balance in the sport. You don't get this???? Hahaha

Study up? You need the help...with reading comprehension.LOL!!

I didn't say Syracuse FB was on life support. Nor did I say U Conn was in a good spot. I said hiring Mora who can sell his NFL experience was best move they can make in their particular situation.

I said college FB was on life support. At least as to how the current model is. Yes, if CFB becomes just 10 or 12 top NIL teams competing with $15 million collectives, a lot of college FB fans will become former fans. There is another option they have...called the NFL. Unless they fix this NIL mess. This NIL booster mess will kill all competitive balance in the sport. You don't get this???? Hahaha

Study up? You need the help...with reading comprehension.LOL!!
Yup. You're right. Saw 'college football' and read 'SU football'. My bad. Apologies.

Not sure I totally agree with 'on life support', but I do totally agree with your bolded sentences.

Again, apologies.

Yup. You're right. Saw 'college football' and read 'SU football'. My bad. Apologies.

Not sure I totally agree with 'on life support', but I do totally agree with your bolded sentences.

Again, apologies.

Accepted...I am talking the sport. Plus, "life support" does not mean college football will be gone. Or that Alabama, Florida, Ohio State fans will not care about FB...but you have 110 D1 teams. 65 P5 teams...say 10 teams are spending 15-20-25 million in NIL money. Nobody else can compete. It will drag down national interest and ruin all competitive balance. It will be a bore. You will turn a lot of former college fans into primary NFL fans

The New England prep schools? Yes we did. Pasqualoni lived off of the preps whether it was Avon or even St John's Prep grabbing Rob Konrad. You are 100% wrong.

The school should play UConn and try and re-establish connectivity into these schools. All the football players worth anything in the New England area are in the prep world now vs the bigger publics decades ago. Play Uconn yearly and let these kids see Syracuse in this neck of the woods vs playing schools further away
That’s fair. We sourced it 25 years ago.

UCONN isn’t worth it. And the kids going to those prep schools aren’t Syracuse minded at all.

Accepted...I am talking the sport. Plus, "life support" does not mean college football will be gone. Or that Alabama, Florida, Ohio State fans will not care about FB...but you have 110 D1 teams. 65 P5 teams...say 10 teams are spending 15-20-25 million in NIL money. Nobody else can compete. It will drag down national interest and ruin all competitive balance. It will be a bore. You will turn a lot of former college fans into primary NFL fans
Actually 131 teams this year.

Personally I would like to see about 80-90 teams in the Top division and the rest play with the best of the FCS and get monetized as best they can.

Competitive balance is a tough nut to crack. Kids want to play where the spotlight shines brightest on them.

Actually 131 teams this year.

Personally I would like to see about 80-90 teams in the Top division and the rest play with the best of the FCS and get monetized as best they can.

Competitive balance is a tough nut to crack. Kids want to play where the spotlight shines brightest on them.

The top 1/3 of FBS is on a different playing field than the middle 1/3 of FBS. And the middle 1/3 is on a different playing field than the bottom 1/3. From a competitive standpoint the bottom 1/3 of FBS should be with the top 1/3 of FCS. Then split the top 1/3 of FBS into semi pro and middle 1/3 into academic.

That’s fair. We sourced it 25 years ago.

UCONN isn’t worth it. And the kids going to those prep schools aren’t Syracuse minded at all.

Absolutely they are. What do you mean they aren't Syracuse minded? Those schools are sending kids to BC, Michigan in droves. Mainly because of the pipeline guys like Don Brown have drilled for years/decades.

We used to have this with P&D who knew New England and got the best to come to SU. It can happen again if we figure out the proper recruiters for the area.