'Cuse vs USC talent gap | Syracusefan.com

'Cuse vs USC talent gap

W'boro'Cuse315

All American
Though it's obviously 2 weeks away, I just wanted to pose a simple question. I love our guys to death but, IMHO, I don't think there's a single Orange player who would start for USC on either side of the ball. In fact, I'm not so sure any would crack the USC 2-deep, with the only exceptions being possibly Chandler or (even slimmer chance) Pugh. Am I being too hard on my Orange? Thoughts?

I don't think you are being too hard on the Orange... but just because not many of our guys would start for them is not the end-all-be-all. It has to do with matchups, execution, and determination much more than it does the talent gap.

I'm sure Minnesota could have said that yesterday too, but they still almost won the game... SU just needs to go out there and play hard and minimize mistakes and they'll have a chance to compete and win the game. If they come out flat, have stupid penalties, make mistakes on defense, and can't move the ball then they'll be in for a long game.

Though it's obviously 2 weeks away, I just wanted to pose a simple question. I love our guys to death but, IMHO, I don't think there's a single Orange player who would start for USC on either side of the ball. In fact, I'm not so sure any would crack the USC 2-deep, with the only exceptions being possibly Chandler or (even slimmer chance) Pugh. Am I being too hard on my Orange? Thoughts?
Also, over the past few years take a look back at how many BACKUP players that USC has had drafted... Matt Cassel is a perfect example... I don't think that he ever started a game at USC, but he played pretty well for New England and KC over the past few years in the NFL!

You're probably right, but I think that there's a good chance that #SHAMARKO, Phillip Thomas, Zach Chibane, Marquis Spruill Justin Pugh, and Chandler Jones would all be in the 2-deep. And, Antwon Bailey might have been able to see the field for them as a situational, 3rd-down, player.

You all Need to relax about USC!!! Why are you so worried about them?? Chill let's talk about long island right now... Let's hope for a 2-0 start!!!

I hate these posts with a passion. This is the mentality that keeps people from coming to games or motivates them to leave with 9 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. What is the answer you're looking for? Yes, we are inferior- I don't know why we bother-we're gonna get killed-we'll be 2-1 after the game-I hope we can just compete.

ill sum this up with 2 words...screw usc

I hate these posts with a passion. This is the mentality that keeps people from coming to games or motivates them to leave with 9 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. What is the answer you're looking for? Yes, we are inferior- I don't know why we bother-we're gonna get killed-we'll be 2-1 after the game-I hope we can just compete.

This is the mentality that keeps people from coming to the Rhode Island game because they automatically assume it's going to be a win :p

Yeah and ND is supposedly more talented than USF ... how did that work out for them? Its about coaching, execution and making plays ... period ... first of all we are basing the talent level on what a few hacks from scout or rivals tell us it is ... second of all after watching USC vs Minny you have to realize that for all that talent USC had a very tough time executing or pulling away from a headstrong Minny squad. I don't think we will beat USC necessarily because it is very tough to travel out west like that and get a W ... but this game is simply not determined by talent gap ... if it was ... why even bother playing it?

ill sum this up with 2 words...screw usc
I'll second this.. So what if we may have talent gaps.. We can compete with the Minnesota's and I think we can compete with USC. It's a matter of which offense shows up.. 1st half vs. WF or 2nd half vs. WF..

Maybe I should start a threat about the talent gap between Minnesota and Syracuse because last time I checked, Minnesota almost beat USC. FWIW, I think were better than Minnesota.

Maybe I should start a threat about the talent gap between Minnesota and Syracuse because last time I checked, Minnesota almost beat USC. FWIW, I think were better than Minnesota.

Agree completely. Minnesota was terrible last year (3-9) and will probably win only 2 games in the b10 this year. If Minnesota can come that close to upsetting USC, there is absolutely no reason we can't pull off the W.

Minn played USC to essentially the same game last year . no doubt they felt they could play with them this year. USC is very undisciplined and lacks leadership.. they also are still vastly more talented.. to watch a 2 Star true freshmen come in late and move down the field it shows if you can get the oline to handle the pressure you can move the ball on them. they rely on the Dline to create most of the pressure, that can be schemed against much easier than the D Wake used that we had really never seen.

if USC learns that they should just throw the ball they will be tough to stop..

I don't think you or anybody on this board can make the assessment.

I suspect you are incorrect - that a number of SU players could start for USC.

But that's just a guess.

I too can't figure out the point of this kinda thread.

It smacks of insecurity & a defeatist attitude that assumes our inferiority, before we even hit the field.

Why bother to play the games if the outcome is predetermined by just reading rosters or evaluating the number of stars for each recruit?

And yet somehow, year after year, a Boise State or James Madison or Appalachian State wins against supposedly superior teams...on paper.

And the opposite can also happen, as qdawgg pointed out about the Rhode Island game- maybe they shouldn't show up either!

Lets just play our game & see where the chips fall.

Sheesh. :bang:

A 4.3 40 is the same at SU as it is at USC. A gap in talent? Nah just a perceived gap based upon the star system. You can compare all the measureables, but you can't measure heart. Being at the game Thurs. showed never to count these guys out. I would'nt care if USC trotted out a team full of 5* guys, I'm going to ride and die with Coach Marrone and the Orange.

A 4.3 40 is the same at SU as it is at USC. A gap in talent? Nah just a perceived gap based upon the star system. You can compare all the measureables, but you can't measure heart. Being at the game Thurs. showed never to count these guys out. I would'nt care if USC trotted out a team full of 5* guys, I'm going to ride and die with Coach Marrone and the Orange.

I agree, the only important thing is that Marrone does not let the team believe there is this "huge talent gap" it is amazing what the human spirit cane overcome if they just think they can...oh no this could be like a story read by a previous coach:crazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ydiZMflsnU

Found this one too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aftLWq1L09M

My intent in starting this thread was not to get ppl riled up or upset, I was just simply posing a question. I don't believe that I was demonstrating any "insecurity" or a "defeatist attitude", as I said nothing in regards to expecting a loss or to be out-played. I was just simply looking for an opinion. I believe that intangibles trump talent enough to make even the widest of "gaps" irrelevant, as evidence by Minny's performance the last 2 years. I fully support my Orange & will be stepping on a plane for the very 1st time & heading over to LA whole-heartedly believing that they have a chance to win. Sorry if my post was taken the wrong way.

I too can't figure out the point of this kinda thread.

It smacks of insecurity & a defeatist attitude that assumes our inferiority, before we even hit the field.

Why bother to play the games if the outcome is predetermined by just reading rosters or evaluating the number of stars for each recruit?

And yet somehow, year after year, a Boise State or James Madison or Appalachian State wins against supposedly superior teams...on paper.

And the opposite can also happen, as qdawgg pointed out about the Rhode Island game- maybe they shouldn't show up either!

Lets just play our game & see where the chips fall.

Sheesh. :bang:

Sensitive I see? Who cares? It's a message board and a valid question, IMO. Actually, an App St or JMU rarely beat a superior team. Those are fluke occurences and Boise St. has been a superior team the past five years. I don't know what Boise's recruiting rankings have been as of late but their coaching is tremendous and they do have good players. Why can't Syracuse become an east coast version of Boise? I hope it can. We have very good coaching.

I'm not convinced that SC does. I mean what has Kiffin really done as a head football coach? Look, I'm an SC alum who grew up in Oswego so this game is a win-win either way. SC will probably overlook SU and play sloppy football. Marrone and Co. will come up with a good gameplan and if the players execute they can keep it close if SC is sleepwalking. That Barkley-Woods combo is probably strong enough to bail them out if SC comes out and plays sloppy. Hopefully it's a close game and I think there is a better than average chance that it can be.

I believe our talent is superiour to USC at every position. For a fact. Coaching talent that is. And I hope that's enough to win us the game.

The fact that Lane Kiffen is head coach for USC should give hope to every one of the Trojan's opponents. The guy struck me as singularly unqualified for his position in his year at Tennessee, and I think he will go down in flames for USC.

The only Kiffen I worry about is Monte ... that guy can coach and he alone will keep Lane in a lot of games.