Cuseclappy NBA lotto mock 1.0 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cuseclappy NBA lotto mock 1.0

I don't see it with Davis. I think he will be a poor man's Camby (which is a compliment). I'm not bullish on guys who grew late. I feel like they fall back to playing like a guard when they need to dig in. He needs to get bigger, get a few low post moves that can be his go to and he needs to really embrace being a big man.

I think Davis is going to be a better player than Camby. He does need to embrace being a big man, agreed on that. On the upside, and this is of course the ultimate upside, I see a KG like player. Not bulky, but a great defensive presence who is more of a jump shotoer on offense. LaMarcus Aldridge is kind of a guy like this as well.

The thing about Duncan and Shaq, is that they had those extra years of college coaching/experience. So maybe they would have been more in line with Davis after 1 year, but they chose a different route. Davis will never get that. Duncan is basically an extra coach on the floor for the Spurs. His added value is off the charts.

I agree, but I don't think it means Davis can't be as good as those guys. (I don't think Davis is goign to be as good as those guys, don't get me wrong, but KG/Lebron/Kobedidn't go to school for even a year and they have turned out ok). I don't think Duncan being like an extra coach on the floor has much to do with the fact that he went to college for 4 years.

But it's definitely harder to draft players who have only gone to school for one year than guys who go for 3 or 4. For a guy like Lebron it's not a problem, but most players, even the great players, aren't as developed as Lebron was as a high school senior. The more info you can get on these guys, and the more development time before you need to make a decision on them, the better.

He's not even a poor man's Camby - he's the next one. He's going to be very good. Just compare him to Joakim Noah and think about what he looked like coming out of college. How was that guy ever going to succeed as a pro? Not bulky enough to really be a true center, and no offensive game to speak of, right ?" And that has obviously turned out pretty well. Unibrow is going to be a very good pro. Book it.

Joakim Noah was and is a true big man. He also had more years in college. He knows what he can do and does it. That is what players need to do in the NBA that aren't superstars. Davis was a guard trying to be a big man in the NBA.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but do you watch the NBA? If you do, I don't know how you can bring up Noah and him coming out of college and doing what he does now. He hustles, play big and does the dirty work. He has constantly done that.

Joakim Noah was and is a true big man. He also had more years in college. He knows what he can do and does it. That is what players need to do in the NBA that aren't superstars. Davis was a guard trying to be a big man in the NBA.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but do you watch the NBA? If you do, I don't know how you can bring up Noah and him coming out of college and doing what he does now. He hustles, play big and does the dirty work. He has constantly done that.

Noah is a skinny guy compared to most NBA centers, do you not agree ? Were there not questions about whether he would be able to play center in the NBA when he came out ? Many projected him as having to play PF, and that hasn't turned out to be the case. Remember, he was only the third guy drafted off of his college team, even though he was the 9th pick of the first round.

That's true, but I don't see any reason to think Anthony Davis has plateaued as a player as a 19 year old. He's going to improve his game, probably alot. I like Davis a lot; think he's going to be an all star multiple times in the league. Definitely not gonna put him on the Duncan-Shaq level, of course.

I think Davis is going to be a better player than Camby. He does need to embrace being a big man, agreed on that. On the upside, and this is of course the ultimate upside, I see a KG like player. Not bulky, but a great defensive presence who is more of a jump shotoer on offense. LaMarcus Aldridge is kind of a guy like this as well.

KG is a jump shooter now due to playing on one leg late in his career. I think people use these comparisons way too liberally. Maybe Davis will be able to pull off a KG-like play here and there, but doing it consistently as who he is... no way. He will never reach those heights.

Camby won DPOY and was first team Def Team 2x and second team Def Team 2x and led the league in blocks four times (pulled this from wikipedia). He was a lean guy that had good hops and a good wingspan and had a natural ability to play defense. If Davis starts trying to be KG or LaMarcus, he is going to fall flat on his face. Book it.

I agree, but I don't think it means Davis can't be as good as those guys. (I don't think Davis is goign to be as good as those guys, don't get me wrong, but KG/Lebron/Kobedidn't go to school for even a year and they have turned out ok). I don't think Duncan being like an extra coach on the floor has much to do with the fact that he went to college for 4 years.

Sure it doesn't shut the door on it, but the chances are insanely slim.

But it's definitely harder to draft players who have only gone to school for one year than guys who go for 3 or 4. For a guy like Lebron it's not a problem, but most players, even the great players, aren't as developed as Lebron was as a high school senior. The more info you can get on these guys, and the more development time before you need to make a decision on them, the better.

I agree with this. But the fact that he isn't a slam dunk like a LeBron shows that the assumption for him as a franchise-changing do-it-all big man is kind of silly at this point (not that you are assuming that).

Noah is a skinny guy compared to most NBA centers, do you not agree ? Were there not questions about whether he would be able to play center in the NBA when he came out ? Many projected him as having to play PF, and that hasn't turned out to be the case. Remember, he was only the third guy drafted off of his college team, even though he was the 9th pick of the first round.

Gotcha. Yes, but to my point, Noah does a few things very well and has consistently done that. It helps offset his limitations. He also plays "bigger" than his size, if that makes sense. I believe he is actually taller than Ant Davis, though. He may be low in weight, but his height is fine.

My point with Davis is not that he can't be good, but that he hasn't been doing big man things through the course of his career. He needs a learning curve. He is going to have high expectations, including having way more tools than Noah (for example).

That's true, but I don't see any reason to think Anthony Davis has plateaued as a player as a 19 year old. He's going to improve his game, probably alot. I like Davis a lot; think he's going to be an all star multiple times in the league. Definitely not gonna put him on the Duncan-Shaq level, of course.

I think you have him pegged one level above where I think his ceiling is. Fair argument. I just don't see it happening. Learning in the NBA is a lot harder than learning prior. I think the heavy expectations for him are really going to weigh on him.

Either way, he is first ballot HoF unibrow.

KG is a jump shooter now due to playing on one leg late in his career. I think people use these comparisons way too liberally. Maybe Davis will be able to pull off a KG-like play here and there, but doing it consistently as who he is... no way. He will never reach those heights.

Like I said, that is the ultimate upside. The odds of it happening are extremely slim, of course. KG is one of the 20 best players of all time. But KG is a player who was never a pure back to the basket big guy. I can see Davis delviering his value in many of the same ways that KG does. I doubt he'll deliver as much value.

Sure it doesn't shut the door on it, but the chances are insanely slim.

Agreed, no doubt. But I don't think his chances would be much improved by staying in school, that's more what I was saying. He's just not going to be as good as Duncan or Shaq no matter what, those are 2 of the 10-12 best players ever.

Learning in the NBA is a lot harder than learning prior. I think the heavy expectations for him are really going to weigh on him.

I wonder about that though; the developing. I think it depends on the player and where he is on the development curve. Duncan and Shaq are two good guys to contrast. I can see Duncan going to school for 4 years really helped him; as a freshmen he wasn't even much of a contributor. He showed flashes but I think getting reps against the lesser competition in college helped him develop in the early years. (btw, I doubt he needed that last year at Wake; I believe he would've been the #1 pick if he came out the year prior). But Shaq; the guy basically had an NBA body as a freshmen in college. He may have been better off playing against NBA players and learning from them a year or two before he actually came out. (Considering how his career ended it's not like you can complain about it).

But I don't think I agree that it's harder to learn int he NBA than learning in college or high school. Like I said, I think it depends ont he player and where he is. Lebron James had nothing to learn by going to college, if anything that may have stunted his development. Anthony Davis of course isn't Lebron.

And your point on the expectations is a good one.

I don't see it with Davis. I think he will be a poor man's Camby (which is a compliment). I'm not bullish on guys who grew late. I feel like they fall back to playing like a guard when they need to dig in. He needs to get bigger, get a few low post moves that can be his go to and he needs to really embrace being a big man.

The upside with him is that he seems like a good kid, seems like he will work hard to improve and has a natural gift for defense.

The thing about Duncan and Shaq, is that they had those extra years of college coaching/experience. So maybe they would have been more in line with Davis after 1 year, but they chose a different route. Davis will never get that. Duncan is basically an extra coach on the floor for the Spurs. His added value is off the charts.

I think Davis is going to be better than Camby, but I agree that he needs to get bigger and work on his post game. He really hasn't faced guys who have both the size and skills that so many NBA bigs have.

say it ain't so ... Dion a Jailblazer ... and Austin Rivers the next big Duke bust ... can't really argue much with your mock draft though ... Sully must be kicking himself for not leaving last year ... he decided to return and then enter one of the most talent rich drafts in the last decade ... not the best decision ... unless you are Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist leaving early this year isn't as safe as years past ...

I agree, especially with Rivers but we as SU fans shouldn't be making fun of anybody else's busts.

I am just going to come out and say it I think Drummond ends up being the best one out of this class in the NBA. I know I am going to get ripped I just think the young man is going to be a much better pro then College player

I think Drummond is going to be very good as well. The guy is big and explosive. Seems like people think he doesn't care but I've heard that before about other big men and they turned out well. Even Tim Duncan people thought was too passive and people worried he didn't care enough.

Drummond will take a few years but I could see him being very good.

Cousins n Drummond in the post together could be scary in a good and bad way. Would be interesting to say the least.

Cuseclappy Mock 2.0

1 New Orleans Hornets: Anthony Davis/PF/Kentucky
2 Charlotte Bobcats: Thomas Robinson/PF/Kansas
3-Washington Wizards: Brad Beal/SG/Florida
4-Cleveland Cavaliers: Harrison Barnes/SF/UNC
5-Sacramento Kings: Michael Kidd-Gilcrist/SF/Kentucky
6-Portland Trailblazers: Andre Drummond/C/Uconn
7-Golden State Warriors: Dion Waiters/SG/Syracuse
8-Toronto Raptors: Damien Lilliard/PG/Weber State
9-Detroit Pistons: Tyler Zeller/C/UNC
10-New Orleans Hornets: Jeremy Lamb/SG/UConn
11-Portland Trailblazers: Terrance Ross/SG/Washington
12-Milwaukee Bucks: Meyers Leonard/C/Illinois
13-Pheonix Suns: Austin Rivers/SG/Duke
14-Houston Rockets: Arnett Moultre/PF/Miss St
15-Philadelphia Sixers: Terrence Jones/PF/Kentucky
16-Houston Rockets: Kendall Marshall/PG/UNC
17-Dallas Mavericks: Perry Jones/SF/Baylor
18-Minnesota Twolves:Moe Harkless/SF/St Johns
19-Orlando Magic:Jared Sullinger/PF/Ohio State
20-Denver Nuggets:John Henson/PF/UNC
21-Boston Celtics: Fab Melo/C/Syracuse
22-Boston Celtics:Andrew Nicholson/PF/St Bonas
23-Atlanta Hawks: Marquis Teague/PG/Kentucky
24-Cleveland Cavaliers: Royce White/SF/Iowa St.
25-Memphis Grizzlies: Evan Fournier/SG/France
26-Indiana Pacers:Jeffery Taylor/SF/Vanderbilt
27-Miami Heat: Doron Lamb/SG/Kentucky
28-Oklahoma City Thunder: Dreymon Green/SF/Michigan State
29-Chicago Bulls: John Jenkins/SG/Vanderbilt
30-Golden State Warriors:Will Barton/SF/Memphis

I havent paid the most attention to the nba draft outside of waiters and fab... but would the hawks really look to draft their pg's brother to potentially challenge him for the job?

side note... i actually watched the UK-OSU game with david falk last year (2011). He said he had a good feeling that sullinger would be back for his soph year.

now that Falk is officially repping Sullinger, wonder what he thinks about it... he was a top 3 pick last year. and now, who knows? he could go 10 - he could go 25. but he aint going top 3.

falk has always been a proponent for staying in school (that's how he got on big bad john's side, even as a cuse grad).

I havent paid the most attention to the nba draft outside of waiters and fab... but would the hawks really look to draft their pg's brother to potentially challenge him for the job?

side note... i actually watched the UK-OSU game with david falk last year (2011). He said he had a good feeling that sullinger would be back for his soph year.

now that Falk is officially repping Sullinger, wonder what he thinks about it... he was a top 3 pick last year. and now, who knows? he could go 10 - he could go 25. but he aint going top 3.

falk has always been a proponent for staying in school (that's how he got on big bad john's side, even as a cuse grad).
i think the hawks are lookin at a pg bc i believe hinrich is a FA and they have no other options behind him

I think it's pretty much been confirmed that the Bobcats have it down to Barnes, Robinson, and Drummond for #2. MKG will likely make it to the Cavs at #4, who are trying to decide between MKG, Beal, and Barnes.

i think the hawks are lookin at a pg bc i believe hinrich is a FA and they have no other options behind him

Maybe so but that team needs more than a backup PG if they are going to compete for an Eastern Conference crown ... the problem is they really need a 5 man and there aren't any good options in that draft slot.

yeah, PG and C are the 2 areas of need. Just not sure if it would be worth it to draft a brother to compete for the same job.

Maybe so but that team needs more than a backup PG if they are going to compete for an Eastern Conference crown ... the problem is they really need a 5 man and there aren't any good options in that draft slot.

fabricio is going to be the steal of the draft.

i am really hoping he drops to 23.

fabricio is going to be the steal of the draft.

i am really hoping he drops to 23.

Rank the Center prospects:

Meyers Leonard
Fab
Tyler Zeller
Festus Ezeli

Do you think he ends up better than all 3 of the above?

Cuseclappy Mock 2.0

1 New Orleans Hornets: Anthony Davis/PF/Kentucky
2 Charlotte Bobcats: Thomas Robinson/PF/Kansas
3-Washington Wizards: Brad Beal/SG/Florida
4-Cleveland Cavaliers: Harrison Barnes/SF/UNC
5-Sacramento Kings: Michael Kidd-Gilcrist/SF/Kentucky
6-Portland Trailblazers: Andre Drummond/C/Uconn
7-Golden State Warriors: Dion Waiters/SG/Syracuse
8-Toronto Raptors: Damien Lilliard/PG/Weber State
9-Detroit Pistons: Tyler Zeller/C/UNC
10-New Orleans Hornets: Jeremy Lamb/SG/UConn
11-Portland Trailblazers: Terrance Ross/SG/Washington
12-Milwaukee Bucks: Meyers Leonard/C/Illinois
13-Pheonix Suns: Austin Rivers/SG/Duke
14-Houston Rockets: Arnett Moultre/PF/Miss St
15-Philadelphia Sixers: Terrence Jones/PF/Kentucky
16-Houston Rockets: Kendall Marshall/PG/UNC
17-Dallas Mavericks: Perry Jones/SF/Baylor
18-Minnesota Twolves:Moe Harkless/SF/St Johns
19-Orlando Magic:Jared Sullinger/PF/Ohio State
20-Denver Nuggets:John Henson/PF/UNC
21-Boston Celtics: Fab Melo/C/Syracuse
22-Boston Celtics:Andrew Nicholson/PF/St Bonas
23-Atlanta Hawks: Marquis Teague/PG/Kentucky
24-Cleveland Cavaliers: Royce White/SF/Iowa St.
25-Memphis Grizzlies: Evan Fournier/SG/France
26-Indiana Pacers:Jeffery Taylor/SF/Vanderbilt
27-Miami Heat: Doron Lamb/SG/Kentucky
28-Oklahoma City Thunder: Dreymon Green/SF/Michigan State
29-Chicago Bulls: John Jenkins/SG/Vanderbilt
30-Golden State Warriors:Will Barton/SF/Memphis

My personal thoughts - Thomas Robinson is going to underachieve relative to draft position. He's just not as tall as he needs to be at the position. People who I think are going to make it are Anthony Davis (no surprise there), Beal, Kid-Gilchrist, Moultre, Marshall with the right team, like Utah or San Antonio, and Dion. I think Fab Melo has a place in the NBA, too. He's a great shot blocker and defensive center. It's no accident that we were the best team in the country when he played. I also think that somebody like Will Barton is a perfect fit at Golden State. He might put up very good numbers there.

Meyers Leonard
Fab
Tyler Zeller
Festus Ezeli

Ezeli is a pretty good player, but your point is well taken.

I think it's pretty much been confirmed that the Bobcats have it down to Barnes, Robinson, and Drummond for #2. MKG will likely make it to the Cavs at #4, who are trying to decide between MKG, Beal, and Barnes.

Gilchrist has a will-to-win that is elite, Jordan-esque. I think he's going to be a great pro in a couple years.

I think Barnes has too much Wes Johnson in his game to be a great pro. Drummond doesn't have the motor that they're hoping for. Both of the teams who pick those guys are going to be disappointed that they are paying them so much money for what they get back on the court.

Meyers Leonard
Fab
Tyler Zeller
Festus Ezeli

The only guy I would take ahead of Fab at this point is Zeller ... I like his game ... but a big white guy out of UNC never fares well in the league ... see Montross, Eric ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom