Custis and the draft... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Custis and the draft...

No offense but...you out you g'dam mind. If AET and Ishmael didn't get drafted then no way in H E double hockey sticks is Custis getting drafted. Ishmael broke Harrison's all-time receiving record. Didn't get drafted.

Language, sir.

Custis is at best a long-shot to get a spot, even as a UFA. He does bring value on special teams, but other than that, simply can't be trusted enough to make one of the 192 WR spots on 53 man rosters, let alone on the practice squad. If AET, Ishmael and Erv can't stick, what makes us think that Custis can? Sure he's 6'5", but he mainly has unreliable mitts.

I wish him the best, but just being honest. Hope he proves us wrong.

What am I missing here?

AET official combine 40: 4.49
Ishmael 40: 4.59
Custis 40: listed at 4.5 on syr.com based on Dungey quote

He ran a 4.37 40 while he was being recruited. I'm not sure where he's at right now but him running sub 4.5 at a combine wouldn't surprise me.

6-5, sub 4.5, big hands...granted not the best hands at all but I've seen stranger things happen in the draft.

Custis is at best a long-shot to get a spot, even as a UFA. He does bring value on special teams, but other than that, simply can't be trusted enough to make one of the 192 WR spots on 53 man rosters, let alone on the practice squad. If AET, Ishmael and Erv can't stick, what makes us think that Custis can? Sure he's 6'5", but he mainly has unreliable mitts.

I wish him the best, but just being honest. Hope he proves us wrong.

I think it's important to note that the coaches used Custis somewhat differently from AET and Ish. Those guys caught a lot more short and intermediate patterns where they were looking for YAC. They must have been targeted twice as much a game as Custis. Custis, and you can tell just by his yards per catch, was more a deep pass threat. Teams will factor that into their decisions, as well as Dungey's own throwing inconsistencies, when it comes to the draft.

Like I said in the initial post, if he puts up the kind of numbers we expect him to in a combine environment, some teams will project him much higher than we think. The color guy in the BC game spent 5 minutes just raving about the size of his hands. His ST work then becomes an added bonus reducing the risk of the pick while they work on his development.

There's always a bit of slave auction mentality when it comes to the draft. Teams get seduced by physical numbers. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't.

I think they might be... If they weren't, Amba would have been a 2 day pick.
Based on what???

His stellar NFL production so far??

He was drafted right where he was supposed to be drafted.

Not at all.

Maybe he can join that new league, and catch passes from Hackenberg.

Like Custis will be.

Think Custis will be a late round draft pick. Great measurables and some good production as a Senior. I don't recall seeing a ton of drops from him, just not good enough going after those 50/50 balls like Ish. He sometimes played like he was 5'11. But he has a ton of ability. Maybe scouts see him as a late bloomer.

Hes low on draft boards but if he gets a combine invite I'd assume he sneaks into the last few rounds. He is going to be a better special team option than most everyone ahead of him. That will get his foot in the door and injuries could lead to some run at WR.

How come he can’t move to tight end. I see a ton of te that have comparable talent to him. He don’t have to stay at receiver.

How come he can’t move to tight end. I see a ton of te that have comparable talent to him. He don’t have to stay at receiver.

Because tight ends are large men who spend a great deal of time run blocking.

For some reason people think QBs (Dungey) and WRs can just make this switch. It's not that simple.

Because tight ends are large men who spend a great deal of time run blocking.

For some reason people think QBs (Dungey) and WRs can just make this switch. It's not that simple.
He is 6’5” at 220 ish. Why can’t he add 20 lbs. for him and his frame it’s a possible switch. Also te in pros don’t block all the time unless ur just a blocking te. I see te go for passes sometimes 70% of the time or sit out some run plays.

Based on what???

His stellar NFL production so far??

He was drafted right where he was supposed to be drafted.

Not at all.

Maybe he can join that new league, and catch passes from Hackenberg.

Like Custis will be.

I think you missed the point.

I will buy you a car if Jamal Custis, WR, Syracuse is drafted in the first round.

It has to be running

junker.jpg

I think you missed the point.
If your point isn’t NFL scouts and GMs are stupid and you are correct (meaning the guys you named should’ve been drafted. why, we still have NO clue) then yes, I missed the point.

Idk what’s gonna happen but I will say this ... 6 5” that can run is rare and his hands were pretty reliable . I missed watching a lot of college football due to cuse / traveling to compare him but SIZE MATTERS . Best of luck to him . The bowl and all star game could boost his stock

If your point isn’t NFL scouts and GMs are stupid and you are correct (meaning the guys you named should’ve been drafted. why, we still have NO clue) then yes, I missed the point.

How about you go back, and read it real slow. You seem angry.

How about you go back, and read it real slow. You seem angry.
No, don’t care too.

And no, not angry at all.

Just laughing at the names listed and their pro prospects as decided by the board here, whether it’s past or future.

I’m good.

Mike Williams went 4th round. Etta Tawo and Ishmael were undrafted.

Custus is likely not getting drafted. 2nd round??? No way.

Mike Williams would have gone 1-3 if he wasn't a knucklehead. Cost himself a season and then quit when he was one of the best wideouts in the country. All the tools and couldn't put it together.

I love what Custis did for us this year, but he's a 7th Round/UDFA type guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom