Custis and the draft... | Syracusefan.com

Custis and the draft...

supp

Hall of Fame
He had a big year. Bunch of drops but he made up for those with some incredible catches. I think he's going to be one of those guys that gets a big boost in the build-up to the draft. He'll go to the combine and put up crazy numbers for a 6-5 guy and he'll wind up going in the 2nd round. Physically, he's definitely a NFLer so he'll get some team to bite. Now what happens next, I've got no clue. He's got the skills to play at that level. Consistency (plus lots of injuries) was a problem here.

He had a big year. Bunch of drops but he made up for those with some incredible catches. I think he's going to be one of those guys that gets a big boost in the build-up to the draft. He'll go to the combine and put up crazy numbers for a 6-5 guy and he'll wind up going in the 2nd round. Physically, he's definitely a NFLer so he'll get some team to bite. Now what happens next, I've got no clue. He's got the skills to play at that level. Consistency (plus lots of injuries) was a problem here.

I'd like to believe that. Of course. But that's basically what we said coming out of high school and it took him -- how long?? -- to produce, on those days when he was present.

Yeah, physically he's off the charts, but teams aren't blind to the production issue.

I can see him catching on somewhere based on his special teams play.

That would really surprise me. Hard to he a receiver in the NFL if you can't get your share of 50-50 balls. Don't want to jinx him so hope I will be surprised.

To me, hes a poor mans johnnie morant and morant couldnt stick in the nfl. However, coach babers has said he could make it as a special teamer so thats where his value lies. He shoukd try to emulate david tyree.

2nd round???? No

2nd round???? No

Agree no way he’s a day two pick, late rd or UFA is where he’s ready. As others have said he will be a special teamer and don’t see him making an NFL roster at the WR spot

No offense but.....you out you g'dam mind. If AET and Ishmael didn't get drafted then no way in H E double hockey sticks is Custis getting drafted. Ishmael broke Harrison's all-time receiving record. Didn't get drafted.

No, but one more reason to like Dino, per his radio show earlier this year: part of the reason he puts guys like Custis on special teams is because that's their only hope of playing for pay in the future. Anything to give them a leg up on the guys they'll be competing against for a roster spot.

I don't know much about the technical end, but to me it looks like Custis had a standout year as a gunner and the right NFL team might appreciate that next season.

I can see him getting a look given his size/body and work on specials. Curious how his speed translates and how people rate his hands.

In the NFL, the ability to create and accelerate matter more than size. 10 years ago I feel like he would have had a better shot.

I will buy you a car if Jamal Custis, WR, Syracuse is drafted in the first round.

No offense but...you out you g'dam mind. If AET and Ishmael didn't get drafted then no way in H E double hockey sticks is Custis getting drafted. Ishmael broke Harrison's all-time receiving record. Didn't get drafted.

Neither of them had the physical attributes that Custis has. They were highly productive at the college level but neither had the foot speed.

2nd round is crazy talk but I think the point the OP was trying to make is a valid one in that sleepers with his physical attributes have blown up before after a good combine and flew up the charts. He may not even get invited to the combine though so it would more than likely have to happen at a pro day on campus which makes the odds even less.

No, but one more reason to like Dino, per his radio show earlier this year: part of the reason he puts guys like Custis on special teams is because that's their only hope of playing for pay in the future. Anything to give them a leg up on the guys they'll be competing against for a roster spot.

I don't know much about the technical end, but to me it looks like Custis had a standout year as a gunner and the right NFL team might appreciate that next season.
If JC possessed Ish's hands and ability to win 50/50 balls, he'd get drafted by the 4th or 5th round.

Sadly, in many ways, his drops are as memorable as his catches. I vividly remember three perfect passes dropped while running the the right sideline. Maybe he has difficulty catching over his left shoulder.

Late round draft pick, or UFA. I bet he will be viewed as a project who's ceiling will be big red zone target. Reminds me of the WR the Giants took a shot on a few years back. Didn't have eye popping numbers even at a 1 AA, but his body was ideal for redzone targets.
Ramses Barden from Cal-Poly

Neither of them had the physical attributes that Custis has. They were highly productive at the college level but neither had the foot speed.

2nd round is crazy talk but I think the point the OP was trying to make is a valid one in that sleepers with his physical attributes have blown up before after a good combine and flew up the charts. He may not even get invited to the combine though so it would more than likely have to happen at a pro day on campus which makes the odds even less.

He's a Senior Bowl invite. He's on the scouts' radar definitely. Many of those Senior Bowl guys get combine invites. Slayton will be a combine invite too. Winning this year helps. That in itself (counter-inituitively) boosts visibility among scouts (who are supposed to find talent no matter what the team does). Winning can even have an effect on draft position. On that front, he's ahead of his predecessors. He's also a monster physically compared to both AET and Ishmael. Massive frame, massive hands, great speed for a guy his size. Someone will draft him on measurables alone. 2nd round may be too high for someone with such a limited track record but he'll get someone to bite on the 3rd day.

What am I missing here?

AET official combine 40: 4.49
Ishmael 40: 4.59
Custis 40: listed at 4.5 on syr.com based on Dungey quote

What am I missing here?

AET official combine 40: 4.49
Ishmael 40: 4.59
Custis 40: listed at 4.5 on syr.com based on Dungey quote

6'5"

Custis certainly has the physical attributes that teams covet. Unfortunately, he happens to be coming out in what might be the deepest WR class we've seen since at least the Sammy Watkins/Mike Evans/Odell class if not before that. And on top of that, Custis just doesn't have the skills to be more than a late round project.

I'd like to believe that. Of course. But that's basically what we said coming out of high school and it took him -- how long?? -- to produce, on those days when he was present.

Yeah, physically he's off the charts, but teams aren't blind to the production issue.

I can see him catching on somewhere based on his special teams play.

I think they might be... If they weren't, Amba would have been a 2 day pick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom